wash microfiber towels/rags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lot of microfiber rags that I use mostly for detailer. Am wondering what is the best/cheapest/easiest way to clean them. I am thinking a laundry detergent without perfumes or dyes, and of course no fabric softener, and drying on low heat. Is there a better way??

That's what I do. Tide free and gentle but if I have the time and space in the laundry room I'll hang the towls to dry.

Standard or gentle wash with a dye- and perfume-free detergent, like Tide Free or All Free & Clear (this is what I use). I personally set my washer to do an extra rinse cycle.

For drying, I just put them in the dryer on low heat. This works for me, but each dryer is different, so you might want to check the heat levels before you do this. Many washers also have a no-heat option.

Make sure you wash and dry them separate of all other towels and clothes, unless you want ALL the lint sticking to the microfibers.

my wife does house keeping at a local motel and she has 100's of them...she brings them home use arm and hammer scent free in gentle cycle and dries on low heat or just hangs them to dry and then use the fluff cycle

i wash mine in hot water in the washing machine with a scent and dye free detergent . then i put them in dryer at perm press setting. except for the really dirty ones , they come out pretty clean

Same here as everyone else. www.theragcompany.com says warm water / dye and perfume free detergent / no fabric softener or sheets / dry low heat, fluff setting, or hang. I have tried the dedicated microfiber detergents and didn't find them to be anything special. However not all detergents are the same. Consumer reports tested dozens of them and found some of the dirt cheap detergents were little better than water. The highest rated was Tide Ultra+. However some middle of the road ones like ALL and Costco brand did very well.

Do one whole wash cycle with vinegar added to the water and nothing else. That will pull the detergent out of the fabric and put it into suspension so that it can be spun out. I use 1&1/2 cups of vinegar for a large capacity washer.

Originally Posted by perfect_oil
Do one whole wash cycle with vinegar added to the water and nothing else. That will pull the detergent out of the fabric and put it into suspension so that it can be spun out. I use 1&1/2 cups of vinegar for a large capacity washer.

It doesn't do any of those things any better than plain water would do.

Originally Posted by kschachn

I've done lots of experiments with vinegar in the washer. It softens the fabric by not allowing the detergent to embed itself into the fabric. It will also remove fabric softener buildup.

Hot water wash with plain Tide, double rinse cycle and dry Hot, come out nice and clean
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Malo83
Hot water wash with plain Tide, double rinse cycle and dry Hot, come out nice and clean
cheers3.gif

What he said ⬆ï¸

I use a no-residue detergent especially made for Gore-Tex, Micro-Fiber, and other easily clogged high-tech fibers: Atsko Sport Wash.

https://www.amazon.com/SPORT-WASH-LAUNDRY-DETERGENT-64/dp/B001OPJ5OW

It is water-thin and water-clear and does an excellent job, leaves no oil, smell, or film behind. Combined with pre-soaking in the same in hot water, and no-heat drying, I get my micro fiber towels back very clean and free of smearing chemicals, UV dies, whiteners, or brighteners.

Originally Posted by perfect_oil
Originally Posted by kschachn
I've done lots of experiments with vinegar in the washer. It softens the fabric by not allowing the detergent to embed itself into the fabric. It will also remove fabric softener buildup.

Which is different than what you said the first time.

I use All Free & Clear and wash just microfiber towels in the load. I wring them out and hang them to dry. It is the same detergent we use to wash our clothes and it works just fine for microfiber towels.

Originally Posted by Malo83
cheers3.gif

Careful drying hot. With many microfiber towels, if you get them too hot, you'll start damaging the microfibers and ruin the towel.

SirTalon is right. My teenager "accidentally" dried a batch of my microfibre towels with the heat on. They got stiff, rough feeling and were very no longer absorbent. They ended up going straight to oil change duty, which is the last step before tossing them.

The sad part is, with a good wringing-out first, no-heat drying works fine, save yourself the energy costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back