tranny problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok here goes another prob with my wonderful s15 jimmy 92 700r4 tranny well it starts out in first goes to 2nd 3rd and immediatly into overdrive even though the tranny is in drive lugs the the engine badly did this once when first bought then did it all day thurs now back to normal when it does this it lugs the engine badly does this even in drive i did change filter and tranny oil its weird it only does it randomly

Is there a certain speed that it does this at? Will the engine die when the Jimmy stops or does the lugging stop before then?

It kind of sounds like the torque converter is locking up before it should.Some GMs are bad for this.The TCC,Torque Converter Solenoid,acts up and causes problems.

Last edited:
yeah i have heard of this on similiar gm,s but this one is weird it will do it all day 1 particuliar day it will shift into overdrive at 30 mph even though its in drive but then i drove it all day today and no prob it is the 700r4

I am not sure about this trans. but I have had the TCC mess up on a GM car I have and it drives fine for days and weeks at a time and then it messes up again.It has done this for years.

The fix if that is what is wrong is a new TCC solenoid.

You can unplug the TCC on the trans. and see if it stops lugging,if it does,it is probably the solenoid.

It does sound like the solenoid but I cant be for sure.

i think i know the tranny your referring to th 125 found on most cavis sunbirds but it sounds like the very same problem on myn 700r4 overdrive tranny

If you can find the TCC plug,unhook it,it wont hurt anything to try and see if it is the problem.The thing about unhooking it is that the motor will turn higher RPM's when you go over 30-40 mph.

On other models of vehicles the transmission will go into what is called a limp node, this is when you have problems, the PCM ( I forget the terminology) is trying to save the transmission when it sees a problem, now the million dollar question is hat is the problem... however I have never dealt with the GM transmission problems. One more thing is grounding, if you have grounding issues this may also play a role in the problem, and when it gets cold grounding issues rear their ugly head.

I hope I didn't steer you way off base here, like I said I'm unfamiliar with the GM transmissions.

Did some research on your trans.It was introduced in 1982 and was renamed the 4L60 in 1990.You do have a TCC and the plug should be located close to where the torque converter is located on the trans.It is a square shaped plug and about 3/4 inches square and around an inch long.

It should have 3-4 wires running to the plug.

The plug may be on the drivers side from what I can find out,that would be the location of the plugs I have dealt with in other GM cars.

You may also try and remove the negeative battery cable for 20 seconds or so and that should clear out any codes that have been stored but it will probably be temporary.

If it is the TCC solenoid,they dont cost very much but you will most likely have to get it installed,not a fun project.

Originally Posted By: -Clayton-
Check the adjustment on the TV cable as well.

I agree. It may not solve the problem but it might and will definitely help plus it's easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back