Weird private-label tire names

Saw a set of Fortune Perfectus tires on a Prius today.

Of course I'm riding around on a set of Phantom A/Ps so I'm one to talk

IMG_3162.jpg

Saw a set of Fortune Perfectus tires on a Prius today.

Of course I'm riding around on a set of Phantom A/Ps so I'm one to talk

View attachment 74184
I see a lot of weird tires on Prii. Seeing how 80% are Uber, Lyft, Doordash or Amazon driven, you ain’t gonna buy Michelin/Conti on a gig worker wage. Costco’s been trigger happy about revoking their road hazard to Uber drivers, as they should.

Saw them on a car just today. They looked brand new. Never knew there was such a brand!

Hence the term I guess - Brand new. :rolleyes:
Achilles have actually been around a long time- they actually aren't even a no name Chinese brand, they are a sub brand of Indonesia's top tire manufacturer, Multistrada Arah Sarana, or MASA. They aren't amazing but they are a solid bet over the actual no name chinese ones.

Brand names I’ve had.

Vredistein (spelling)
Englebert
Siberling NyTex

In a similar vein, Vredestein is a 100+ year old Dutch tire company that hasn't been present in the US. They've recently entered into the US market in a big way with the new Quatrac Pro, Hypertrac, and Hitrac (reviews of all these are over on Tirerack- all of their US market tires are made in Hungary too)

Seen some Nankang the other day. I’ve seen and heard of them before just it’s rare. I also hate the names of cheap tires like Sumitomo and Sailun. We sure do sell a lot of both of those though. We had a used car traded in with LandSail tires on it. First time ever hearing of those. They were cheap we replaced them with a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw. I think Westlake is a pretty funny name and the tires are no good haha.

Seen some Nankang the other day. I’ve seen and heard of them before just it’s rare. I also hate the names of cheap tires like Sumitomo and Sailun. We sure do sell a lot of both of those though. We had a used car traded in with LandSail tires on it. First time ever hearing of those. They were cheap we replaced them with a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw. I think Westlake is a pretty funny name and the tires are no good haha.
Here's another one for you, lol. Sumitomo is a massive Japanese tire company, they make a lot of competition tires and high performance tires that are well respected in the US. But yeah, it's just a shame that there are plenty of good brands mixed in that your average (or even above average) person can't distinguish one from the other, if it doesn't have "Michelin" or "Goodyear" on it.

Here's another one for you, lol. Sumitomo is a massive Japanese tire company, they make a lot of competition tires and high performance tires that are well respected in the US. But yeah, it's just a shame that there are plenty of good brands mixed in that your average (or even above average) person can't distinguish one from the other, if it doesn't have "Michelin" or "Goodyear" on it.
I consider Goodyear a very low brand here in recent years but that is just me haha. Good to know about the Sumitomo though I probably still would not buy them cause I don’t know a lot about them and if most people don’t know they are good I don’t want them thinking I buy cheap tires lol. I do know we had a car at the dealership and we put a set of Sumitomo on it to sell it well we had a customer come and make us put a set of any name brand tires on before he would leave the lot in it at our cost of course no cost to him. We put MasterCraft on it and sent it down the road lol. Used the Sumitomo on something else.

Replacing Sumitomo with Mastercraft, lol. Like replacing Fridays with Wendys (I understand why just still funny)
Oh yeah I know haha. Well I know now anyway. MasterCraft is ok but definitely not my first choice in tires it’s just it was the cheapest tire we could find to meet the customers satisfaction haha. I still laugh every time I see something like a Ling Long or Ironman though those are by far the funniest.

I have had several cars with Sumitomo tires on it over the years and never had any issues. They were all made in the USA if I remember correctly. Def wouldn't trade that for Mastercraft. Funny how people in the south just won't accept anything with a foreign name not knowing it was actually made here.

Now if you really want to make money, you need to make YEEHAW tires, that would sell like hot cakes. And maybe a high end southern line called YEET YEET.

I have had several cars with Sumitomo tires on it over the years and never had any issues. They were all made in the USA if I remember correctly. Def wouldn't trade that for Mastercraft. Funny how people in the south just won't accept anything with a foreign name not knowing it was actually made here.

Now if you really want to make money, you need to make YEEHAW tires, that would sell like hot cakes. And maybe a high end southern line called YEET YEET.
An even hotter take is thinking that stuff that is made outside the US can often be as good or even better than US made stuff.

Seen some Black Lion and Blackhawk today. Had forgotten all about them. And PrinX or something like that too. And the funniest I thought was Cambridge. These were on used high mileage cars at a dealership. They had plenty of Ironman installed too. Never will understand why people get cheap tires. At the dealership I work at we do a lot of swapping if people don’t like the tires. There was something like Otani or something too that were installed on a Chevy Colorado. It made me sick haha. So that’s my spottings for the day.

I'm not a fan of the private labels BUT if you had to make a choice for you, family, or car behind you, would you go with the bald, cords showing major brand OR a full tread depth off brand that you could maybe afford? Maybe even used versions but still legal?

I saw the signs for them at PepBoys the other day BUT haven't seen them on any cars in a long time - Kelly Springfield (owned by Goodyear). When I was young I saw them often on cars and trucks, now?

I do see many cars with all the odd name brands listed by others.

Back