Uptick in colds?

I went 6 years without getting a cold. Rarely sick. Last 6 months I've had 3. Some were from kids bringing it into the house. When I went to get my kidney stone surgery, nurses at the hospital said they are tired of masks and seeing an increase in colds etc. Anecdotal but makes you wonder.

The girl brought home yet another virus over the weekend. I remember reading about kid's innate immune systems are really bad until around 13-15 years old.

I had thought wearing a mask too long was one of the factors. I wore a mask all the time in the store. Not bc I was afraid of Covid, I just hate getting sick. Now I'm wondering if that worked against me.

However, the latest science shows masks don't do much unless it's a KN95 or higher.

Last edited:
Masks are primarily to keep you from spreading your viruses to others, not to keep you from catching a virus.

With everyone masking and reduced social contact, I have been cold free for the last three years, unusually long for me. But now that masks are optional and mostly not used, I expect to catch one sooner or later.

Just getting over a pretty miserable cold, at day eight. took dayquil and Nyquil on this one, and I frown on even taking a aspirin. All the over the counter meds in my cabinet are expired, that is how much I avoid taking OTC stuff. And I don't have any prescription meds.

Avoid the cold that may be spreading if possible.

I normally only catch a mild flu once every ~3 years but I got hit twice the winter, the worst I've ever gotten. All my friends said they all got hit hard this winter too. Maybe it's because we're finally coming out of a 2 year hibernation.

Just getting over a pretty miserable cold, at day eight. took dayquil and Nyquil on this one, and I frown on even taking a aspirin. All the over the counter meds in my cabinet are expired, that is how much I avoid taking OTC stuff. And I don't have any prescription meds.

Avoid the cold that may be spreading if possible.
I'm a germaphobe. I am spraying rubbing alcohol everywhere I can LOL. Feel better!

Reactions: GON
tired of masks and seeing an increase in colds etc. Anecdotal but makes you wonder.
100% masks, they work, as you said N95 is the way to go. People in Japan / Korea wear them out of courtesy when they are sick, we should too. My Doctor told me on my physical last year that he saw literally 1 case of the regular flu.

its ALL about your immune system!! i NEVER get sick anymore at 75 YO because i eat pretty good sleep well + am active + take LOTS of nutritionals!! mainstream recommendations are minimal NOT optimal as the pros note. there is NO money in healthy people + thats what big medical LIKES. lots of added sugars + high carbohydrate intakes which quickly turn to sugar + raise insulin is surely an issue!! lots to be learned on-line if you land on the right web sites, before that i read books + articles + YOU gotta sort the truth from sooo much misinformation!!

That's not the point. They're better than nothing and the better masks were needed for medical personnel, people with compromised immune systems, etc.
I understand that. I wore a mask from the beginning and was one of the last to wear one. Now that the variant is less severe, I stopped wearing a mask.

Blows my mind the science is or was unsettled on masks. So why do surgeons and doctors wear them? I've seen some studies done, one was from a Korea doctor, who said masks do work. However, these are the KN95 and 95 masks that are of higher quality. But most of the time doctors are wearing those surgical masks, which apparently do nothing.

I haven’t worn a mask in years, since it was required.

I too have noticed more colds around here recently. I had one or two before Christmas, went to a warm climate, got better, came back, had one or two more, went to spring break, got better, returned home, then had one more. I’ve never been sick more than once a year in my life…

All were mild colds. No fevers, not much beyond feeling lousy for a day or two, lots of snot, sometimes a sustained cough.

I don’t think I’ve had a cold since before covid. I may have caught original covid and had it for a short time once years ago. That was the last time I was sick, must have been 2020 or 21?

So something is going around, and it’s hard to fight. It seemed for me to be related to cold weather. Twice I went to the urgent care during those because I thought I might be coming down with sinusitis or strep. They did a covid test each time but it was always negative. And they never prescribed antibiotics…

I haven’t worn a mask in years, since it was required.

I too have noticed more colds around here recently. I had one or two before Christmas, went to a warm climate, got better, came back, had one or two more, went to spring break, got better, returned home, then had one more. I’ve never been sick more than once a year in my life…

All were mild colds. No fevers, not much beyond feeling lousy for a day or two, lots of snot, sometimes a sustained cough.

I don’t think I’ve had a cold since before covid. I may have caught original covid and had it for a short time once years ago. That was the last time I was sick, must have been 2020 or 21?

So something is going around, and it’s hard to fight. It seemed for me to be related to cold weather. Twice I went to the urgent care during those because I thought I might be coming down with sinusitis or strep. They did a covid test each time but it was always negative. And they never prescribed antibiotics…
Sounds very similar to me. Pesky colds. Prior to covid I rarely got sick. It was years. 🤷‍♂️

I am still recovering from some viral thing that has lasted way too long...I'm not usually one to get sick either. However, only so much your body can do when your child sneezes in your eyeballs...which is how I picked it up :ROFLMAO:

Back