Warming your car up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how people can deal with driving a vehicle with a cold interior. I've been starting all the vehicles I've ever owned on cold mornings to let them warm up with no negative effects on the vehicles. I'll let them run for 10-15 minutes on super cold mornings.

Regarding what's good for the vehicle... as long as you are using the correct oil viscosity for your ambient temperatures, you can safely drive it away GENTLY after the high idle drops down. Just be sure the snow and ice are cleared for good visibility
laugh.gif

Regarding what makes YOU comfortable... oh Lord... I really want to speculate what I would do in -10F temperatures but I can't honestly say. I've never lived in (or even visited) such a climate. I'd probably follow the rule of 1 minute idle for every 10 degrees below freezing... let the heater start working a little bit.

I'm not in a "cold" climate, but we do get down to freezing on occasion and we do get heavy frost/frozen windshields on a regular basis. When the window isn't frozen and unusable, warm-up is around 2 or 3 minutes, long enough for the oil to get circulating and thinning out and some heat coming out the vents. When the windows are frozen solid, we don't move until the defroster has done it's job, which usually means the vehicle is nice and toasty too.

In the summer, no warm-up other than the time it takes to put on the seatbelt and check the mirrors.

In the winter, the car is warmed-up while the windows are cleared of ice or snow. If no ice or snow and if the temps are 45F or below, I'll give it about 15 or 20 seconds before putting it in gear. The first mile is residential 25 MPH zone -usually with school kids and buses around, so that gives it some warm-up time.

Ray

Originally Posted by grampi
I don't know how people can deal with driving a vehicle with a cold interior. I've been starting all the vehicles I've ever owned on cold mornings to let them warm up with no negative effects on the vehicles. I'll let them run for 10-15 minutes on super cold mornings.

It's not hard, really. You open the door, you sit down. You shiver. You drive. Eventually the temperature gauge moves, and you can turn on the heater and roll up the window.

In anticipation of the drive, you dress appropriately. Warm pants, warm jacket, gloves, hat. If it's a long drive you might have to shed some layers. But if you ever have to change a tire, help a stuck driver, or wind up with a DOA vehicle, then you'll be dressed appropriately for the conditions.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

In the summer, no warm-up other than the time it takes to put on the seatbelt and check the mirrors.

In the winter, the car is warmed-up while the windows are cleared of ice or snow. If no ice or snow and if the temps are 45F or below, I'll give it about 15 or 20 seconds before putting it in gear. The first mile is residential 25 MPH zone -usually with school kids and buses around, so that gives it some warm-up time.

Ray

Ditto.

We experience the opposite here. Often starting the vehicle so the A/C can cool it down for a bit since we have a toddler.

Originally Posted by DGXR

Regarding what makes YOU comfortable... oh Lord... I really want to speculate what I would do in -10F temperatures but I can't honestly say. I've never lived in (or even visited) such a climate. I'd probably follow the rule of 1 minute idle for every 10 degrees below freezing... let the heater start working a little bit.

I've had a few -35 mornings. Those are not fun. As soon as you turn on the heat, the temperature drop and you lose heat quick. On those mornings I definitely let the car warm up for a bit. The only thing I really wait for is the high idle / catalyst warmup to slow down a bit so I'm not killing the clutch taking off. My focus was ridiculous and the engine absolutely had to run at 3k+ rpm on a cold start. At least my Subaru realizes you're moving and calms down a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back