Water in transmission oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO i changed my transmission oil today, when refilling i left for 5mins with the funnel connected and rain came and fell
i closed the bonnet in time but at least a few drops got into my transmission oil.
I ran it for two days and the oil is still cherry red not milky. Is it ok to use it like this?

The moisture should evaporate from heat unless there was an excessive amount. Since its still red and not milky pink, it should be fine.

A few drops as the heavy rainfall that got on the funnel and entered the transmission. But it was like for only 20 seconds before i closed the bonnet

Last edited:
Just to be safe I would do another pan drain and refill.

Since an AT is primarily a closed system, any moisture getting into it will probably not evaporate.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: brslds
Wouldn't escape through the dipstick tube?

Yes if it has one
yeah my car has one so i guess it would escape

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dufus2
The moisture should evaporate from heat unless there was an excessive amount. Since its still red and not milky pink, it should be fine.

You can't use the appearance to judge water content. The fluid will still look fine with 1,000 ppm of water in it, but that level of water is already great enough to cause deterioration, e.g. additive seperation, and changes in friction characteristic.

Yes if it has one

Most dipsticks two have sealing rings and on the later Nissans, a 10mm bolt for hold down.

You oil would have to get to a temp of at least 212F to fully purge any moisture past those sealing rings.

nope what i have been doing was the everyday since this happen when i arrive at work and when i arrive home i would take out the dip stick to allow any moisture to be removed.
And i do 150km a trip, mostly highway though

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Since an AT is primarily a closed system, any moisture getting into it will probably not evaporate.

What he said.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

What he said.

And as soon as possible.

Yes if it has one

Most dipsticks two have sealing rings and on the later Nissans, a 10mm bolt for hold down.

You oil would have to get to a temp of at least 212F to fully purge any moisture past those sealing rings.

Just pull the stick out 2mm to expose the ring

Do what you are doing, pulling the dip stick after each trip. A few days of that and the water will be gone. Don't over think this, it's trival.

Nice thanks ...that exactly what i will continue doing because atf is kinda expensive and im still in university.
Yes school and work sucks
frown.gif

You should be fine .........

If need be ,besides other appropriate suggestions above, just visually monitor fluid's colour .......... from time to time.

Originally Posted By: zeng
You should be fine .........

If need be ,besides other appropriate suggestions above, just visually monitor fluid's colour .......... from time to time.

Did you fail to understand my comments? You are misleading this person. Colour is not a good indicator to judge the quantity of water in fluid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back