Weightlifting When Older

I'm 84 and go to an Aqua fitness class 3X times a week. I use resistance paddles during part of the program. My Fitbit watch usually records 2,00 to 2300 steps in the 50-minute class. No heavy-duty workout but, I feel much better when I'm finished. I prefer the pool because it is easier on my joints and feet. 85 next Feb. Yaaa
Very impressed. I want to be that person too when I get to your age.

as i continue to watch Graysteel vids he notes the same as Dr Sten Ekbug "the body was made to move" + Ekburg always emphasizes getting HEALTHY!! being stronger is good BUT HEALTHIER is BEST!!
Strength is part of health.

How healthy do you think you are when you can't get out of your seat unassisted or when your bones become brittle as glass? The older we get, the more important strength training becomes.

Training depends on goals. Size or strength your goal? Are you using good form? Are you eating enough especially protein? Getting enough rest? Age isn't really the issue except it is harder to gain muscle with age and easy to overtrain.

I'm doing EGYM at the Y 3x a week. Highly recommended.

You go through a one-time orientation with a staff person, who sets up the machines for you.

You get a wristband with a chip - when you log into each machine, the machine automatically adjusts to your position, and selects the appropriate resistance. The resistance is electromagnetic, so very smooth.

A set is 20 reps. You move the weight such that you track the moving sinusoidal pattern on the screen. It's been likened to playing an ancient video game.

Every six sessions you're tested for maximum strength, and the resistance is changed accordingly.

At that time, the machines also go into Negative mode, where the reps are cut to 15, and the weight to be raised is dropped and the weight to be lowered is increased significantly.

Our Y has 11 machines (out of 17 available). Two circuits of the 11 machines takes about 50 minutes. It's a very efficient way to do resistance training.

There's a free app which tracks your progress, calculates your biological strength age, and displays your muscle imbalances.

Back