VOA Database

1702695703430.jpg

I started this awhile back here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/collection-of-20-weight-api-sp-voas.342292/
and here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/collection-of-xw-30-api-sp-voas.343019/

My time no longer allows me to keep it updated the way I'd like. Plus, people were asking for a downloadable version anyway. So I had the idea to convert it to a Google Sheet that certain people could be given permission to edit/update, and everyone could view and download as a local spreadsheet. Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone interested in helping keep it updated?

One thing I'd like done is for the VOA threads listed on this sheet to be chased down and linked to the sheet. Any volunteers would need to be familiar with editing Google Sheets, as it could be mucked up pretty quickly otherwise.

Here is a link to the sheet as it stands. I've included separate tabs for 20, 30 and 40 grades. It can be improved (info on certifications can be added if the oil is not API SP, SN+ or SN) and I'm sure there are a bunch of other great ideas you guys can come up with. Let this thread be a place of discussion. If there's enough interest and it becomes a solid single source of VOAs, the mods may decide to make a sticky thread for it. If not, it can die a slow death here. ;)

Link to VOA Database

Beautiful worthwhile work.

^^^ WOOPS that's ESP & I'm comparing it to my EP 20k...My mistake! The ESP is going to have lower additives due to emissions protection.

Not sure the process, but wondered if someone could update the spreadsheet with the attached VOA of Generac 5W20 oil from Blackstone?

Thanks,

Chris

GENERAC 5W20-231201 Redacted.jpg

Not sure the process, but wondered if someone could update the spreadsheet with the attached VOA of Generac 5W20 oil from Blackstone?

Thanks,

Chris

View attachment 197301
Is this oil for generators, or vehicles? If it's not an oil intended for passenger cars, it may not be well suited to add to this database. Their website makes it seem as if it is a generator oil. And the additive package does not look like it's intended for passenger cars.

Is this oil for generators, or vehicles? If it's not an oil intended for passenger cars, it may not be well suited to add to this database. Their website makes it seem as if it is a generator oil. And the additive package does not look like it's intended for passenger cars.
It is intended for Generators, marketed as a "low ash" formula, which supposedly works better with natural gas or propane.

The main reason I sent for analysis was to see if anything else in the VOA database might be close enough in formulation to be a suitable replacement, as the Generac oil is very expensive at nearly $20 a quart.

I would see value in adding it to the database, but I understand if it is decided not to.

Excuse my laziness, but what is the preferred testing facility for VOA? There are a couple of oils I am interested in and previous tests done on them are over 2 years old and so I am sure reformulations have been done since! So would like to contribute to something that I have looked at many times since I have discovered it!
Also, is there a particular method you all go about before pouring the sample? Shake the bottle and pour immediately, shake and then wait 5 minutes, etc?

Excuse my laziness, but what is the preferred testing facility for VOA? There are a couple of oils I am interested in and previous tests done on them are over 2 years old and so I am sure reformulations have been done since! So would like to contribute to something that I have looked at many times since I have discovered it!
Also, is there a particular method you all go about before pouring the sample? Shake the bottle and pour immediately, shake and then wait 5 minutes, etc?
I like Oil Analyzers because they include TBN and Oxidation. They also use gas chromatography which is nice on used oil analysis.

I'm not sure it makes *any* difference, but I do shake oil jugs gently before pouring a sample.

I've been dealing with some long-term medical issues, so I'm not as diligent about spotting new VOAs posted here. If anyone sees one posted that I don't get in the Database, please link to it in this thread. I'll be sure to see it then and add it.

Thanks!

I like Oil Analyzers because they include TBN and Oxidation. They also use gas chromatography which is nice on used oil analysis.

I'm not sure it makes *any* difference, but I do shake oil jugs gently before pouring a sample.
Could you point me to the info on Gas Chromatography method with Oil Analyzers? I couldn't find this info on their website.

I was interested in Fuel/Oil Dilution, and Oil Analyzers say they use the FTIR method.

Thanks,

Chris

Back