VIrgin Autopsy- Fram XG2 Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
I have a question maybe someone can answer. I read in a couple earlier posts that the relief valve on a couple of different filters is set at 16psi or 12psi for the Ultra. How does a filter like that work when the oil pressure runs at a constant 30-40 psi hot or cold? Or are the various filters designed with different pressures for by-pass depending on the engine?

You're confusing oil pressure and bypass pressure (differential pressure). With a clean filter at a given flow rate and oil temp/viscosity, there is only a few PSI difference in the oil pressure before the filter and after the filter. That's differential pressure (aka DP or Delta-P). As the filter loads up, that DP increases. When it reaches the preset DP bypass valve setting, the valve bypasses some or all of the oil to make sure the engine has enough oil flow.

When the oil is cold and thick it's harder for it to push thru the filter, so the DP is higher and the bypass may open. Whether or not (or how often) that happens is dependent upon the restriction downstream of the filter. Once the system is fully pressurized, the oil galleries are far more restrictive than the filter.

The engine manufacturer sets the bypass opening spec according to the OE baseline filter efficiency and flow specs it was designed forbut in reality, the engine doesn't care all that much as long as it has sufficient oil flow at and below max DP.

Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
I have a question maybe someone can answer. I read in a couple earlier posts that the relief valve on a couple of different filters is set at 16psi or 12psi for the Ultra. How does a filter like that work when the oil pressure runs at a constant 30-40 psi hot or cold? Or are the various filters designed with different pressures for by-pass depending on the engine?

The oil pressure you see on the dash is different than the oil pressure setting of the filter's bypass valve. A bypass valve set to 12 psi only opens when the pressure differential across the media is 12 psi or higher.

You could have an engine that runs at 100 psi oil pressure, but the filter might only have 3 psi differential across the media depending on the oil's viscosity and flow rate.

As an oil filter collects more and more debris from the engine, it becomes more restrictive to flow. If it gets really clogged up, then it's possible the differential pressure across the media would approach and become greater than the bypass valve setting, causing the valve to open.

Thanks very much for the autopsy - this is the exact filter my Tribute's Duratec takes.

Looks very, very solid. Might spring for one of these over the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back