Triple QX oil specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn

....Which VW spec in particular is it supposed to meet?

Again this is only the oil suppliers claim but the exact wording they use on the TQX 5W30 is "Approved By VW for VW 504.00/507.00 Specifications"

Would they get away with that wording if it wasn't true ?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Olas
Popsy said:
You're dead right, it's at the low end of the market.
However it meets all the specs listed on the bottle, so it's not complete rubbish.

How do you know that?

I don't know that because I haven't submitted it to VW, but it says so on the bottle and we have laws around false advertising in the UK (I'm not a legal expert) so it must be true? Besides, it's not like 502 or 505 are stringent specs..

Originally Posted By: Olas
I don't know that because I haven't submitted it to VW, but it says so on the bottle and we have laws around false advertising in the UK (I'm not a legal expert) so it must be true? Besides, it's not like 502 or 505 are stringent specs..

Well we have those laws too but...

Originally Posted By: barryh
Again this is only the oil suppliers claim but the exact wording they use on the TQX 5W30 is "Approved By VW for VW 504.00/507.00 Specifications"

Would they get away with that wording if it wasn't true ?

So that's what it says on the bottle? I guess, but still I'd wonder why it doesn't show up on the approved oil list. Is a 504.00/507.00 what you need?

Granted, I've always minimized approved oil lists since they are outdated the minute they are printed. I've always advocated going by what the bottle says so maybe it's not a big deal.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Nothing regarding composition? I haven't seen something interesting about it, but I can't read Dutch!

Contains zddp and hydrogenated oil.

and under 3% Dimethyl sulfoxide

The data sheet that I have doesn't list HTHS but that could also be said for the data sheets of many big name oils.

You would assume it's min 3.5 if it meets ACEA A3/B4

I don't know for sure, but I'd hazard a guess that Triple QX is blended by one of the many UK independant oil blenders using a market general DI pack and VII polymer supplied by one of the AddCo's and base oils they've bought on the open market. All the clever techie stuff will have been done by the AddCo, not by the blender. Provided they follow the finished oil formulations supplied by the AddCo, the oil should be fine.
Think of it this way. I get hayfever. I could buy branded Piriton tablets or the generic ones. They're the same stuff, just that one is far cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back