Wanting to clean as best they can be some rims....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some neglected rims. Using "wheel" and "rim" interchangeably.

Weather is still nice but my wheels have been neglected for awhile. I took a pic of perhaps the best one, and worst one. I plan on replacing the tires at some point..

20150917_124732_zpsbdbwen3l.jpg

20150917_124752_zpsr8gxwfaz.jpg

And here is the other side of it.

20150917_125002_zpscjmrjczo.jpg

Not sure what material it is.. From memory I think "polished alloy." I did get tip about a wheel cleaner product from a helpful member in Inbox.. Looking for other inputs, and just how bad those are.

I also accept that they will never be perfect.. they don't have to be, the truck overall is pretty well "matched" and yes, I'm interested in preserving it's imperfect nature as best I can.

Any household products I can use? Any techniques? Anything to let sit? Since that is what it is doing now..

I'd put some air in that tire being half flat like that is no good for the tire.

I'd get a bucket of hot soapy water, wheel brush, and a can of any wheel cleaner.

Spray on wheel cleaner on one side let sit 2-3min then attack it with a wheel brush and the hot soapy water.

Repeat for second side. I'd recommend against spraying all 4 at one time you dont want it to dry before you get to scrubbing it.

You could also use a couple microfiber cloths instead of the brush as those wheels look fairly easy to clean.

Last edited:
I used to have almost that same AR wheel on a Chrysler convertible I used to own.
To say they were a Bear to keep looking nice would be an understatement.
AR produces a cleaner and a protectant that did a nice job. Used both of those with one of the Mother's wheels that you put on a drill and went at it. They look great as long as they were clean.

I'm tempted to try the Coca Cola.. it's down the street. All I have right now is paper towels.

WOULD that work? Coke and paper towels?

Or hold out and go to the store..

Dollar General has wheel cleaner for only a buck. Go there and report back. Use a sponge on it after it has been on there for 3 mins or so.

Magic Eraser type melamine sponge from the 1 Dollar Store. May want to polish the clearcoat afterwards, since the sponge may dull the glossy finish.

Dirty, but dirt can be cleaned.

1. Get some wheel cleaner.
2. Get a bucket of warm soapy water with a car wash mitt.
3. Get a bucket of clean warm water.
4. Wet each wheel with your hose.
5. Spray one wheel at a time.
6. Wait a couple of minutes and use car wash mitt to wash off wheel.
7. Rinse off mitt in bucket of clean water.
8. Put a valve stem cap on each valve stem.

Repeat for each wheel.

Those wheels were initially highly polished bare aluminum. Unless you want to spend days polishing them, just pull/replace tires, and get them blasted, and powder coated, and just wash them after that. Or whatever.

Last edited:
I don't think wheels have been bare metal for decades now. I think they are ALL clear coated - and have been since the 1970's. (Aluminum is porous!)

So be careful with certain chemicals (and that includes Coca-Cola which has carbonic acid). Try alcohol - ethanol. You can get a can at the paint store. I use it for all kinds on cleaning. Why just yesterday I used it to clean off spilled Anise extract flavoring (long story!)

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
I don't think wheels have been bare metal for decades now. I think they are ALL clear coated - and have been since the 1970's. (Aluminum is porous!)

So be careful with certain chemicals (and that includes Coca-Cola which has carbonic acid). Try alcohol - ethanol. You can get a can at the paint store. I use it for all kinds on cleaning. Why just yesterday I used it to clean off spilled Anise extract flavoring (long story!)

Unfortunately, there are still bare aluminum wheels for sale today. My mother in law purchased some from The Tire Rack 2 years ago. Tire Rack was responsible enough to have a special warning about the extra maintenance required, though. Too bad my mother in law didn't take their warning seriously and the wheels look pretty bad, now.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Get some of this stuff. It cleans everything. https://www.lastotallyawesome.com/shop/all-purpose/awesome-all-purpose-concentrated-cleaner-32oz/

I've used it all kinds of stuff and it's never let me down. Spray it on the wheel and let it sit for a few minutes. Spray a little more on and scrub with a stiff plastic bristle brush. Rinse. Apply a little more, scrub again, then rinse and dry. Then put on some wax and buff it out. They'll be clean as a whistle.

A HUGE +1 to this suggestion! I have a $1 bottle from Dollar General and I also use it to remove the oil and ATF stains from uncoated concrete. This stuff really works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back