Two Thirds Of New Cars Will Be Electric/Hybrids by 2032

The Biden administration finalized its crackdown on gas cars Wednesday, with the Environmental Protection Agency announcing drastic climate regulations meant to ensure more than two-thirds of passenger cars and light trucks sold by 2032 are electric or hybrid vehicles.
Doesn't Biden have a vintage Corvette? Is he going to scrap it or is this a case of, do as I say not as I do?

I laugh a little at it because ICE is not going away any time soon. Regardless of the polarizing politics that you hear. I’ve talked to a few people in the actual know- and the grid would be DOA if we tried.

I can see a future in more hybrids- as that is thinking more long term.

I’d be cool with a hybrid myself…..

There is nothing to see here. ANYONE who follows the auto industry knew this was coming, and it is much better than what the EU is doing. While the EU is still trying to keep the 2035 ICE ban (it won't be successful), the US took a different approach. Key is in hybrids. There is nothing to see here. BMW M3 is a hybrid, Toyota Sequoia is a hybrid, BMW's absolute hit in SUV category is PHEV, etc, etc.
They just made it formal where things were going, and it was obvious that hybrids would be the name of the game for some time coming.

my car...
original_f4aa6041-a59b-4bef-8870-25fa7cfdd5f2_PXL_20221022_135818030.jpg

Toyota Motor Corp. lowered its electric vehicle sales expectations for this fiscal year by a rather significant 39 percent, from an initial 202,000 units to a less-than-stellar figure of 123,000, the company said in its second-quarter financial report.
But, Toyota is leaning on its internal combustion and hybrid models to help it reach record profits by the end of this fiscal year that closes on March 31, 2024.

I’d be cool with a hybrid myself…..
We've had a hybrid in the fleet since 2010 that now has over 200K miles. It's been the most reliable car we've ever owned.

I am now 15 months into the PHEV experience and don't plan to ever go back. I charge it at home and at free public chargers when convenient. The EV range is 20-25 miles which covers the vast majority of my daily driving. The ICE range is over 500 miles which means there is no difference vs. a traditional vehicle when it comes to road trips.

While the source referenced by the OP isn't exactly a great example of objectivity in journalism, this does seem alarming.
The headline may be no more than clickbait, though.
Have a look at USEPA's take on this final rule:

There is nothing in it that bans ICE light vehicles and strategies for compliance of these vehicles are outlined therein.
Even the Post's headline suggests a big part of the solution: HEVs.
As an HEV owner for a little over 100K so far, I can tell you that I see silly low fuel consumption with no downside.
Ford and GM have offered some very good PHEVs in the past. We can look forward to a return of these vehicles in the near future.
In many ways, a PHEV is the best of both worlds in that they can allow enough battery range for many or most users daily mileage and the winter in Chicago problem is avoided with that ICE for when the charge runs out.
OTOH, people seem to hate change even when that change is an obvious and painless improvement over the status quo.

Agree, until something better than a battery powered car comes along, 50 years maybe?
People live in a world void of reality until reality is right in their face

You should look up the CATL M3P battery. It's 15% cheaper than the previous best.

What are you waiting for, a Mr. Fusion?

Back