Triax Synergy Gear SF 75W-80

Bought a jug of this and then got cold feet about using it, so I got a VOA. I found some threads on here about Triax engine oil, but none about gear oil. I intended to use it in a ZF S5-42 manual transmission. Ford says to use DexMerc, while ZF says a lot of things, one of which is 75W-80. I see that it has no boron; are the calcium and phosphorus adequate substitutes?
TRIAX SYNERGY-230808a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a jug of this and then got cold feet about using it, so I got a VOA. I found some threads on here about Triax engine oil, but none about gear oil. I intended to use it in a ZF S5-42 manual transmission. Ford says to use DexMerc, while ZF says a lot of things, one of which is 75W-80. I see that it has no boron; are the calcium and phosphorus adequate substitutes?
This should be posted in the Gear Oil Section. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/forums/gear-transmission-used-virgin-oil-analysis.47/

Looks like clean gear oil. I use their 75w-140 in the rear of my Ford.

All of that info is irrelevant; does the Triax carry the actual certifications that Ford has in your owners manual? I’d assume not since Mercon is a far cry from a gear oil.

Unless you’re willing and able to replace the transmission if it fails, the Triax is a bad idea IMO. Even buying the correct fluid now, you’re money ahead compared to a failed transmission.

All of that info is irrelevant; does the Triax carry the actual certifications that Ford has in your owners manual? I’d assume not since Mercon is a far cry from a gear oil.

Unless you’re willing and able to replace the transmission if it fails, the Triax is a bad idea IMO. Even buying the correct fluid now, you’re money ahead compared to a failed transmission.
I don't care what Ford wants. ZF's recommendations supersede Ford's. The 'correct fluid' was never Mercon.

I don't care what Ford wants. ZF's recommendations supersede Ford's. The 'correct fluid' was never Mercon.
Heck yeah, then! Go ahead, use an unapproved fluid of questionable quality.

I’m pretty sure since they were warrantying them for 5 years or 60k miles, Ford had some level of confidence in its choice of fluid. But since you’re so sure you know better, why did you even bother asking about the Triax you already purchased?

Heck yeah, then! Go ahead, use an unapproved fluid of questionable quality.

I’m pretty sure since they were warrantying them for 5 years or 60k miles, Ford had some level of confidence in its choice of fluid. But since you’re so sure you know better, why did you even bother asking about the Triax you already purchased?
I was asking about whether the additive package looked light compared to peer oils. I am 100% confident in not using ATF, I'm only unsure about the particular brand of oil. Not only are there exactly zero DexMercs on ZF's list, there are a multitude of 75W-x, quite a few 80W-90s, five 80Ws, an 80, a 90, and even an 85W-90.

edit: I sloppily equated DexMerc and 'ATF', even though there are many other, incompatible, autamatic fluids.

I was asking about whether the additive package looked light compared to peer oils. I am 100% confident in not using ATF, I'm only unsure about the particular brand of oil. Not only are there exactly zero ATFs on ZF's list, there are a multitude of 75W-x, quite a few 80W-90s, five 80Ws, an 80, a 90, and even an 85W-90.
Calcium is a detergent; phosphorus is anti-wear. Boron is a detergent as well.

Only Triax would be able to answer if their formula does what you’re hoping. We can’t guess based on a $30 oil analysis, sorry.

Look at the universal average column. Black stone is telling you it sucks, basically.
Universal averages encompass all kinds of oil and all viscosities, used and virgin. PCMO, HD diesel oil, gear oil, maybe hydraulic fluid? At least, according to Blackstone.

Universal averages encompass all kinds of oil and all viscosities, used and virgin. PCMO, HD diesel oil, gear oil, maybe hydraulic fluid? At least, according to Blackstone.

Ask them what their basis was, maybe they can share a better comparison if you ask.

They don’t dump them all in the same bin. Each viscosity is kept separate. Oils are not interspersed with gear lubes.

Every result ever would be worthless if that were the case. Your results are compared to the universal averages of other 75w80 gear oils. That’s it.

I have listened to every single of blackstones podcasts. The analysts want its customers to contact them with questions. so it’s worth the followup, i am with @SubieRubyRoo on this though, 95 percent chance it’s averages for gear oil. I also cross checked other UOAs in the gear section, this VOA additive pack is weak.

I only use gear lubes that have the appropriate certifications. Brand is irrelevant.

It keeps things simple.

I only use gear lubes that have the appropriate certifications. Brand is irrelevant.

It keeps things simple.
ZF specifies TE-ML 02B or TE-ML 02E be used in this transmission. These are lists of individually approved lubricants, with a wide range of viscosity and both GL4 and GL5. Almost all of them appear to be European and inconvenient for me to get. Ford specifies Mercon, which is not on ZF's lists and also far thinner than anything that is. The add pack in the Triax seems weak compared to GL5 lubes, but strong compared to most ATFs. It almost seems like ZF just likes making money selling approvals for a transmission that is supremely unpicky about lube.

ZF specifies TE-ML 02B or TE-ML 02E be used in this transmission. These are lists of individually approved lubricants, with a wide range of viscosity and both GL4 and GL5. Almost all of them appear to be European and inconvenient for me to get. Ford specifies Mercon, which is not on ZF's lists and also far thinner than anything that is. The add pack in the Triax seems weak compared to GL5 lubes, but strong compared to most ATFs. It almost seems like ZF just likes making money selling approvals for a transmission that is supremely unpicky about lube.
Great, put it in, follow up and let us know next year how things go.

The transmission isn't even in the truck right now, but I'll be sure to report back if the bearings weld themselves to the case.

It's typical GL4 formulation, it's not weak, well not bad at least from VOA, similar as Amsoil ,Motul, Fuchs, Shell...
If ZF says GL4 it's ok.
Triax recommends it for many specs, probably has not homologation, but others well known oils same.

Back