Valvoline Synchromesh MTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Part # is 811095. Agreed about the weight, but the tech guy could only tell me is a 75W85 and not a 75W90. Comparing Redline's MT90 vs MT85, I'm guessing the viscosity is around 12 rather than 14ish. But again that is a GUESS.

The tech said that newer Toyota MTs were calling for 75W85 and it is intended to be a fit for this application.

Glad that you didn't have to change it out. Let us know after a couple hundred miles if it's better than your previous fill of M1 75W90.

Reponse from the Valvoline tech line email:

"The Valvoline Synchromesh MTF will replace the fluid used in your older Toyota. The Valvoline Synchromesh MTF is very similar to the Valvoline Professional Series MTF and covers a lot of the same applications. The major difference is, the VPS product is designed to be installed by repair shops the service with this product line, and the Synchromesh by the do it yourselfer."

Thanks for sharing.

That seems like good news meaning that they might have the same viscosity as per VPS' PDS. Yes, I don't see VPS on retailers shelves, so they might sell it in bulk for commercial use only. Valvoline Synchromesh is available in stores.

Still, I'd like to see either a VOA on this or a proper PDS to confirm kinematic viscosity.

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Reponse from the Valvoline tech line email:

"The Valvoline Synchromesh MTF will replace the fluid used in your older Toyota. The Valvoline Synchromesh MTF is very similar to the Valvoline Professional Series MTF and covers a lot of the same applications. The major difference is, the VPS product is designed to be installed by repair shops the service with this product line, and the Synchromesh by the do it yourselfer."

What a ridiculous response from Valvoline. It tells us nothing about the viscosities and applications differences, and contradicts their own data.

@ Antiqueshell,

According to Valvoline from JZiggy's phone call with their tech rep, VSM is 75W-85. That makes it a little thinner than the 75W-90 VPS at 100C kinematic viscosity. VSM may be between 10 and 14.5 cSt. That cSt value at operating temp is what we're waiting for. This number is key to finding out if you're using a 30 or 40 weight engine oil-like thickness in your tranny when it's hot.

Last edited:
@gregoron:

I have not received a response from Valvoline regarding my query concerning the actual cst viscosity number, API weight, and
ASTM D130 corrosion test. I sent the e mail about a week ago. I will try again,and I'll give them one pass on this.

Ask them to clarify the following:

Is there one or two sychroemesh fluids, what are the 100C viscosities, what are the applications, and are they or will they be available in the US market.

Last edited:
It's interesting to see that Valvoline offers a Maxlife-branded GL-4 75W-80 and 75W-90 in the European market:

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/transmission_oils/gear_oils/cid(6890)/maxlife_mtf_gl-4_75w-80
http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/transmission_oils/gear_oils/cid(6891)/maxlife_mtf_gl-4_75w-90

I'd buy some!

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/transmission_oils/gear_oils/cid(6890)/maxlife_mtf_gl-4_75w-80

Looks good on paper, Barely a 30 weight MTL. Specs very similar to Pennzoil Synchromesh.

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/transmission_oils/gear_oils/cid(6891)/maxlife_mtf_gl-4_75w-90

Wow, way too thick for a 75W90 MTL in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Ask them to clarify the following:

Is there one or two sychroemesh fluids, what are the 100C viscosities, what are the applications, and are they or will they be available in the US market.

I received an email reply from Valvoline with the PDS. I will post it here as soon as I figure out how to post images. Maybe I can PM someone who can post it here?

In the meantime, here are the details:

Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid Advantage
• Wide Temperature Range: Enhanced performance in both low and high temperature operating conditions
• Thermal Stability Resistance to oxidation and remains stable under extreme temperatures
• Wear Protection: Excellent wear protection under high loads and extreme pressure
• Anti-Foam Performance: Exceptional anti-foam performance for added protection
• Corrosion Protection: Protects parts from rust and corrosion
• Yellow Metal: Fully compatible with yellow metals including copper, bronze, brass
• Synchronizers: Outstanding performance of synchronizers

Test:

Vis @ 100C = 8.8
Vis @ 40C = 49.9
Viscosity Index = 157
Spec Gravity @ 60F = 0.872
Density (lbs/gal) = 7.27
Flash COC (C) = 201
Pour Point (C), max = -42
Phosphorus, wt% = 0.14
Sulfur, wt% = 0.35
Zinc, wt% = 0.11

Here's the description:

VALVOLINE SYNCHROMESH MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID
For Certain GM and Chrysler Synchromesh Applications
Valvoline SYNCHROMESH Manual Transmission Fluid is a high performance manual transmission lubricant designed to meet the extreme demands of passenger car manual transmission gearbox applications in certain GM and Chrysler vehicles. It contains a blend of multifunctional additives, a shear resistant viscosity modifier and premium quality base stocks. It is designed to provide excellent load carrying capacity, extreme pressure properties, anti-foam performance, corrosion protection and thermal stability protection as well as provide excellent cold temperature properties without altering synchronizer performance characteristics.
This product is recommended for Syncromesh applications in certain GM and Chrysler vehicles where synchronizer performance is vital. It is fully compatible with components in modern manual transmissions including yellow metals like bronze, copper and brass. Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid is suitable for use in the following manual transmissions and manual transaxles: GM Part Numbers 12345349, 12377916, and 12345577, and Chrysler Part Number 4874464. Meets API GL-4.

Effective date: 08/01/12.

It's THIN! Better for the Honda than the Yota.

Time for me to get some MTG or some MT90 I guess...

Last edited:
JZiggy, yes it is thin. I guess my bottle shake test worked this time.

You can get the RL MT-90 at Amazon with free shipping. I received mine in 4 days.

The question now is, where to get VPS other than repair shops?

Last edited:
Thin or thick is a relative term in the new world of new MTL designs.

Quote:
I received an email reply from Valvoline with the PDS. I will post it here as soon as I figure out how to post images. Maybe I can PM someone who can post it here?

Test:

Vis @ 100C = 8.8
Vis @ 40C = 49.9
Viscosity Index = 157
Spec Gravity @ 60F = 0.872
Density (lbs/gal) = 7.27
Flash COC (C) = 201
Pour Point (C), max = -42
Phosphorus, wt% = 0.14
Sulfur, wt% = 0.35
Zinc, wt% = 0.11

Here's the description:

VALVOLINE SYNCHROMESH MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID
For Certain GM and Chrysler Synchromesh Applications
Valvoline SYNCHROMESH Manual Transmission Fluid is a high performance manual transmission lubricant designed to meet the extreme demands of passenger car manual transmission gearbox applications in certain GM and Chrysler vehicles. It contains a blend of multifunctional additives, a shear resistant viscosity modifier and premium quality base stocks. It is designed to provide excellent load carrying capacity, extreme pressure properties, anti-foam performance, corrosion protection and thermal stability protection as well as provide excellent cold temperature properties without altering synchronizer performance characteristics.
This product is recommended for Syncromesh applications in certain GM and Chrysler vehicles where synchronizer performance is vital. It is fully compatible with components in modern manual transmissions including yellow metals like bronze, copper and brass. Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid is suitable for use in the following manual transmissions and manual transaxles: GM Part Numbers 12345349, 12377916, and 12345577, and Chrysler Part Number 4874464. Meets API GL-4.

The specs and applications are almost identical to Pennzoil Synchromesh, the GM Synchromeshes, Redline MTL70W80, Amsoil MTL, etc.

Last edited:
Now to confuse everyone even further, here's an excerpt from the email message I received that came from a product support rep at Valvoline:

"We have attached an Adobe PDF file copy of the product information sheet, as you requested, for the Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid. Valvoline recommends our Synchromesh product in virtually any application where an API GL-4 75w90 or 80w90 is required, therefore the viscosity range is very similar to that of any 75w90 gear oil."

I don't think this is equivalent to a 75W90 MTL.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
Now to confuse everyone even further, here's an excerpt from the email message I received that came from a product support rep at Valvoline:

"We have attached an Adobe PDF file copy of the product information sheet, as you requested, for the Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid. Valvoline recommends our Synchromesh product in virtually any application where an API GL-4 75w90 or 80w90 is required, therefore the viscosity range is very similar to that of any 75w90 gear oil."

I don't think this is equivalent to a 75W90 MTL.

It is not equivalent to a 75W90 MTL.

Where does Valvoline get these people?

Undoubtedly, these respondents have no STLE certifications or training in Lubricants.

That I agree.

Molakule, would you be adding this to your list of MTL's? I can send you the PDF of the product sheet if you want.

Thanks.

PS. You too Antiqueshell and Jziggy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back