Vibration in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
The maximum pressure listed on the sidewall is not the pressure you should run in the tires. Manufacturer recommended pressure is listed on the tire pressure placard located somewhere on the vehicle.

I presume this 'maximum pressure' figure is about factor of safety ..... I don't quite get its significance to every user other than safety. Do I miss something here ?

Originally Posted By: zeng
I presume this 'maximum pressure' figure is about factor of safety ..... I don't quite get its significance to every user other than safety. Do I miss something here ?

Pretty much. It is a maximum that a tire can safely handle and has nothing to do with what is recommended.

You can find similar information on most tire mfg websites:
https://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/gov/police/tire_inflation.cfm

Good read. Thanks, mate.
blush.gif

First, I think a few psi might help - say up to 5 psi.

What's causing it?

It's the nylon cap plies. If I have this right, your tires are W speed rated - and that means they probably have 2 cap plies. (For you nitpickers, if Uniroyal is spiral wrapping the cap plies, it is likely there are 3 layers at the belt edges, and 2 everywhere else.)

OK, for flat spotting, 2 cap plies is worse than a single cap ply.

Nylon has a peculiar property in that it shrinks when heated - which makes it great for restraining a belt in a tire - BUT - it also has a fairly low glass transition temperature (the temperature where it changes phase). It is this glass transition temperature that causes the flat spot.

The best way to avoid this is to drive slowly as heating the cap ply above the glass transition temperature sets the tire up for the flat spot. Of course, that is not practical.

Sooooooo:

Try more inflation pressure. I'd start by adding 3 psi. Then as an experiment, keep adding air until you reach the max pressure (and if the tires are indeed W speed rated, that would be 51 psi.) Somewhere, the problem will get a bunch better. According to Tire Guides, your vehicle calls for 38 psi front / 34 psi rear. Those values seem funny to me, so check that against your vehicle tire placard which should be on the drivers door frame (in yellow!)

May be try driving less, ah ...... let's call it, enthusiastically. Especially when you get close to parking it. Give the tire a chance to cool down.

And as others have mentioned, different tires have different flat spotting tendencies. I have never had the ability to do the research, but I suspect this is related to how the cap plies are put on - and that generally varies according to the manufacturing plant - and not necessarily by brand.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Recommended pressure is 35 I usually have about 37 in them just to compensate for temp change

The recommended cold tire inflation pressures for the 225/40R18XL tires on your 2014 Dodge Dart GT are 38psi Front / 34psi Rear. Might be a good idea to start with those pressures.

HTH

The door place card says 35 all around. I've seen some darts say 38 and others say 35

The door place card says 35 all around. I've seen some darts say 38 and others say 35

For 2014:
Dart Aero / 205/55-16 or 225/45-17 / 34psi F/R
Dart GT / 225/40-18 / 38psi Front 34psi Rear
Dart Limited / 225/45-17 / 34psi F/R
Dart SE / 205/55-16 / 34psi F/R
Dart SXT / 205/55-16 or 225/45-17 / 34psi F/R

So ... if you do indeed have a 2014 Dodge Dart GT the recommended cold tire inflation pressures are 38psi Front and 34psi Rear.

No model of the 2014 Dart specifies 35psi F/R.

Maybe you could post a pic of your door placard?

TIA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

For 2014:

So ... if you do indeed have a 2014 Dodge Dart GT the recommended cold tire inflation pressures are 38psi Front and 34psi Rear.

TIA

It's a late 13 built 14 I'll post a pic when I get home....I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe me.

How did tires with a maximum sidewall inflation pressure of 35 get on a car that specifies 38PSI? Are these tires of the proper load range and service description?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
How did tires with a maximum sidewall inflation pressure of 35

???

Not sure where you got that from...

A couple of items:

* These tires are likely W speed rated tires and all tires with a V speed rating and higher will be labeled as *51 psi max*. That's because the speed rating test requires that pressure. The only tires that will be labeled *35 psi max* will be T speed rated or lower - and even then, they might be labeled with a higher pressure if the tire manufacturer chooses to. (If you want, I'll try to explain why that is so.)

* The confusion over the placard pressure is because of Tire Guides, which lists the Dart GT as having a 38 psi spec. That publication also shows 34 psi for other models of the Dart. It should be noted that this publication has been known to be wrong - and it also should be noted that the placards and the owners manual have also been known to have been wrong. Worse, the placards and the owners manuals have been known to disagree!

For 2014:

TIA

It's a late 13 built 14 I'll post a pic when I get home....I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe me.

Where's that pic?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Where's that pic?
wink.gif

The suspense is killing me...
smile.gif

tenor.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Where's that pic?
wink.gif

The suspense is killing me...
smile.gif

tenor.gif

I guess I have to many cars . The 13 dart is 34 mine is 38/34 and the 15 dart I had I thought was 35 but I don't remember. The truck is 35 though that's where I remember that from. Between work school getting married I'm a little frazzled . But either way the tires are at the recommended psi.

I guess I have to many cars . The 13 dart is 34 mine is 38/34 and the 15 dart I had I thought was 35 but I don't remember. The truck is 35 though that's where I remember that from. Between work school getting married I'm a little frazzled . But either way the tires are at the recommended psi.

So there is no picture because there is no car? Is that what it all means?

10 miles seems like a long ways. I get some flat spotting but for maybe 2 miles if that. Maybe do some weaving back and forth to warm them up!

....I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe me.

Thank you for answering your own question.

Glad it's all straight now. If you are now using the recommended cold tire inflation pressures of 38/34 for your Dart GT and are still experiencing the vibration during tire warm-up, then I am inclined to believe it is normal and simply a characteristic of those tires.

HTH

....I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe me.

Thank you for answering your own question.

Glad it's all straight now. If you are now using the recommended cold tire inflation pressures of 38/34 for your Dart GT and are still experiencing the vibration during tire warm-up, then I am inclined to believe it is normal and simply a characteristic of those tires.

HTH

Touche but in fairness the couple degrees isnt going make a difference. It is just a characteristic I'm sure but very annoying. I aired the tires up to 45 and am going to see what happens, I don't mind playing with the air pressures to see if there is a change or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back