valvoline synpower 5w-40 any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

does anyone know if valvoline synpower 5w-40 is a good quality oil or not worth using ? Just got a new used car and the dealer changed oil and filter before delivery. And he used that oil.

Søren

Seems knowing what vehicle you have might be helpful... 8)

Other info like what is recommended for your vehicle is also helpful.

Last edited:
Any Valvoline oil is good oil, even conventional. That is a real nice dealer, to put in the good stuff. Congrats on the new car, what did you get?

it's a mazda 6 1.8 mzr engine. i've wrote about the new familymember in here i couple of week ago. and thanks :)

mazda says Api sl 0w-20 5w-30 or 10w-40 what ever suits the climate best.

it's bin running 5w-40 from the mazda dealer 100.000 km since new.

Originally Posted By: shDK
it's a mazda 6 1.8 mzr engine. i've wrote about the new familymember in here i couple of week ago. and thanks :)

The 5w40 is way too thick and probably stealing gas mileage and power. Go for the 0w20 if you can.

I agree for a Mazda 6 1.8L the 5W-40 is certainly way heavier than necessary although you haven't said how you drive the car; maybe if you're driving flat out on the autobahn.

For normal commuting with no high speeds, yes the 0W-20 would be more suitable or a light A5/B5 0W/5W-30 if that's cheaper.

Hi shDK Valvoline Synpower 5w40 is good oil for your car.My wife once had a 2001 beetle 2.0 and that car was better on Synpower for some reason.As we speak she now has a Ford Fusion v6 and has Valvoline Synpower 5w20 in it and the engine is so quiet.By the way the VW ran 5w40 for 10,0000 miles and i do remember when changeing the oil it was clean and not black..enjoy your car

I think what CATERHAM and dparm were saying made more sense for the 0w20 and what Mazda said so if were me i would use 0w20

10w40 will be "allowed" because it gives a suitable cheap option for the owner should they not wish to buy expensive synthetics. SP 5w40 is much better than any 10w40 dino so it is therefore more than OK to use. It is however an oil with lots of euro specs intended for european applications that preferably use a 40 grade. If your Mazda gets normal use it's not really the best choice for your car IMO. I would have no problem with a SN 5w30. 0w20 will cost more and offer the best possible fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: dparm

The 5w40 is way too thick and probably stealing gas mileage and power. Go for the 0w20 if you can.

Yeah it might be stealing a whole .06 MPG got to watch that . But the engine will last three times longer - so I guess it is a trade off .

************ stay with the 5w40 good choice

Last edited:
I drive it mostly highway with speeds between 120-140 km/h. The fuelconsumption is pretty close to what mazda says i should use.

Apparently 20 oils is not verry popular here. It is considered to much of a compromise in bennefits of the fuelconsumption rather then protecting the engine. 5-40 is officially aproved by mazda denmark.

The first number is lubricity (how well it flows) at cold start...
Second number is lubricity when hot....

Hence a 10W- oil is good only when the weather is above freezing.
a 5W- oil is for moderately cold, down to around minus ten (Celsius)
0W- is for very cold, below 20 Celsius (zero Fahrenheit) or cold for an extended time

On the other side...
-40 is very thick when hot, -20 is very thin when hot.

Denmark looks like my home of Virginia, snows once a year, gets a little cold, moderate summers.

Run a 5W-30 (my choice) or a synthetic 5W-40....

If it was very cold, run a 0W-20 or 0W-30...
If it was very hot, run a 10W-40 or a 5W-40

Last edited:
We get nighttemps down to about -15 and maybe a couple of days a winther down to -20. Summer is typical about 20-25 celcius and rarely 30-33 celcius.

We usually drive a trip to southern europe(france italy or spain) in the summer where the engine is pushed hard for a long time.

With minimum winter temperature of -20C, and maximum summer temperatures of 33C, your engine would be fine with a 5w30 synthetic.

Last edited:
I.m sure a 5-30 is fine. Apperentlig mazda here think it.s just as good with a 5-40.

I drive it mostly highway with speeds between 120-140 km/h. The fuelconsumption is pretty close to what mazda says i should use.

Apparently 20 oils is not verry popular here. It is considered to much of a compromise in bennefits of the fuelconsumption rather then protecting the engine. 5-40 is officially aproved by mazda denmark.

"officially approved by mazda denmark" says it all, IMHO...

It is a great oil: has (according to my sources) just about all of the European makers latest specs, MB, BMW, VW, etc. in both MST & HST flavors.

Cheers!

With speeds that low you the ideal lubricant choice would be the lightest oil Mazda has spec'd for your engine; namely, a 0W-20 for year round use. Heavier 0W/5W-30 or 5W-40 oil grade will not provide any greater engine protection.
So the question comes down to cost an availability.
If a 5W-30 is significantly cheaper then use it; the fuel economy hit will not be significant particularly during the summer months. I would not recommend the 5W-40 grade, even if it was cheap as the 3-4% fuel economy hit over a 0W-20 should negate any cost effectiveness not to mention the other performance negatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back