Unfamiliar Spider

Walking the pup in back 0f the barn and noticed this very unusual web. While the picture doesn't capture it well, certainly the depth, the web is almost perfectly pocket shaped. The owner is hanging in the middle, inside the 'pocket', here enjoying a small unfortunate spider. The spider itself doesn't look like anything I've ever seen around here...interesting. I find spiders, heck almost all wildlife interesting, but prefer spiders from a little bit of a distance :D
gs423.jpg

I’m not sure what kind of spider the brown one is, but the glossy black one looks like a black widow. Up under that window is the perfect place for a Black Widow to hide. I wonder if the two spiders wanted to occupy the same space and the Widow lost?

wolf spiders are pretty big and dont usually make webs.
but I suppose it could be eating a black widow in its web.

Wolf spiders ambush brown recluses, black widows, and other venomous spiders without the fear of being injected with the venom. Nevertheless, they only eat such spiders when there are very limited food options. Wolf spiders prefer going after smaller spiders, sometimes even baby brown recluses and black widows.

Looks like a wolf, but AFAIK they do not make webs, at least not as complicated as this, but I suppose he could have gone out for dinner...

Back