VOA MMO?

It's the rust inhibutors in LC20 that would keep the rust under control.

There's another component (surfactant) that allows the rust inhibitors to more effective.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What indicates that LC20 will better protect against corrosion than just motor oil? It seems to me that it is less viscous, and therefore would wash down faster, Id think.

But since I have cars that sit a lot, this is a very important question to me.

I have cars that sit a lot too, in fact we're a 3 car family with two drivers. Years ago my van would sit for weeks or even months at a time w/o being driven, which is why I'm such a big fan of MMO in the gas. It prevents flash rusting in the combustion chamber very well, and for less than $5 a qt you can't beat it. I was told by Rich Kelly who runs/ran the MMO board that it is very good at preventing rust. I use it on rifles and shotguns for that purpose and in about 40 years of owning guns its never let me down.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Years ago my van would sit for weeks or even months at a time w/o being driven, which is why I'm such a big fan of MMO in the gas. It prevents flash rusting in the combustion chamber very well

What in a combustion chamber can rust?

What I'm curious about....is MMO has the generic proposition warning, regardarding a "Chemical know to the state of california to cause cancer"

Curious what "chemical" this would be....? Can't recall any other "fuel" or even ENGINE additives that contain this warning
wink.gif

Any ideas?

And the fact that it also has the disclaimer regarding ULSD....not for use in diesels newer than 2007 or something like that (don't have the bottle next to me.....).

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Years ago my van would sit for weeks or even months at a time w/o being driven, which is why I'm such a big fan of MMO in the gas. It prevents flash rusting in the combustion chamber very well

I thought most bores are iron sleeves that can rust.

Originally Posted By: JAG

Here's a few of mine: Cast iron 4.9L Ford engines, GM 250 I6 used in a boat, GM 350 V8. The list goes on, these are just a few engines we have or had in service that can rust. Currently added to the fleet a Ford 351 powered boat for offshore fishing. Saltwater is tough on anything, even cars that aren't exposed to saltwater that sit can flash rust inside. There are some modern late model engines with sleeves that can rust as well.

Quote:
What I'm curious about....is MMO has the generic proposition warning, regardarding a "Chemical know to the state of california to cause cancer"

Curious what "chemical" this would be....? Can't recall any other "fuel" or even ENGINE additives that contain this warning

Almost any chemical uses this warning for Kaleefornas. The radical environmentalists have taken over the state so it is no suprise.

JHZR2 said:

/quote]
Right, I wasn't thinking of the cylinder bores.
When you said "combustion chamber" I visioned the pistons at TDC when the bores are not exposed.
I too have have had a problem in the past with the rings freezing to the bores but that has only been with carburetted engines.

demarpaint said:
JHZR2 said:

Right, I wasn't thinking of the cylinder bores.
When you said "combustion chamber" I visioned the pistons at TDC when the bores are not exposed.
I too have have had a problem in the past with the rings freezing to the bores but that has only been with carburetted engines.

I was referring to the the combustion chamber as the cylinder including pistons valves, etc. I see your point, though. My thinking is when a piston is @ TDC there isn't much room, however all pistons are not at TDC at the same time, and flash rusting of the cylinder can occur above or below the piston. More so above, and that depends on how long the engine sits and where. Saltwater applications or vehicles that are close to salt water are more prone, I live on Long Island.

Sometimes when I transfer a thought to a post it can get confusing.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Almost any chemical uses this warning for Kaleefornas. The radical environmentalists have taken over the state so it is no suprise.
Well that's what I was getting at....I havent seen this warning about the California lead content on other fuel system products that's kind of why I was curious
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
According to the Blackstone report, there is 634 ppm Phosphorous, but no Zinc. What AW additive has Phosphorous and no Zinc?

Tricresyl phosphate AKA TCP. It's an ashless antiwear additive used in airplane engine oils. Since MMO can be used in gasoline, they had to use an ashless antiwear additive.

Since 1990, TPP (Triphenil phosphate) is used, since TCP is considered a higher neurotoxin, then TPP substituted TCP, also in reciprocating aircraft engine oils.

Last edited:
Since MMO is so cheap ($15 a gallon at WM) I sometimes use it as a flush by adding a quart 20 miles before draining the engine oil.

At the Ford dealership Quick Lane service center they tried to up sell me on a small bottle of additive to keep down engine sludge. Since I use Archoil AR9100 at each oil change I said NO but will look the next time to see what that Ford dealership is selling to put in Ford/other engines. It may have been a 4 oz bottle.

The esters in AR9100 are good cleaners and the anti friction part may be helpful. It is used at the rate of 1.2 oz per quart of motor oil and so far we have used about 175 oz of it over the past couple years by using it in all of our gas/diesel engines.

As with most oil additives there really is no way to 'prove' MMO/etc adds any functional life to engines.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
According to the Blackstone report, there is 634 ppm Phosphorous, but no Zinc. What AW additive has Phosphorous and no Zinc?

Tricresyl phosphate AKA TCP. It's an ashless antiwear additive used in airplane engine oils. Since MMO can be used in gasoline, they had to use an ashless antiwear additive.

This VOA says 902 ppm phosphorus:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/archives/ub...amp;fpart=1.htm
QUOTE:
OK sports fans, here's the buzz...
After a prior discussion in this forum, I sent a sample of MMO to Blackstone for analysis. I told them that the type of oil was UNK, but that it may be ATF. I poured the sample straight from the metal quart can.

MMO certainly looks like ATF, though the smell is only similar.

Here's what I received back just today.

I'm quoting from the comments section of the report.

JIM: This isn't ATF unless it is mixed with something. ATFs have a viscosity in the 10W range and flash off at about 360F at the lowest. ATFs usually have more additive in them than this. We suspect this may be a light hydraulic known generically as Mil-S-5606. It is used in high flying aircraft hydraulic systems being impervious to the cold. No moisture or insolubles found. No wear metals. This oil appears, from here, to be in serviceable condition.

end of comments

As for the elements that were found in the sample there were 32 ppm of Boron, 2 ppm of silicon, 1 ppm cacium, 902 ppm phosphorus, and 2 ppm zinc.

The SUS viscosity at 210F was 34.4. The flashpoint was 190F.

That's all there is. There ain't no more.

jp

I say an analysis that cost $750+ trumps a $28 analysis any day.

We used instrumentation that Blackstone will never see.

Here's my put on MMO's MSDS:

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)

Serves mostly as base oil.

29% Mineral Spirits

General cleaner and solvent.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron

Mild AW/EP agent, friction reducer

900 ppm Phosporous

AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene

A very good cleaner/solvent for varnish.

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene

A very good cleaner/solvent for varnish.

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent

Oil of Wintergreen is in there solely for the SCENT to mask solvent smell. Not enough in there to aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff

For Sure.

Back