Using old new oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DGXR
That stuff is fine for a mower or tiller. I would not use that oil in my cars. Consider this, how much money are you really saving? Or if money is not your motivation, 6L is not enough quantity to really consider as wasting (in my opinion). And if it's not money or waste, what is your motivation for using it? It's 15 years old, not of the recommended viscosity but of a "permitted" viscosity during specific temperatures? Just too many questions going on here.

For me, 6L of old oil is nowhere near justifying the concern being carried around in the back of my head "how is that old oil doing in there?"

Run fresh oil in your valuable vehicles, run this ancient stuff elsewhere or give it to an old timer.

If you choose to use it, do as others said -- shake it well and dilute with 0w20 or 5w20.

I would use it just for fun, anything that takes 20W-50 is going to be older than the oil, so who gives a hoot?

You could run this oil in anything in your sig in the warmer months without issue.
"Canada" covers a lot of ground, but on the Pacific side, a 20W-50 grade could be a year round oil.
I'd personally run it as is in the Tercel and the Supra, but if you must thin it, use any current 5W-20 fifty/fifty.
DO NOT use MMO.

The Tercel will be the receiver.

It's not that much about saving money, I can easily afford the 3.5 liters (3.7 quarts) of oil this engine requires.

It's more of an experiment just for the fun of it.

I already know how the engine behaves on 10W30, let's see what 20W50 will do, if anything. I would not have bought 20W50 just for this experiment, but since I already have it, I'll go for it at next OC.

I have some leftover new 10W30 HM from this car's last oil change, but not enough for another full refill. Is this OK for dilution or should I really get 5W20 ?

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
1. Send some of it for a VOA
2. I am sure someone would pay shipping or pick it up locally. Vintage 20W50 for BITOG hipsters! EDIT: Where do you live in Canada?

I'm in Quebec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back