Viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that most of the UOA analysis on here are from Blackstone and they don't appear able to adequately determine fuel dilution, the low viscosity readings are just as likely to be due to fuel as it is to actual mechanical shearing. It does appear that some modern engines are suffering from fuel dilution as shown by those UOA with CG analysis.

The reason I am leaning toward wrong oil installed vs. shearing or dilution, is that this oil had 991 miles on it. Not discounting anything, though. I am going to see how the M1 oils hold up over 2500 miles and go from there.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
The reason I am leaning toward wrong oil installed vs. shearing or dilution, is that this oil had 991 miles on it. Not discounting anything, though. I am going to see how the M1 oils hold up over 2500 miles and go from there.

Makes sense. Dealers put 5w20 in 5w30 applications every day. One more reason to DIY oil changes.

I looked on the work order. They are both listed as 5W-30. Before I got this oil test back, I was going to have the oil/filter changed at the dealer every 5k, and dump the oil every 2.5k in between for warranty purposes.
I rethought that. As long as I don't touch the OLM, and I get it changed by the dealer when the OLM trips, I am certainly in warranty. It looks like it will go 10k-ish miles on the OLM. What I do in between is none of thier business.
smile.gif

I was perfectly willing to do 5k changes, when we bought these trucks, but when mine had the "smoking" incident, and I saw the TSB, I started digging more. It will be interesting to see what will happen when the new GF-6 standards come out.

I looked on the work order. They are both listed as 5W-30.

Sometimes oil change technicians simply don't follow the work order and put in the wrong grade. Sure looks like thats what happened.

I rethought that. As long as I don't touch the OLM, and I get it changed by the dealer when the OLM trips, I am certainly in warranty. It looks like it will go 10k-ish miles on the OLM. What I do in between is none of thier business.
smile.gif

You can document your own oil changes, using top-quality oil like Mobil1 Extended Protection 5w30 to be sure of getting the correct viscosity and just go by the Ford IOLM, using Fram Ultra oil filters (best), and just skip the dealer shenanigans.

I was perfectly willing to do 5k changes, when we bought these trucks, but when mine had the "smoking" incident, and I saw the TSB, I started digging more.
Oil changes won't do a thing to correct that TSB's parts problem. Not an oil issue.
Did you have the block or heads replaced? This is a serious weird issue. Rare.
Wow, that smoking TSB should be a full-blown recall, but I guess people will bring it in if symptoms are there (disturbing symptoms!) and your Ford dealership is sharp enough to know the TSB exists. Many times service writers don't even know there is a TSB in the large sea of TSB's they have.
Here is a summary of the text from the TSB:
FORD:
2016 F-150
ISSUE
Some 2016 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 2.7L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) engine and built on 1-
Apr-2016 and through 1-Oct-2016 may exhibit white or blue smoke from the exhaust, rough idle in neutral or park at
normal operating temperature or after a hot restart. The vehicle may also exhibit diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0300,
P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0316, P0524 and/or P06DD with the excessive oil consumption. Oil
consumption may be 1 Liter (1 quart) in less than 4,800 km (3,000 miles).
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Connect the Ford Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) service tool or equivalent scan tool to the data link connector
(DLC). Check for DTC P0524 and/or P06DD with any misfire codes stored in the powertrain control module (PCM)
memory?
a. Yes - replace the engine long block assembly. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01.
b. No - replace the cylinder heads. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01.

It will be interesting to see what will happen when the new GF-6 standards come out.

The current dexos1 standards have already obsoleted GF-6. GM's dexos1 beat GF-6 to almost everything being addressed. Just go by dexos1, its the high bar now. Besides, GF-6 is probably still a couple of years away.

"You can document your own oil changes, using top-quality oil like Mobil1 Extended Protection 5w30 to be sure of getting the correct viscosity and just go by the Ford IOLM, using Fram Ultra oil filters (best), and just skip the dealer shenanigans"
I know this is well meaning, but I have been through warranty issues before, and it is absolutely much better to have documented maintenance through a dealer. They will do more for you, than if you don't. I know the Magnuson Moss Act, etc. I wish it weren't that way, but it is.

I am not trying to correct the TSB issue through oil changes. It is just that the TSB made me aware of the oil issues on this engine. It looks like if this happens, it just goes to [censored] in a few hundred miles.

Just as I started giving Ford credit for using the jointly-owned PSA HDi engine block as a GDI-T EcoBoost, they still managed to botch the implementation. CGI isn't going to help them there...
Also not seeing as much discussion about the cause of the issue as much as there is about replacing the long-block 'no questions asked', either. Can't wait to find out the juicy truth
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Just as I started giving Ford credit for using the jointly-owned PSA HDi engine block as a GDI-T EcoBoost, they still managed to botch the implementation. CGI isn't going to help them there...
Also not seeing as much discussion about the cause of the issue as much as there is about replacing the long-block 'no questions asked', either. Can't wait to find out the juicy truth
lol.gif

This is an interesting problem. I'll start a new thread on it.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4491266#Post4491266 for the new thread. Different subject than this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back