TP - Link Archer AX1450 Router $36

Just got one of these last week. Works transparently, which is how a router should work. Old one conked out so I didn't want to wait for a mail order one, so it fit the bill.

You get what you pay for. However, many expensive consumer grade routers are expensive, and don't deliver. They lack in the software department because they're underpowered and overpriced, so proper security can't be implemented. These cheap routers are good for access points, and just get a cheap mini PC, install pfSense or OPNsense on it and you're golden. There won't be any Chinese or Iranian servers port scanning you and trying to brute force their way into your network.

just get a cheap mini PC, install pfSense or OPNsense on it and you're golden.
I'd add IPFire. At least as good as *Sense IMO. The reality, though, is most people would never consider this route. It's a notch or two above the comfort level of someone who is techy but not at sysadmin level of knowledge.

I'd add IPFire. At least as good as *Sense IMO. The reality, though, is most people would never consider this route. It's a notch or two above the comfort level of someone who is techy but not at sysadmin level of knowledge.
I used IPFire back when it was IPCop. Highly recommend. Much more focused on the average semi-technically literate person who doesn't have a CCNA certificate.

Add to what ? This is something I never heard of .

I recently ordered a TP- Link AX3000 Archer AX55. I had to return it. It was defective right out of the box. I imagine it was due to the way it was packed. I’m still using a LinkSys WiFi 4.
I’m thinking about just buying one at my local Walmart. I’m not in a hurry. I would just like a little more range.

Add to what ? This is something I never heard of .
IPFire and PfSense are operating systems that are designed to act as home networking appliances. They have sophisticated anti-intrusion features and protect things like WIFI routers from external scans by from the internet and such.

IPFIre topology.jpg

IPFire and PfSense are operating systems that are designed to act as home networking appliances. They have sophisticated anti-intrusion features and protect things like WIFI routers from external scans by from the internet and such.

View attachment 207519
To add a little, you basically make your own router with many more features and much higher security. Take a spare computer, add a 2nd ethernet port, install IPFire or PFSense, configure it, and you have a firewall/router that kicks ass. You don't have to use a spare computer; you can also buy a "firewall appliance" for a couple hundred bucks that is already set up hardware-wise and install the firewall to it.

To add a little, you basically make your own router with many more features and much higher security. Take a spare computer, add a 2nd ethernet port, install IPFire or PFSense, configure it, and you have a firewall/router that kicks ass. You don't have to use a spare computer; you can also buy a "firewall appliance" for a couple hundred bucks that is already set up hardware-wise and install the firewall to it.
Right. You also turn off all the networking features on the router like DHCP and just use it as a wireless hub.

you can also buy a "firewall appliance" for a couple hundred bucks that is already set up hardware-wise and install the firewall to it.
The only time I use Wifi in my house is if I'm streaming Roku on the TV or listening to a Youtube podcast in another room . Most of the time Wifi is turned off . So installing a Firewall probably wouldnt be beneficial in my case but more for a business . But good to know regardless .

Wifi isn't really the problem. The issue is that the router itself can have unpatched vulnerabilities independent of the wifi functionality. The software they run stops getting updated fairly quickly.
Yup, and that's before you consider the implications of using a product wholly developed and manufactured in China like CCP-Link.

The only time I use Wifi in my house is if I'm streaming Roku on the TV or listening to a Youtube podcast in another room . Most of the time Wifi is turned off . So installing a Firewall probably wouldnt be beneficial in my case but more for a business . But good to know regardless .
Here's what I do in my home: IPFire is my router and firewall. It goes to a dumb network switch, and my wired devices (desktop computers) plug to it. I then have an access point also going to that switch, which serves all the wireless devices in the home. The wireless devices have the same security as the wired ones because they use the same gateway to the internet (IPFire).

Can we get back on Topic ?
Walmart has the TP - Link Archer AX1450 Router on Sale for $36

When we moved into a 3100 square foot house (2 floors) a regular wifi router wouldn't cut it. I have two sons who game and stream, plus we stream all our tv, movies, etc.

Tried one of these routers and it wasn't very good for our use. Went to google mesh (original one in 2019) and it was awesome. Blanketed the whole house with fast wi-fi. Just recently it started dropping out now and then, so reading online, these units were good for about 4 years and then started burning out. Went with an Eero 6 mesh system and doubled my speeds throughout the house. NO more drop outs.

Bottom line, small house, the TP Link Archer is fine. Big house, go mesh.

Back