Used Oil Color - Black-ish vs. Red/Orange-ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SR5
I don't know jack when it comes to this stuff, but SonofJoe recently said they don't make heavy GTL base stock.

So when I asked him how do they make GTL based Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 full synthetics, he suggested that they must use a heavy mPAO base with it.

I used SHU 5W40 once and it did seem to clean up my engine very nicely, from looking through the fill hole.

Or they could simply be using a heavy Group III base alongside the GTL. I think that is more likely given the price of mPAO. Would love to know just how much GTL is in Shell/Pennzoil's "Pure Plus" oils. Probably more the lower in viscosity you go.

Last edited:
Good point. Light GTL and a heavy Group III

Both M1 and Edge 0W40 contain PAO, so you could mix this with some GTL based SHU / PP. It makes sense what you say, the lower viscosity oils maybe contain more GTL.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: SR5
I don't know jack when it comes to this stuff, but SonofJoe recently said they don't make heavy GTL base stock.

So when I asked him how do they make GTL based Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 full synthetics, he suggested that they must use a heavy mPAO base with it.

I used SHU 5W40 once and it did seem to clean up my engine very nicely, from looking through the fill hole.

Or they could simply be using a heavy Group III base alongside the GTL. I think that is more likely given the price of mPAO. Would love to know just how much GTL is in Shell/Pennzoil's "Pure Plus" oils. Probably more the lower in viscosity you go.

Makes good sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back