Weird private-label tire names

Trolling or not, I personally think "Firehawk" is a silly name. I cringe whenever I happen to see that word on the sidewalls of my FRS.

While this thread is about weird sounding obscure tire brands, I think there's a good amount strange names among established tire brands. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 is a bit a of a tongue twister. And I have no idea what Continental was thinking of with their ContiEcoProForceSportContact DWS06+Sport 02 naming scheme nonsense.

Firehawk has been used for more than just tires, so it's not that much of an oddball.

Describe in detail your bad experiences with "cheap" brakes and tires. Be specific.
I haven't had any... (And Ive used quite a few and installed a lot as a used car tech) Probably my only complaint is the tread depth starts out at 8-9/32" on most of them instead of 10-11/32", but when you're paying less than half the price 🤷.

Usually the only bad stories I've seen on here were from "my uncle's moms twice removed cousin had an issue" type of story.

Currently in Ecuador. It seems that Goodride, Double Coin, and other Chinese brands are very common. They had General Tires in a department store at about $100.00 more than what I was quoted in the US for my wife's Santa Fe. I suspect that and the average monthly income being around $800.00 has something to do with it.

Currently in Ecuador. It seems that Goodride, Double Coin, and other Chinese brands are very common. They had General Tires in a department store at about $100.00 more than what I was quoted in the US for my wife's Santa Fe. I suspect that and the average monthly income being around $800.00 has something to do with it.
DoubleCoin does make good OTR tires, they use Goodyear patents and even IC Bus(the school bus arm of Navistar) uses them as OE.

Reactions: CKN
Describe in detail your bad experiences with "cheap" brakes and tires. Be specific.
Sure.
Example #1 Decades ago, my dad bought "SAVA" brand radial tires from Slovenia at a local tire store. He was being cheap. They were installed on our VW Bug that he used as a commuter car. About two years into use, with plenty of tread, the rear tires started losing large (like 3" to 4") chunks of tread that delaminated off the tire. You could see the belts underneath. They were not retreaded, they were new radials at time of purchase.

#2 Bought a horse trailer, and a few years later, get a recall notice that the tires on it (Chinese no name) are recalled, due to frequent blow outs. Get this: The importer went immediately bankrupt, so there was no recourse for free or discounted replacements, other than pay for new ones on my own. And we weren't risking our horses on those tires a minute longer.

Note a common theme? Cheap tires from commies. :)

Last edited:
Sure.
Example #1 Decades ago, my dad bought "SAVA" brand radial tires from Slovenia at a local tire store. He was being cheap. They were installed on our VW Bug that he used as a commuter car. About two years into use, with plenty of tread, the rear tires started losing large (like 3" to 4") chunks of tread that delaminated off the tire. You could see the belts underneath. They were not retreaded, they were new radials at time of purchase.

#2 Bought a horse trailer, and a few years later, get a recall notice that the tires on it (Chinese no name) are recalled, due to frequent blow outs. Get this: The importer went immediately bankrupt, so there was no recourse for free or discounted replacements, other than pay for new ones on my own. And we weren't risking our horses on those tires a minute longer.

So..."decades ago", which makes me think you made the whole thing up, since Sava tires weren't imported until 1998. Slovenia was never a communist country. (It wasn't a country at all until 1991.)

And trailer tires, which are mostly garbage and have been forever.

So..."decades ago", which makes me think you made the whole thing up, since Sava tires weren't imported until 1998. Slovenia was never a communist country. (It wasn't a country at all until 1991.)

Well I had to look up Sava before I posted (excuse my lack of knowledge of when they became a country) and that was the listed country of origin, so they were from the former Yugoslavia if it was that long ago. These tires were purchased in the 80s, yes. The incident stuck in my mind all these years for two reasons, one, never seen a tire delaminate like that before or after. Was having vibrations, and I drove the car to a high school buddy, who worked at a gas station. He put it on the lift to inspect the tires and suspension and we immediately saw the problem. He pointed and laughed "what the hell is Sava tires?!" Then made fun of the country they came from. Told me to take it to the Goodyear store down the street ASAP, before one of them blows out.

Yes, trailer tires do suck, but these caused so many accidents, it created a federally mandated recall, bankrupting the importer.

Last edited:
Sure.

No name or so called funny named tires are all over South America on all types of vehicles. It's because China and South American countries do a lot of trading. I am currently on a cruise around South America and have first hand knowledge. Was on a tour yesterday in a dually 16 passenger high top Ford Transit passenger van. Rode on " Goodride Tires". So yea- Chinese. I didn't see as any vehicle where the tires blew up either.

Sure.

The 90's were a bad time for even some of the major players in the tire game.

I remember reading many stories about Goodyear and Firestone tire tread separation.

Trailer tires from nearly every company are trash for some reason, I've had to have a few warrantied from Les Schwab (don't remember the brand at the moment, but you'd think one of the main tire dealers wouldn't sell junk)

The 90's were a bad time for even some of the major players in the tire game.

I remember reading many stories about Goodyear and Firestone tire tread separation.

Trailer tires from nearly every company are trash for some reason, I've had to have a few warrantied from Les Schwab (don't remember the brand at the moment, but you'd think one of the main tire dealers wouldn't sell junk)
Trailer tires are neglected and heavily loaded. And many are junk.

I mean... It's 2023, a couple decades ago would have been the early 2000's (feeling old now)

You can get Big O tires from their chain of auto shops. They are a lot like a Firestone chain/tire in presentation. No idea who makes them etc.

Screenshot_20230129-032742_Gallery.jpg

Back