Trying 50/50 mix of 87 octange regular and E85

Status
Not open for further replies.
With gas approaching $4 per gallon here, I decided at my last fill-up to try a 50/50 mix of regular and E85. This blend should more than satisfy the octane requirements of the 3.5 HO in my 300M (which will run okay on straight 87, but doesn't like it--89 is spec'd). So far, engine seems peppier, no starting problems, no check engine light. We'll see how things are after 2 or 3 tanks of this mix.

Wish I could get E-85 around here, I wouldn't mind experimenting myself. How much is it a gallon?

Originally Posted By: -Clayton-
Wish I could get E-85 around here, I wouldn't mind experimenting myself. How much is it a gallon?

I was going to say the same thing.
frown.gif
I like the idea of using only enough E85 to increase the octane of the 87. I'm secretly considering filling a couple 55gal drums at the only E85 station about 40 miles away and experimenting with my boat this summer. She's a thirsty beast and she only likes the best!

Originally Posted By: -Clayton-

It was $3.31 a gallon when I filled up. It may be more now.
smirk2.gif

You'll add 2 octane numbers for every 10% ethanol you add to your base fuel.

E10 is 89 octane and E20 is 91 octane if blended into 87 octane base gasoline.

I'm on my second tank of this mix and still running fine with no check engine light. Gas has gone up twice since I started this "experiment" but E85 is still $3.31 per gal.

Im about half way through my first tank if 7 gal E70 to 14 gasoline in an 06 Nissan VQ3.5 and all is well, quite good actually. Not too concerned about the seals, fuel lines, or pump given what we are seeing so far. Thought it was a little funny that one of the supposed risks was sparking of the in tank pump (Boom?).

Anyone want to weigh in on mixing the E70 we have here with pump gas in a direct injection application?

Provided all of the high pressure bits are compatible, a direct injection *should* not have any of the driveability issues that a port injection engine may have with high ethanol blends.

Possibly expensive risks 'though.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
The market will soon respond and the price of E85 will rise to match the cost of gas on a BTU basis, once enough people find out.

So shut up already!
48.gif

I just found an E85 pump. $3.25 while gas is $4.10. Is 50% a max number based on something? My thinking is that E85 is ok to run if you are going to use it all up in a day or so and not let it sit in the tank.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I just found an E85 pump. $3.25 while gas is $4.10. Is 50% a max number based on something? My thinking is that E85 is ok to run if you are going to use it all up in a day or so and not let it sit in the tank.

If the car isn't designed for it, use any ratio at your own risk. There's a post a few threads down about using it in a car not designed for it you should read.

The market will soon respond and the price of E85 will rise to match the cost of gas on a BTU basis, once enough people find out.

I doubt it. Unike gasoline E85 is govt subsidised. It will always be marginally less.

I'm surprised we're not seeing an influx of E85 conversion kits on the market now; maybe in a year or two if gasoline hits $10/Gallon.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
I doubt it. Unike gasoline E85 is govt subsidised. It will always be marginally less.

It's less until you remember who is subsidizing it.

Gasoline is very heavily subsidised if you think about it.

I'm starting to see it here. There are only two local chains that carry E85 and one of them has already upped the price to within 5 cents of regular. Where I buy it E85 is still about 40 cents cheaper.

I stopped buying E10 about 5 months ago.

When petrol was $1.10, the gap was 4c. Petrol's now $1.60, and the gap is still 4c.

We got our first run of 50/50% E85 and E10. What % is that??? Anyay, mpg looks ok in the old CRV, driving fast interstate. It did not get monitored closely, but looks pretty normal. Will be trying it again.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

I'm starting to see it here. There are only two local chains that carry E85 and one of them has already upped the price to within 5 cents of regular. Where I buy it E85 is still about 40 cents cheaper.

Now close to 60 cents cheaper. Gas goes up here almost daily, but E85 at the station where I buy it has remained the same price for several weeks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back