Valvoline 5w40 Euro - '17 BMW M3, 4000mi oci

Slightly less miles, but I did a cruising/roll race "track" day and already had some issues with shear and dilution last season, so I wanted to check. Car has BM3 stage 1 93oct tune, AA single mid pipe, CTS turbo intakes for mods. Probably going to try the new LL-01 M1 0w40 next summer and report back. I refilled with the same Valvoline this time and will change at 4k.... whenever that is. Open to recommendations for -20f to 100f ambient temp oils that may hold up better, because I'm not seeing much on other forums for better UOAs at this level of mods for upper mid-west climates.

M3 OCI #2.jpg

Slightly less miles, but I did a cruising/roll race "track" day and already had some issues with shear and dilution last season, so I wanted to check. Car has BM3 stage 1 93oct tune, AA single mid pipe, CTS turbo intakes for mods. Probably going to try the new LL-01 M1 0w40 next summer and report back. I refilled with the same Valvoline this time and will change at 4k.... whenever that is. Open to recommendations for -20f to 100f ambient temp oils that may hold up better, because I'm not seeing much on other forums for better UOAs at this level of mods for upper mid-west climates.

View attachment 175222
There is a VOA of this oil floating around somewhere. I have it in my database, but I don't have a link to the original post. But it was done at Blackstone, so it should be comparable to your report. The starting viscosity is 12.6 and the starting flashpoint is 445. Based on that, I'd say there's more fuel dilution going on than Blackstone thinks.

Looks good but it definitely has more dilution than they say. Overall it's not bad as it didn't thin that much. Still near a mid 30.

Valvoline API SN starting KV100 is 13.5 I think. So it did shear down.
You worry too much about ambient temperature. That is absolutely not a concern in your case as you live at a low altitude, and F80 has a ridiculously capable oil cooling system.
Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2 is similar KV100 but HTHS is 3.8. You could try that if you go street oils.
If you want something exotic, I would try HPL as there is plenty evidence of KV100 retention.

This is meant as an honest and serious question:
If this engine/car is on the race track with high performance tuning and modifications, why wouldn’t there be fuel dilution?

This is meant as an honest and serious question:
If this engine/car is on the race track with high performance tuning and modifications, why wouldn’t there be fuel dilution?
Because high performance tuning and modifications are not the cause of fuel dilution. You'll get fuel dilution more readily with direct injection engines that have frequent short-trips and even more-so in cold weather with short trips.

Because high performance tuning and modifications are not the cause of fuel dilution. You'll get fuel dilution more readily with direct injection engines that have frequent short-trips and even more-so in cold weather with short trips.
Thanks. Learning in my mid-sixties! Things haven't changed then…I harkened back to carburetors and high performance. I really thought (obviously incorrectly) that fuel injection all but eliminated fuel dilution issues for the most part except for high perf mods and spirited driving…

Increasing boost/cylinder pressure and subsequent fuel on this car absolutely increases fuel to the oil over the normal DI stock background levels.

Especially when you start using water meth injection. 4k OCI’s were ideal on my twin turbo with WMI.

I’d dial it back to 3k OCI based on this Lab Analysis. Oil has sheared down out of 40 grade. That’s a sign that it’s getting hammered and isn’t up for the task.

Choose a stronger oil or simply change it more often, especially with track events added into the mix.

I don’t think this is a fuel dilution problem in this powerful engine with mods.

Reactions: wlk

View attachment 175222
Apologies for a late comment, but is this an SP oil rather than SN? There is an SN Valvoline 5W40 VOA on this site, and it hardly has any Moly, and has a wealth of Calcium. This one seems to be SP (to me). Yet I haven't seen one in my local stores.
Valvoline 5W40 Euroe SN https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/valvoline-euro-5w40.339292/

I also bought these 2 jugs at a Walmart, I still have some of a jug from the OCI report in question. It was SN 5w40 Vavoline euro (or at least the 2qt or so left from that change). I would assume it was all SN, but I can't be sure. I'm running new ll-01 0w-40 M1 right now. I will have a polaris labs report going forward (7mo wait to get that login with them, ???). Sometime in April '24 for that result though.

I would start looking for a more robust oil, especially since you track the car. I run Ravenol VMP 5W30 in my '18 M240i. It's a true synthetic oil (group 4 base stock). Look for the VOA and UOA of this oil.

Back