Wear metals in a 2-cycle engine??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just never thought much about wear metals in a 2 stroke.....and I figured most came out the exhaust port - but was worrying the break-in wear metals may end up in the bottom end :yikes:

Has anyone studied this?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I just never thought much about wear metals in a 2 stroke.....and I figured most came out the exhaust port - but was worrying the break-in wear metals may end up in the bottom end :yikes:

Has anyone studied this?

Nope......I don't even know how you could do a "UOA" on one
21.gif

I wonder if Terry would know.

I know the oil/gas combo lubes the internal parts of the engine, then as u said, it spits the fumes out of the exhaust. I dunno

Last edited:
Well obviously you can't do a UOA, it makes one wonder.

The main reason this came up was when I was trying to get my little 80cc bike motor to run properly and not flood out, there was a lot of very oily gas about, to the point I had to air the engine out. And I started thinking about all the break-in wear metals in this oily gas mixture!

yea I knew a UOA was out, but I wonder if there is any other way to check for normal/excess wear........this may seem strange but I run M1 synthetic 2 stroke oil in my Homelite blower and weedeater.
LOL.gif

I wonder if you took some of that oil residue or had a way to capture the exhaust smoke somehow, you could have a "UOA" done on it.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I just never thought much about wear metals in a 2 stroke.....and I figured most came out the exhaust port -

This has been my theory for the 35 or so years I worked on snowmobile and outboard engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back