Valvoline “hybrid” ATF sighted.

46CD9152-C7B9-4E4E-BB89-9BE8DC0DE2DB.jpeg

At the local Walmart. Pricing is $1 more than regular MaxLife. If it’s still around in a few months, I’ll be using this in a Lexus RX that sees heavy rideshare use and my Prius. The 2nd gen Prius, which is the first generation of THS-II doesn’t have fluid contacting the electric motors but there is an oil pump that circulates fluid around the transaxle. Not sure about the newer versions.

Attachments

• ADDB8F9D-944C-4E2F-957F-C29EAD13798F.jpeg
    ADDB8F9D-944C-4E2F-957F-C29EAD13798F.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 47
MaxLife ATF is recommended for a CVT? That's news to me, I thought it was Castrol that had a ATF/CVT fluid. The Hybrid recommendations are also confusing to say the least, it covers applications that MaxLife already does; talk about overlap! Same fluid, different packaging?

MaxLife ATF is recommended for a CVT? That's news to me, I thought it was Castrol that had a ATF/CVT fluid. The Hybrid recommendations are also confusing to say the least, it covers applications that MaxLife already does; talk about overlap! Same fluid, different packaging?
It makes mention of “copper care” technology to prevent copper corrosion. It might not matter if the motors are sealed off from the mechanicals.

Allison has an TES-468 spec for ATF used in their hybrid bus systems - a bigger scale version of GM’s 2-Mode hybrid system. Don’t know what it entails - but I have a feeling it includes copper corrosion protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I read on here from Molakule that the Maxlife now uses the same additive package as the Castrol- some Afton. Correct me if I’m wrong

Back