Vintage Car, Vintage Headlamps, Vintage Problems....

Started to get a shudder while driving from the right headlight on the '74 BMW with period Cibie Iodes. The lamps are in great overall shape, a very little bit cloudy but they are probably ~45 years old. Started to remove the lamp and the cause of the vibration became clear when the lens fell off. The other one was still together, but then came apart as I removed it. First time I've seen this happen.

Being an unrepentant pack rat, I went upstairs and got a NOS set of slightly later Cibies I had just for this reason.

BMW74co.jpeg
BMW74cn.jpeg

If they are Euro code, it would be worth protecting the lenses with some protection film. Those lights are awesome...used them back in the day on VW Rabbit and later a Ferrari 308 GTS then a 328 GTS.

Hello 7" H4 Euro code lights are still made as well, but have a flat face/lens.
I have heard recommendations of the koito as an excellent option as well. Are they euro code as well as far as the light pattern/distribution?

Hello 7" H4 Euro code lights are still made as well, but have a flat face/lens.
I have heard recommendations of the koito as an excellent option as well. Are they euro code as well as far as the light pattern/distribution?
Hella eCodes have always been my go-to and the best bang for the buck IMO, in fact I just put a set on my Wife's '21 Wrangler that had the base halogen lights which were some of the worse OEM lights I ever experienced. Cute w/ Jeep grills as the bulb shield, but awful.

The Koitos are works of art and yes, more or less traditional Euro pattern.

Last edited:
My first experience with Cibie - I had Cibie flat lens headlamps on my '74 Camaro. I also wore polycarbonate stone guards.

I have some NIB Hella E-Codes (?) for the Camaro that I never installed. The lenses got a cloudy film on the insides from sitting in the box inside a cabinet. Because the low beams have bulb shields, it's impossible to clean. They're still in the cabinet. I thought of using crystal chandelier cleaner but, MEH.

I found these a few years after I got the Hellas. I got the high beams on ebay. The low beams I found at some random internet store. I haven't installed them because I can't find stone shields that won't make the Camaro look like a Jeep.

20231009_110456_resized.jpg

Another interesting option is the Candlepower Motorcycle 7" headlight with H4 bulb. They have always had a really nice beam pattern that works very well in automotive use, and are high quality. Will easily tolerate 100W halogen bulbs, or the modern LED equivalent.

bulb_7inch-566.jpg

Back