TX Termite Treatments

Hi folks, we recently purchased a new construction home in TX. I started setting up appointments with pest control companies for the primary concern of termites. I know TX law requires certain precautions to be required at time of build, I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that regular treatments/monitoring was still needed immediately. The first individual I met with recommended NOT to have a treatment for termites started so soon, he recommended 3-4 years would be an appropriate time to start doing so. While on one hand I appreciate his attempt at saving me money, on the other, I've not seen literature anywhere that indicates the pre-build treatments are sufficient enough to last that long.

Any TX residents experienced with this?

Last edited:
I don't know the laws in TX.
The initial treatment lasts like 10 years. But should be monitored yearly with a termite bond.
For example these are popular ones. And it claims:
  • Termidor SC, Navigator SC and Taurus SC are long-lasting. Government and other tests in the US and abroad have shown that in almost nine years, there has been no break or reduction in their effectiveness.
Re-treatments generally require digging a trench around the entire perimeter of the home and applying a certain volume per linear foot.

Most termite treatments (after initial) have evolved to bait stations. In my area companies are almost all using Sentricon.

I don't know about texas, but id want the ground treated, Termador preferably for the soil.

Even if i did it myself, i'd probably want Boracare sprayed heavy on the exterior sill plates and bottom of the studs, after the walls go up. Even the exterior wood sheathing, before the wrap goes on. You could do that one friday evening after they leave. I'd have a documented pre treatment done for insurance/code purposes, and you could follow yourself with the boracare.

I wish i had done that when my house was built. But i didn't know.

Last edited:
I've lived in different parts of the US, but North Texas has been home for a few years now. Termites seem to be much less of a concern here than other areas. When I was in Maryland, termites were a big problem and I remember getting yearly treatments. In California I recall seeing people's houses getting "tented" as a termite treatment.

I'm going to ask some long-term residents what they say about termite treatments. What part of the state are you in?

Boracare is what is used by our builder during the build.

@Joel_MD , I’m just NE of Austin.
I have lived in the Austin area for over 42 years. We have a very bad problem with Termites around here RamFan. I can guarantee you that there were termite infestations for a thousand years in the field where they built your house. If I were you I would have the termite treatment done right away. Between the new construction treatment and your treatment you should be good for about 10 years. Start using bait traps at about 8-9 years to check for them.
If you put up a privacy fence make sure you put pipe in the ground and use pressure treated lumber for the wood. If you don't you will be putting up new fences every 4-5 years between the termites and carpenter ants feasting on it.

Last edited:
Our home in Georgia is ten years old. We’ve been here for five years. We have a perimeter of Sentricon bait stations. They are monitored yearly and replaced as needed. We also get a home inspection yearly. One bill per year and it’s reasonable.

Never had a termite bond, never had a treatment, I would do my own around the foundation every few years. Nothing extravagant and common sense stuff, make sure there is a solid 8+ inches before the soil surface around the foundation of the home, make sure water drains away from the house.
Never sold house that was shown to have termites, never sold a home with a termite bond on it. I never will, if the buyers buy into that line they its up to them to pay for. Now on to our new 4th home next week.

From Long Island NY for decades where we used to read how much termites loved the sandy soil to South Carolina where we are told they love the warm weather.

Im not against treatments or preventatives for those that do not have the time or know how but common sense and educating yourself if that is something one wishes to do is just as good and saves money. (you can do your own bait traps too if you wish)

Lets face it, we live in a "subscription" society where much of the population allows companies to suck their hard-earned money away for services for things on a monthly basis much they can do themselves IF they choose, if not, like I say that is fine too!:)

Back