"Wax" knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection is a synthetic paint sealant. It has a consistency close to water. Must be applied very thinly and left at least 30 minutes to cure. Can be layered. For best results, buff off the first coat after 30 minutes, then add a second and leave it over night undercover. Remove in the morning.

extra_gloss_protection_website_canvas_150dpi_3.png

one bottle will last a very long time as you don't need to use much. Carrnuba wax can then be applied over the top if desired.

Have it on my single stage yellow, Pulsar GTiR.

Regards
Jordan

please,before you wax anything make sure you polish your paint! auto geek is a good site to check out and its where i get all my stuff from. many options to choose. Also you will find certain combos work better on certain colors if that makes sense to you.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
You have 2 choices...
1. Do a layer of 601 and then don't remove it, then add a layer of 111 and then wipe off after an hour or so.
2. The easy way and the way DG recommends: Mix 1 part 601 to 4 parts 111 (or 105). I used some cheap mixing bottle from the dollar store. Work in small quantities, it hardens in about 2 hours and becomes unusable, it's an epoxy. I think I Let used a table spoon as a part and it was enough to do my Cherokee. Let it cure for about 45 mins - 1hr before wiping off.

I'm with you.....a die hard Duragloss fan. Even just using #105 by itself leaves a remarkable and durable finish. It's cheap, exceptionally easy to apply & remove, looks great, and lasts. Mixed with #601 it's almost bulletproof. #501 and #105 are two products, along with Aquawax, that I won't be without.

An old-fashioned wax and a sealant are really two different products. To complicate things there's no real clear rule about what constitutes a sealant and what constitutes a wax. Lots of products have some of both. Collinite "wax" has plenty of weird chemicals in it and is about as durable as it comes.

Also, it's not necessarily true that what the hobbyists call "beauty" wax ( applied on top of a fresh coat of sealant) is difficult to apply. In my limited experience it goes right on---after hours of prep work.

I've come full circle---for bang for the buck, that is, most durability and best look for least effort, I like Optimum spray wax. At least here in my cool climate. It lasts three or four months. It's kind of an average sealant, except you spray it on.

For a new car, I would definitely clay bar it.
Now that I've gone through my can of Collinite I think I will give that two part Duragloss product a try: But it's probably not necessary.

Finish Kare 1000, Big White High Temp Wax is great for places like FL when the car is stored outside. Last 4-6 months in direct sun!

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Meguiars Ultimate Synthetic Wax,
cheers3.gif

I second that one.

It has polymers AND cleaners. Goes on and buffs off easily.

Warning: Long post :)

Over the past ~15 years I've developed pretty extensive experience with a few products and spent way too much time on the Autopia forums learning all I can about this. It's a rabbit-hole, don't go too far down it.

Long story short, Klasse and Duragloss are my favorites, with a slight edge to Klasse.

The two-part system of Klasse All-in-One (AIO) followed by Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (KSG or HGSG for short) will last easily three months of normal driving. This from someone who subjects his cars to the daily abuses of a Minnesota winter. If you can layer the HGSG it will last easily six months, and up to a year with maintenance. By maintenance, I mean hand washing and then waxing as you dry using a dilute solution of HGSG. My recent formula has been 12oz of Meguiars Ulitmate Liquid Wax (also known as Synthetic Express Spray Wax) with 2oz of HGSG in it. I've just bought a bottle of Sonus Acrylic Glanz which is supposed to be Klasse compatible. I haven't tried it yet though. (probably tonight)

I also have extensive experience with both Duragloss and Zaino, which are very similar chemistries and product lines. Don't waste your money on Zaino, DG is at least as good and much less expensive. There are two reasons I prefer Klasse to DG. First, Klasse protects against acidic bug gut etching substantially better than DG (or Zaino), especially on paint protection film, which I have on my hoods and front bumpers. With DG you have maybe 36 hours to get the bugs off before a stain will be visible. With a reasonably fresh coat of Klasse I've waited a week without consequences. Mind you, here in Minnesota we don't have swarms of love bugs, which I hear are terrible for etching.

The second reason I prefer Klasse to DG is the way it protects and beautifies hard rubber and black plastic. You have to be careful with the AIO as it will stick to trim, though its relatively easy to remove. The HGSG though I deliberately put on black plastic and rubber. The mudguards and window trim of my 10 year old Subaru look brand new as a result. I've even gone to using my HGSG spiked quick-wax as an interior dressing, replacing my trusty 303. My Honda, by contrast has been on Zaino/DG, and some exterior trim fading is apparent. DG111 does work on trim, it's just not as well as KSG.

Now for the upsides to Duragloss. It's substantially easier to use than Klasse, especially #105 used with a dual-action polisher (DAP). Anybody who says synthetics are universally easy to use hasn't tried many. Klass is a real PIA if you don't know the technique. It must go on "whisper thin" if you're going to let it dry before buffing or you'll never get it buffed off. I use a wipe-on wipe-off technique where I don't let it dry. Duragloss also has the polish bonding agent (#601) which I consider essential to the system. Apply #105 with a DAP, then mix up an ounce of #111 with 0.2 oz of #601 in a small jar. If you arrange it right you can do three coats of #111 from that jar over the next ~3 hours which will give you an incredibly durable finish in little time. Applying a coat of #111 to the exterior of an average size car takes no more than half an hour.

If I want to layer with Klasse I have to wait at least eight hours for it to cure before applying the next coat, which means I have to plan my entire weekend around waxing the car. I have not yet tried polycharger which accelerates curing for Klasse the way #601 PBA does for Duragloss. I'm planning to try it in the spring.

The other thing I love about Duragloss is the completeness of their system of products, including rinseless wash, rinseless wash+wax, Aquawax for wax-as-you-dry and especially the bug remover, god do I love the bug remover. It makes bug removal really easy but does not remove the sealant the way most harsh products do. Lucky for me the bug remover seems equally gentle on Klasse as on Duragloss.

If you want more polishing action you can substitute Duragloss #501 (Marine & RV) for #105 as the priming step. Don't worry that it's a marine/RV product, car enthusiasts have been using it for years without consequence.

A couple years ago I conducted an experiment where I divided my Honda into four quadrants and used four different synthetic primer + LSPs on it:
Duragloss #105 followed by #111, both with #601 PBA
Finish Kare #215 followed by #1000P paste wax
Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax primed with Meguiars Ultimate Polish
Klasse AIO + High Gloss Sealant Glaze (one coat each)

My notes from the winter time test distill to this:
Duragloss - Shines extremely well, very durable, good at shedding contaminants, easy to apply, mediocre on trim.

Finish Kare - Shines extremely well, very durable, excellent at shedding contaminants, difficult to apply (shows white streaks in seams of paint film), good on smooth trim, but tough to apply and sticks to textured trim.

Meg's Ultimate - Shines exceptionally when new, but fades, mediocre durability, mediocre contaminant shedding, easy to use but not particuarly good on trim.

Klasse - Initial shine is mediocre (looks like you wrapped the car in Saran wrap), very durable, good at shedding contaminants, difficult to apply, great on trim.

I've also used Opti-Coat 2.0 on my parent's cars and a couple of friends, also on my personal wheels. It's good for the casual owner who wants a car that looks good for a long time, but it only looks great for the couple of months after the coating. People say it sheds contaminants well, but my experience is its comparable to DG and Klasse, and not nearly as good as FK1000P. I'm considering trying Duragloss' coating on my parents cars now that Optimum no longer sells their durable coatings to the DIYer. Opti-Coat 2.0 lasted about 3.5 years on my parent's cars.

Sorry for the long post, I'm simplifying my system and getting rid of what I don't need, if you want any of the products mentioned above (except Opti-coat), PM me. Free to a good home, pay shipping.

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
Warning: Long post :)

Over the past ~15 years I've developed pretty extensive experience with a few products and spent way too much time on the Autopia forums learning all I can about this. It's a rabbit-hole, don't go too far down it.

Long story short, Klasse and Duragloss are my favorites, with a slight edge to Klasse.

I was a member on autopia back in 09/10 and just tried to log in the other day but because it has been a few years, (I assume) I was rejected?
Regardless, I spent enough time there to realize, (and not being a professional detailer) and like this site, you can drive yourself batty with the plethora of info within!
sick.gif

Curious, however, with your trials and tribulations, did you ever try Collinite 845 Insulator wax? It was a member on Autopia who recommended it to me for my black sierra p/u I owned back then, and once I used it, I have never looked back. The days of me having the wettest/shiniest car in the hood are far behind me and although this wax is exceptional in that dept, imo, nowadays I strictly use it for the long lasting/durability of it more than anything.

I have used a variety of waxes over the years, (I have show car) and I'm anal, and nothing, imo, comes close to lasting as long as the Collinite's does.
I did my wife's Impala with it today and it looks great imo, ([censored] cellphone pics) but the best part is knowing that this wax will have no trouble getting me through until the spring (Apr/May)
cheers3.gif

Sorry for the long post, I'm simplifying my system and getting rid of what I don't need, if you want any of the products mentioned above (except Opti-coat), PM me. Free to a good home, pay shipping.

Thank you for the excellent write-up. I finally finished off some DG #101 which has a little bit of polish in it. I'd love to try out some of the other DG products you mentioned. I've tried their bug cleaner, car wash, Aquawax among others and really liked them all. Gave a bottle of #105 to my brother as a gift but never tried it myself. I'll send you a PM.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
I was a member on autopia back in 09/10 and just tried to log in the other day but because it has been a few years, (I assume) I was rejected?

I had the same problem just a couple days ago. I was looking to post in the "swap meet" forum my products for distribution. I sent an e-mail to the administrators, no response yet. They're apparently consolidating autopiaforums.com and autopia.org. It seems there's been some discord and fragmentation of the community. I see autopia-carcare.com is actually run by Palm Beach Motoring Group (Autogeek), while Autopia.org and Autopiaforums.com are someone else. I've no idea what's happened or if they ever were all one organization.

Regardless, I spent enough time there to realize, (and not being a professional detailer) and like this site, you can drive yourself batty with the plethora of info within!
sick.gif

Curious, however, with your trials and tribulations, did you ever try Collinite 845 Insulator wax? It was a member on Autopia who recommended it to me for my black sierra p/u I owned back then, and once I used it, I have never looked back. The days of me having the wettest/shiniest car in the hood are far behind me and although this wax is exceptional in that dept, imo, nowadays I strictly use it for the long lasting/durability of it more than anything.

I have used a variety of waxes over the years, (I have show car) and I'm anal, and nothing, imo, comes close to lasting as long as the Collinite's does.

I'll admit I've never tried Collinite of any flavor. My memory of exactly why I haven't tried it is a bit limited. As I recall, many believe an acrylic sealant like Klasse, topped with a carnuba like 845 provides some of the best protection and contaminant release available. The downside to this approach is you can't layer more acrylic on top of the carnuba, it won't stick properly. That I belive is why I've never tried it, that and carnuba's reputation for difficult use which my long ago experience with products like Mothers and Meguiars paste waxes bore out. I'm aware #845 is supposed to be easier to use, I've just never gotten around to trying it. Too many products to try, and a truly good trial takes 4+ years of repeated use.
cheers3.gif
Have you given modern synthetics, properly layered, a good try? I'm sad at the demise of Jeff's Werkstat and the unavailability of Carlack in the US, those were on my list for possible improved formulations to Klasse.

I had the same problem just a couple days ago. I was looking to post in the "swap meet" forum my products for distribution. I sent an e-mail to the administrators, no response yet. They're apparently consolidating autopiaforums.com and autopia.org. It seems there's been some discord and fragmentation of the community. I see autopia-carcare.com is actually run by Palm Beach Motoring Group (Autogeek), while Autopia.org and Autopiaforums.com are someone else. I've no idea what's happened or if they ever were all one organization.

sick.gif

I'll admit I've never tried Collinite of any flavor. My memory of exactly why I haven't tried it is a bit limited. As I recall, many believe an acrylic sealant like Klasse, topped with a carnuba like 845 provides some of the best protection and contaminant release available. The downside to this approach is you can't layer more acrylic on top of the carnuba, it won't stick properly. That I belive is why I've never tried it, that and carnuba's reputation for difficult use which my long ago experience with products like Mothers and Meguiars paste waxes bore out. I'm aware #845 is supposed to be easier to use, I've just never gotten around to trying it. Too many products to try, and a truly good trial takes 4+ years of repeated use.
cheers3.gif
Have you given modern synthetics, properly layered, a good try? I'm sad at the demise of Jeff's Werkstat and the unavailability of Carlack in the US, those were on my list for possible improved formulations to Klasse.

Interesting to hear about Autopia. At this point in my life I don't think I am going to delve into too much looking to rejoin again as, for the most part, those days of waxing, washing. buffing etc are behind me.

To be honest, I have never tried modern synthetic waxes, but if those require layering, I don't see any use with those in the future either.

I have about 2 bottles of Collinite 845 currently and with the little amount needed for a full wax, it will be quite a while before I'll need more or be in the market for something new to try.
My current regimen, is a 2 times a year wax using Collinite's. I just got around today to finally getting my truck done. My wife's car yesterday and my Ram today. Glad that is done!

Thanks for your honest reply and your feedback. It made for some great reading.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I have been getting my supplies from Autopia. Their forums have quieted down a lot recently though. Same with Autogeek which is the same company. With their constant sales going on, it makes me wonder if they are doing well $$ wise?

“I had the same problem just a couple days ago. I was looking to post in the "swap meet" forum my products for distribution. I sent an e-mail to the administrators, no response yet. They're apparently consolidating autopiaforums.com and autopia.org. It seems there's been some discord and fragmentation of the community. I see autopia-carcare.com is actually run by Palm Beach Motoring Group (Autogeek), while Autopia.org and Autopiaforums.com are someone else. I've no idea what's happened or if they ever were all one organization. “

One thing I have wondered about is all the brands that come under PBMG. Wolfgang, McKees, Pinnacle and its sub-brands, and Blackfire. I suspect that while these are pushed as individual brands they are all one and the same. Kind of like Procter and Gamble with all their brands of detergents. It is just my speculation but it does make me wonder.

To be honest, I have never tried modern synthetic waxes, but if those require layering, I don't see any use with those in the future either.

Well, they don't necessarily require layering, that's just the way you get the best protection and durability. The thing is, in my experience the trim friendliness of the synthetics allows you to apply the pure sealant extremely quickly. Using a WoWo technique I can do the entire car with KSG in 15-20 min. The PIA with Klasse is that I have to let it cure for 8+ hours, and therefore have to plan my weekend around it. I still need to try polycharger. With Duragloss, the #601 PBA makes it an easy process, just clean the interior or dress the door seals (or grab a beer) between coats and that's enough cure time.

With the carnubas I've tried, just the care required to wax up to, but not onto the trim makes the application process much more time consuming. So much so that the actual application time is about a wash for me.

What do you use as a priming step for 845? Do you use #840? How's the cleaning power? Is it hard to remove from trim when I inevitably miss with the DAP? I've heard of others using either KAIO or a pure cleaner/polish like Zaino Z-PC or Duragloss #652.

I should maybe give Collinite a try, but dammit I'm just getting around to simplifying my bin of detailing products. Stupid obsessive compulsive disorder.
grin.gif

Well, they don't necessarily require layering, that's just the way you get the best protection and durability. The thing is, in my experience the trim friendliness of the synthetics allows you to apply the pure sealant extremely quickly. Using a WoWo technique I can do the entire car with KSG in 15-20 min. The PIA with Klasse is that I have to let it cure for 8+ hours, and therefore have to plan my weekend around it. I still need to try polycharger. With Duragloss, the #601 PBA makes it an easy process, just clean the interior or dress the door seals (or grab a beer) between coats and that's enough cure time.

With the carnubas I've tried, just the care required to wax up to, but not onto the trim makes the application process much more time consuming. So much so that the actual application time is about a wash for me.

What do you use as a priming step for 845? Do you use #840? How's the cleaning power? Is it hard to remove from trim when I inevitably miss with the DAP? I've heard of others using either KAIO or a pure cleaner/polish like Zaino Z-PC or Duragloss #652.

I should maybe give Collinite a try, but dammit I'm just getting around to simplifying my bin of detailing products. Stupid obsessive compulsive disorder.
grin.gif

crackmeup2.gif
Luckily for me I don't have OCD when it comes to waxing. I just washed using Optimum car wash, dried thoroughly then applied my Collinite's. Not that I have ever done any type of priming step before waxing, other than a thorough wash, this time I was pressed for time as I had 2 vehicles to do so I wanted to keep it as painless and as quick as possible.

I know I am likely not reaping the full benefits out of my wax nor protecting my vehicles the best I can by not doing a bunch of pre-prep work, but truth be told, my vehicles always look great and I've never had any trouble whatsoever selling any of them either.
To each their own.
cheers3.gif

I've heard of others using either KAIO or a pure cleaner/polish like Zaino Z-PC or Duragloss #652.

That's another product I tried and liked. I used it for scratch removal and was able to get rid of some pretty bad scuffs on my dad's car. He was amazed I was able to get rid of them.

The Swirl Remover is good as well for getting rid of spider webbing and leaving some protection behind. Kind of like #101 but with more polish in it.

Not that I have ever done any type of priming step before waxing, other than a thorough wash, this time I was pressed for time as I had 2 vehicles to do so I wanted to keep it as painless and as quick as possible.

Try this simple step to get the surface squeaky clean prior to applying any wax. Buy some 70% rubbing alcohol and pour in a spray bottle. Spray the car's paint and wipe with a plush MF towel. Helps get rid of sap, tar, left over wax residue etc. Improves the durability quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Try this simple step to get the surface squeaky clean prior to applying any wax. Buy some 70% rubbing alcohol and pour in a spray bottle. Spray the car's paint and wipe with a plush MF towel. Helps get rid of sap, tar, left over wax residue etc. Improves the durability quite a bit.

That's a pretty strong solution, most times I see IPA recommended it's 20%. Not that I think any real problems will come from using the 70%. I've just always mixed it 2:1 with water in the spray bottle.

Not that I have ever done any type of priming step before waxing, other than a thorough wash, this time I was pressed for time as I had 2 vehicles to do so I wanted to keep it as painless and as quick as possible.

Thanks SatinSilver, I will be sure to give that a try the next time I get around to waxing my vehicles. Just curious, however, like gpshumway, says, does it need to be 70% or does the strength really matter?

That's a pretty strong solution, most times I see IPA recommended it's 20%. Not that I think any real problems will come from using the 70%. I've just always mixed it 2:1 with water in the spray bottle.

Dilute it if you want the [cheap] bottle of IPA to last longer, otherwise 70% IPA will not hurt any clearcoat and improves your odds of removing the aforementioned substances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back