Want someone to do my valve adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: Rohan
I need someone to do my valve adjustment on Honda Odyssey V6 engine. I'm not doing this by myself for the first time. The reason I don't want to take it mechanic shop is because they alway come up with [censored] stuffs and I can't trust them. Anyone on here that live closer to the horn lake,MS? I will pay if someone do valve adjustment.

You need to build a lasting relationship with an established shop in your area. They are around. Why would you would trust any schmuck who comes along, who you do not know, looking for beer money to work on your car???

I don't know but I'm going to call other Honda dealership tomorrow for the price.

I was able to save 29% by shopping around Honda dealers. Which equaled a savings of $200. So kept going to that dealer. Probably the same distance away just in a different direction and more rural. The Honda dealer actually moved into an old Sam's Club. They don't even occupy the entire building, probably about half of it. Plus you can see if from the highway. Here's what it looks like:

www.jackmatiahonda.com

Anyone know specifications for intake and Exhaust? I did look under the hood and I didn't find nothing except A/C sticker.

2002 3.5L

Last edited:
Then your van probably had been through a collision and somebody forgot to transfer the decal from the hood.

The only way I will have a Honda dealer do the valve adjustment job on a vehicle which is NOT exhibiting any symptoms if I have 100% trust in the dealer. This I the type of repair where you can be scammer extremely easy. I only trust automotive repair industry if I can verify it myself or have previous relationship to built the trust upon.

Are you just bored? You had real issues with this vehicle in the past. Now that those have been resolved, in my humble opinion, you are trying to invent problems.

Do few trans fluid replacements and wait for the day until that gives up before looking for another vehicle.

Green: intake valves .008 inch
Red: exhuast valves .014 inch

I created my own GO/NOGO gauges if I ever decided to tackle this job just in case. Most likely, I will never need to use them.

Last edited:
that was our main thing we fixed engines.. I never heard of an engine machine shop that did not fix cars. Not here in nj at least..
I did not know some of them were not full service

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Then your van probably had been through a collision and somebody forgot to transfer the decal from the hood.

The only way I will have a Honda dealer do the valve adjustment job on a vehicle which is NOT exhibiting any symptoms if I have 100% trust in the dealer. This I the type of repair where you can be scammer extremely easy. I only trust automotive repair industry if I can verify it myself or have previous relationship to built the trust upon.

Are you just bored? You had real issues with this vehicle in the past. Now that those have been resolved, in my humble opinion, you are trying to invent problems.

Do few trans fluid replacements and wait for the day until that gives up before looking for another vehicle.

Okay I will leave it alone if is not making any noise during the cold start. I'm having someone listen to the engine tomorrow so I let u know what he said about it. This car never been through the collision and I don't know why it not there under the hood.

I already changed the spin on filter for the transmission and changed my fuild 1 time and need to do 2 time more drain&fill.

The reason I wanted to do the valve adjustment is because it never been done and I thought maybe it time to do it but I will leave it alone if it not making any noise. I know this is stupid question; is timing belt labor free when doing the valve adjustment?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
120K timing belt yes valve adjustment no on that engine. Do it at the next timing belt change (200K) then never again.
The best thing you can do for that vehicle is keep the PCV valve changed every 30K and change the oil and service the transmission religiously.

@Trav I have a 2007 Accord V6 6MT with 145,000 Km (90,000 miles). I replaced the timing belt early at 133,000 Km / 82,500 miles because it had lived up until then in a cold climate. The belt looked perfect. A tensioner was leaking and was replaced.

Do you think the same advice would apply to this engine? That is, wait until the timing belt is replaced for a second time (at about 300,000 Km / 186500 miles) to check the valves. It will need spark plugs long before then (at around 160,000 Km / 100,000 miles).

The worry of course isn't loosening valves (which you can hear), it's tightening valves (which you can't).

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
that was our main thing we fixed engines.. I never heard of an engine machine shop that did not fix cars. Not here in nj at least..
I did not know some of them were not full service

They are totally different professions. I never saw an automotive machine shop called an "engine shop" or one that installed anything in the car, its not the norm. Transmission rebuilders are another story.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Originally Posted By: Trav
120K timing belt yes valve adjustment no on that engine. Do it at the next timing belt change (200K) then never again.
The best thing you can do for that vehicle is keep the PCV valve changed every 30K and change the oil and service the transmission religiously.

@Trav I have a 2007 Accord V6 6MT with 145,000 Km (90,000 miles). I replaced the timing belt early at 133,000 Km / 82,500 miles because it had lived up until then in a cold climate. The belt looked perfect. A tensioner was leaking and was replaced.

Do you think the same advice would apply to this engine? That is, wait until the timing belt is replaced for a second time (at about 300,000 Km / 186500 miles) to check the valves. It will need spark plugs long before then (at around 160,000 Km / 100,000 miles).

The worry of course isn't loosening valves (which you can hear), it's tightening valves (which you can't).

Yes for sure. WP and tensioner, belt and a valve adjustment then leave the valves alone. Yes tight valves are quite but these engine have sodium filled exhaust stems and AFAIK use stellite pressed in seats, clearance change is very minimal after initial wear has taken place.
The intakes tend to get a little loose over time from cam lobe wear but it is usually also very slight.
These are very good engines the only thing that sucks about them is when they put VCM in them, that system is garbage and causes more trouble than its worth. It basically takes one of the sweetest running V6 engines ever and turns it into a pile of poo, its a GD shame what they did with that.

This question is posed in complete ignorance of this engine, so apologies in advance.

Could a leak-down test tell you (relatively cheaply) if your valve clearances are out?

A leak down test would tell you if a valve were slightly open but at that point there would be other signs like low compression misfire (bad enough for a CEL) or even a possible burned valve.
Looking at the misfire count with a scan tool is a better and easier way, an engine with tight valves with have a misfire count above zero but maybe not high enough to trigger a CEL or cause noticeable running issues.

Tight valve would be only one of many possibilities but if everything else checks out thats where you would look next.
A misfire count of zero on all cylinders pretty much assures no valve is tight enough to be causing issues.

Edit: With aluminum heads the clearance increases slightly with higher engine temp as opposed to iron heads that get tighter. A good mechanic will compensate for temp extremes.

Last edited:
Thanks Trav. That's what I'll do. Wait for the 2nd timing belt change to adjust the valves (along with the water pump and tensioner).

My '07 Accord could go a long way. It's in a better climate now - no more salt, lots of long drives, lighter traffic for reduced risk of collisions, and a manual transmission for reliability.

Quote:
The reason I wanted to do the valve adjustment is because it never been done and I thought maybe it time to do it but I will leave it alone if it not making any noise. I know this is stupid question; is timing belt labor free when doing the valve adjustment?

Not really; there is very little common labor involved in those two jobs.

Can you monitor MAP readings? I recall that was how somebody was able to ascertain if that engine needed valve adjustment or not.

You should watch few youtube videos showing how it is done on this engine. EricTheCarGuy has it and he explains it well. There are few others too. Procedure itself is not difficult but the chances of screwing it up compared to perceived benefits is just too high. Heck some guys used metric numbers instead of the British scale and really got in to pickle! IF the engine is running well enough and if you find that all valves need to be adjusted, STOP right there. You are doing something horribly wrong and should NOT be touching this job. Only few would be outside the range and that too would be by a hair or too.

Do another transmission oil change at your next 5-7K engine oil change and just drive.

Stay with OEM/Aisin for timing belt job. When was the last one done? Depending upon the mileage and condition, you might need new tensioner and/or water pump. There also a reputable dealer would be the best as he would have all the parts on the hand in case they are needed. OEM water pump and tensioner can be reused once (assuming they are in excellent condition at the time of the t-belt job) but not more than that.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

You should watch few youtube videos showing how it is done on this engine. EricTheCarGuy has it and he explains it well. There are few others too. Procedure itself is not difficult but the chances of screwing it up compared to perceived benefits is just too high. Heck some guys used metric numbers instead of the British scale and really got in to pickle! IF the engine is running well enough and if you find that all valves need to be adjusted, STOP right there.

I wouldn't say that fine tuning the valve adjustment is always a bad thing. I did a 2005 Civic last weekend. The manual called for .007-.009" for the intake and .009-.011" for the exhaust. I prefer to set my valve clearances to the middle of the spec, so I had the .008" and .010" gauges out. Most of the intake valves measured closer to .007" (my .008 fit a bit on the tight side) while the exhaust valves were a bit on the loose side when measured with the .010" gauge. Overall, this particular engine (with 90k) was probably "within specs," but I re-adjusted all of them to my preference. The car run fine before and according to the owner, supposedly ran a bit better after the adjustment.

Vikas,

I just read this thread and I ordered aisin timing belt kit from the Amazon today and should be arriving on Friday hopefully. If I had free time then I wouldn't mind taking a trip to California
smile.gif

I hate to read on here about who's making comments about that did a valve adjustment and that make me feel like I should do it to lol.

Anyone want to see my valve picture? Never change the valve cover gasket still OEM and yes it been leaking for long time.

Last edited:
Have you ever cleaned the EGR passages on this vehicle? Have you had to replace ignition coil or two? How about sliding door issues? Worn out alternator? Bulbs going out on the clock and on dash? Apart from transmission, those are the most likely issues that one faces with this vehicle. Almost everything else would be routine maintenance on it.

If you have cleaned the EGR passage, then replacing the valve cover gaskets would be not too much work at that time. Replacing the spark plug tubes looks little tricky based upon the videos that I have seen but with few right diameter sockets it should be doable.

Now at this stage you can certainly check the clearance and if really needed can think about adjusting it then. Replacing timing belt does no need to touch anything in this area.

Are you planning on doing he timing belt yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back