UOA '03 MDX RL 5w-20 3k miles and gaining oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my first UOA ever on a 2003 Acura MDX with 119,000 total miles and 3000 miles on this oil, Redline 5w-20. What prompted the UOA was the fact the vehicle gained oil during the previous change, and after 3000 miles on this oil, had gained .8 of a quart. This is what Analysts Inc. reported:

aluminum antimony barium boron 89 potassium calcium 2123 silicon 6
chromium copper 4 sodium 62
iron 3 tin lead magnesium 9 zinc 935

Fuel was 1% and water as % of volume was
Since draining out oil for the lab, over the most recent 1200 miles, the level has started to go back down ever so slightly. The sodium number was the only one the lab flagged as high.

Was the sample taken when the oil was hot?

Was the fuel # actually 1%, or is that merely Analysts, Inc's way of reporting all fuel content at or below 1%?

What oil did you use before Redline?

The oil sample was not taken while hot because I didn't want to burn myself, and hadn't read some of the posts saying you need to do it when not. On the fuel content, 1% was their finding and the technician who called me with the results said it should actually be at less than that, how much less she didn't explain and I didn't think to ask. The previous 2 oil changes before the Redline were both Valvoline Synpower 5w-20 both drained at around 5000 miles. Prior to that had used Amsoil 0w-30 for around 2 years.

Thanks. I have been thinking there is an angle I have overlooked and this is definitely one I would have never thought of. Think I will drain another sample and send it this time maybe to Blackstone? Or is there some other place I should consider sending it?

Get an interpretation from Dyson Analysis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
The oil sample was not taken while hot because I didn't want to burn myself, and hadn't read some of the posts saying you need to do it when not. On the fuel content, 1% was their finding and the technician who called me with the results said it should actually be at less than that, how much less she didn't explain and I didn't think to ask. The previous 2 oil changes before the Redline were both Valvoline Synpower 5w-20 both drained at around 5000 miles. Prior to that had used Amsoil 0w-30 for around 2 years.

The Valvoline 5w-20 contains a sodium additive. The Sodium you are seeing here is residual from the Valvoline oil.

Oil should ALWAYS be changed hot. The hotter the better. If you are careful you will not burn yourself.

If the oil level keeps rising it is either due to fuel or antifreeze. Maybe water, but I doubt it. If it turns out to be fuel, I would consider getting the injectors cleaned and tested. If it is coolant, have the cooling system pressure tested.

Originally Posted By: prax
Get an interpretation from Dyson Analysis.

I'd rather consult my tarot cards.

Quote:

At least they are not a waste of money. A cleaning service will not fix a damaged or worn injector.

He seems intent on doing a UOA and doesn't seem to have a problem with spending money. Dyson is widely recommended esp. if you got the money.

OP: Make sure you get the premium kit if you want the interpretation. Dyson RAW is like blackstone or analysts inc. and will only give you numbers.

Quote:

At least they are not a waste of money. A cleaning service will not fix a damaged or worn injector.

Injector flow test and cleaning will tell you if your injectors are toast. That's why I recommended if he suspected an injector problem.

Did not know that, but it doesn't change the fact that you are guessing.

Also, no need to change the oil hot. Your body is more important than your engine. Oil doesn't have to be hot, just warm enough. 10-15 minute drive is sufficient imo.

Did not know that, but it doesn't change the fact that you are guessing.

Also, no need to change the oil hot. Your body is more important than your engine. Oil doesn't have to be hot, just warm enough. 10-15 minute drive is sufficient imo.

I never said the fuel injectors were the problem. I told the OP to proceed with normal troubleshooting and IF fuel injectors was a possibility, a flow test and cleaning can confirm that.

10-15 minutes is a long time. I drove my Altima around the block for a few miles and the oil was hot enough to burn off my fingertips.

Does anyone have a phone number or e-mail for this Dyson and how much do they cost? Are you suggesting Dyson is better than Oil Analysis Inc. or Blackstone? Am somewhat of a newbie but thus far I haven't seen anyone post a Dyson analysis, not saying there aren't any just that I haven't seen one so this a new one for me. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
10-15 minutes is a long time. I drove my Altima around the block for a few miles and the oil was hot enough to burn off my fingertips.

Realizing that this is pretty OT, but oil temps vary quite a bit in relation to sump size, external cooling, and specific engine. Driving my car normally on the highway the oil is never more than "warm", regardless of distance, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back