Vehicles spying on you.

They are doing everything possible to screw consumers.
Is it really to screw consumers over? or to just move actual cost (of covering bad drivers) to the actual drivers who just haven’t been caught yet?

(no I don’t want this in my car either, invasion of privacy, and way too many ways for them to screw good drivers over in the process, all in the name of “for the greater good”.)

One has to wonder what the benefit is to General Motors (or any other mfgr) to provide such information to the insurance companies. Obviously it's a very lucrative business transaction.
Indeed. Follow the money.

Saw a follow-up article stating that GM has stopped this practice as soon as they heard the uproar. They will no longer share driver info with LexisNexis and one other "service".
Who knows.

Saw a follow-up article stating that GM has stopped this practice as soon as they heard the uproar. They will no longer share driver info with LexisNexis and one other "service".
Who knows.
Totally believe them. Case closed :D

That guy with hidden cameras in his VRBO promised me he won't use them -- even when the local cheerleading team is staying there. Totally believe him, too :D

One has to wonder what the benefit is to General Motors (or any other mfgr) to provide such information to the insurance companies. Obviously it's a very lucrative business transaction.
The accumulation and packaging of your personal information is big business. So big the people in this country can’t even possibly comprehend it.
Information always goes to the highest bidder.
Everything about you, including your likes, dislikes where you travel where you shop what you spend where you spend most movements every minute of the day is in a database. It doesn’t necessarily mean they know who you are, but they know where to direct advertising or a whole range of interests.

The automobile is the ultimate information gathering unit, creating more internal revenue, more bidding more profits.
It’s absolutely despicable, but everyone of those GM car owners were explicitly warned as they decided to activate a service in their car.
I mean you want to talk about anybody who connects to the Internet or to a service on the Internet is being tracked in someway, so what were these people thinking?
They gave their permission.

Last edited:
I bet that other manufacturers predicted this would happen and didn’t go ahead with the extra revenue for data mining. A really rotten low hanging fruit.

It was only a matter of time they would be exposed and I bet multiple execs at GM knew it, but were overruled. There were probably a few “told you so” moments in board rooms recently.

Last edited:
So, GM is portrayed as the bad guy here… but what about Lexis Nexis and the other databases here getting these data and brokering them for a profit, with no value provided to you, the originator?

Is it really to screw consumers over? or to just move actual cost (of covering bad drivers) to the actual drivers who just haven’t been caught yet?

(no I don’t want this in my car either, invasion of privacy, and way too many ways for them to screw good drivers over in the process, all in the name of “for the greater good”.)

Indeed. Follow the money.
The “actual cost" thing only works if you told the consumers ahead of time so they will have the incentive or disincentive to watch out for their behaviors.

Judging people behind the back actually doesn't work to encourage or discourage behaviors.

So, GM is portrayed as the bad guy here… but what about Lexis Nexis and the other databases here getting these data and brokering them for a profit, with no value provided to you, the originator?
Their customers are the insurance companies, not the consumer directly. They probably think they get their info legally, but in reality it is GM who somehow sold them without telling their customers who they sold it to.

I do think eventually we will have to do this, via "discount" instead of "raising prices". If you don't share your driving behavior you will pay more is likely the same as "cash discount" at gas stations, despite you can't charge extra for credit card (but not banning cash discount).

What GM should have done is telling their customers what they sold to who, and instead of someone being forced to pay more after the fact, they would know and either 1) don't buy GM or 2) don't drive a certain way.

Data brokers are big business, and the actual foundation for how some other types (ostensibly at least) of businesses operate.

Even the government buys from them. Whether they should is another topic that's better left untouched.

I bet that other manufacturers predicted this would happen and didn’t go ahead with the extra revenue for data mining. A really rotten low hanging fruit.

It was only a matter of time they would be exposed and I bet multiple execs at GM knew it, but were overruled. There were probably a few “told you so” moments in board rooms recently.
Fixed:
I bet that other manufacturers did this for the extra revenue, and haven't been outed yet.

I thought that at least one other manufacturer was already outed for this.

Well this has finally convinced my wife to allow me to disable the DCM on her Toyota. Not that I have heard Toyota is sharing and it would probably benefit us if they did, but its still anti freedom.

As much as I would like to agree, this is way too slippery slope. Soon we would need to present our Nexus papers to our comrades at check points everywhere.

The device you are using right now sells your data for profit including the website host company. Everything with an internet connection in your home, car and whatever else is selling your information INCLUDING your connected TV. All social media. They even know your preference of colors and more how your brain works than you do.

I know someone who was in the industry, big money, highly educated (like in top of the class educated). Wall Street firm, job of their department is the packaging of data then is gets sold on the market to the highest bidder.

Maybe more fitting for another thread some day when I have time.
The data collected from your "free" services ex. e-mail, chrome, MS ... brings in about $600 a year in profits
Microsoft Email and Google are at the top of their game collecting data. I wonder how many knew that the "Private" mode in Chrome browser shared all your data almost like everyday normal operations with everyone. Recent lawsuit is putting a stop to some of it.

Maybe more fitting for another thread some day when I have time.
The data collected from your "free" services ex. e-mail, chrome, MS ... brings in about $600 a year in profits
Microsoft Email and Google are at the top of their game collecting data. I wonder how many knew that the "Private" mode in Chrome browser shared all your data almost like everyday normal operations with everyone. Recent lawsuit is putting a stop to some of it.
The $600 figure is surprising, many of us know that "when a service is free, then your are the product" but I never saw a dollar figure attached to the value.

To many, this is the first time data sharing has made a personal and financial affect on their life. Hopefully more people are careful when they click "approve" on a EULA.

I saw a YouTube video on this last week.

They are doing everything possible to screw consumers.
Gotta wonder why it’s not an automatic refund of premiums on affected vehicles.

Why my insurance quadrupling is likely due to this.

The $600 figure is surprising, many of us know that "when a service is free, then your are the product" but I never saw a dollar figure attached to the value.

To many, this is the first time data sharing has made a personal and financial affect on their life. Hopefully more people are careful when they click "approve" on a EULA.

I never agreed to Onstar when I bought both of my GM products and they still did it, over the years I’m owed probably about 25,000 in overpayments

Back