Very Basic Engine Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
DOUBLE POINTS for dumping the diagram.

Revitalize your drawing skills and draw your own basic Otto cycle pictures. It'll show your students you care.

Showing them bad drawings points to a disconnect on your part (translation: You'll be a lazy loser-which you're not).

As far as any "extra credit" goes, have the little bar stewards wash your car. Tell 'em it's about emulsification (soap) education.
Prepping for touch up paint = solvent education. The touching up = art education.
'Dya want mechanical and fastener practical education with or without extra credit? Have 'em rotate your tires.

You're so welcome.

Ducked you are right the picture is wrong....why not make it a test question for them to point out the incorrect drawing and re-draw it correctly?

Edit: but bdcardinal is also correct....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
DOUBLE POINTS for dumping the diagram.

Revitalize your drawing skills and draw your own basic Otto cycle pictures. It'll show your students you care.

Showing them bad drawings points to a disconnect on your part (translation: You'll be a lazy loser-which you're not).

Too late. Already have. So I am.

Could fix it for the actual test though, but I doubt I'll bother. Its on Tuesday so there's time to wrestle with my conscience should it re-awaken.

Similarly, I've decided not to worry about valve overlap sophistry and just treat the diagram as WRONG, which in this context it is.

I've posted, in the revised test notes, that the intake diagram is wrong, but havn't told them this will be the focus of a question. One or two aware students might see that coming but most of them wont look at the test notes at all.

Re Taiwanese students as unpaid mechanics, I don't trust Taiwanese mechanics as paid mechanics, so thats a no, plus, as a lazy loser, I don't do most of those things anyway,

Last edited:
DuckedIIRC that'd be with the 65-2442 and 65-2446 intake and exhaust cams respectively. [/quote said:
Did you use what's it's name...or do you know these things ? Numbers imprinted on my brain from my youth. I had 65-2442 and 65-2446, and some other cams I don't remember the numbers of. But at 16, I calculated 120 degrees of overlap, and said, I'm having some of that for my 1951 B31.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
The connecting rod needs to be on the OTHER side, same as the "power stroke" picture

I'll agree with you on this one. Probably the last time too.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Silk
Originally Posted By: Ducked
IIRC that'd be with the 65-2442 and 65-2446 intake and exhaust cams respectively.

Did you use what's it's name...or do you know these things ? Numbers imprinted on my brain from my youth. I had 65-2442 and 65-2446, and some other cams I don't remember the numbers of. But at 16, I calculated 120 degrees of overlap, and said, I'm having some of that for my 1951 B31.

Nope. I used internyet thingmy. The "IIRC" was "sarcastic license".

http://www.bsagoldstar.co.uk/images/useful-data.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back