Truck driver skin aging after 28 years of sun exposure

Most automotive glass does not let much UV through contrary to popular belief.

This is from University of Utah. There is UVA and UVB radiation from the sun. UVB does get blocked by car windows, but 29% of UVA gets through driver’s window! Gotta tint one’s car
IMG_5582.jpeg

Trying to figure out if my Irish heritage is of help or not here. Light skin, have gotten a burn in like 15 minutes--I swear, one time I got a sunburn one night when I fell asleep while reading on my Kindle (ok that's a Martin Short shot at Steve Martin). Have learned to avoid sunburns and keep out of the sun when it's at its worst. Only to find my arch nemesis: windburn. Can't win.

I dislike driving with the window down, too much noise. But have found on long drives that I still feel like I've gotten a sunburn, so I do wonder if glass blocks all of the bad sunlight. Maybe being a desk jockey isn't so bad after all: I'll die of coronary disease, not skin cancer...

Looks like a woman in her late thirties who started smoking in her teens.

And this my friends was one reason smoking has been declining significantly. Not the only reason but a very apparent reason.

Looks like a woman in her late thirties who started smoking in her teens.

And this my friends was one reason smoking has been declining significantly. Not the only reason but a very apparent reason.

You’re talking about British lorry driver, right? 😁

Back then no one knew. I looked up, and it was 1997 when science officially confirmed that sun tanning causes cancer.

Also, many men consider it unmanly to use skincare products, including sunscreen, so…
Yup, it’s very annoying. Whenever I rode my bicycle to work, I would put on sunscreen before commuting both ways. One guy in his late 20s pestered me about it. “Why do you put sunscreen on? I don’t need to put it on.” What an irritating remark, as though his skin was biologically superior or something (light skinned guy). Sorry, but unless you have dark skin tone, all our skin is the same. In fact, someone with very dark skin tone is equivalent to 13 spf.

Back then no one knew. I looked up, and it was 1997 when science officially confirmed that sun tanning causes cancer.
It was a lot earlier than that. One of my occupational medicine textbooks says the first scientific study that determined that UV light causes skin cancer was in 1928. It had been hypothesized that sunlight caused skin cancer as early as 1894.

That’s why people in the past looked older, they spent more time outside.

Not sure if I would equate the aged skin to damage or something bad though. Sure skin cancer is a thing, but I’m not convinced the various chemicals found in sun block creams are any better.
Aged skin is primarily due to sun (ie UV light) damage. How do we know that? Check the body area of an older person that has never been sun exposed - still nice skin eh.

And yes you must avoid UV blocking creams with toxic components or something you're actually allergic to. But UV blocking creams are an essential for someone who is significantly sun exposed.

Sun exposure is also the major cause skin cancer. Most skin cancers (basal cell carcinomas) are not too serious. They just has to be removed. But there are also dangerous skin cancers (squamous cell carcinomas and especially malignant melanomas).

That's a false photo. That lady had a stroke. It's been floating around the internet for many years.
I don't know what to believe, I've seen people get awarded for 2 and 3 million safe miles, and never noticed their face was somehow adversely affected. It's tough work for sure, but sometimes I wonder where all this stuff comes from.

Aged skin is primarily due to sun (ie UV light) damage. How do we know that? Check the body area of an older person that has never been sun exposed - still nice skin eh.

And yes you must avoid UV blocking creams with toxic components or something you're actually allergic to. But UV blocking creams are an essential for someone who is significantly sun exposed.

Sun exposure is also the major cause skin cancer. Most skin cancers (basal cell carcinomas) are not too serious. They just has to be removed. But there are also dangerous skin cancers (squamous cell carcinomas and especially malignant melanomas).
How did people survive and thrive for thousands of years before all of this?
Now blocking creams are essential? How do you know there aren’t bad chemicals in the cream? Because the package says so?
What about vitamin D?

Back