Toyota 2GR-FE tapping valve train

Has any concensus been reached on any fixes to a tappy valve train in the 2GR? I understand they are not adjustable due to hydraulic lifters. Thank you.

Sure. Best thing you can do is replace the VVT screen filters, PCV, change your oil every 6,000km and use 5W30 full synthetic. If it is ticking so bad that it is causing you issue, then pull the heads and have them rebuilt.

Does your engine sound like the one in this video? https://www.camryforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-23/camry-2gr-fe-v6-engine-ticking-noise-51876/ This particular instance of a ticking noise was resolved when the alternator pulley was replaced. If you are absolutely certain that your engine's ticking is valve train noise, then try increasing oil viscosity. My 1GR-FE engine specifies 0W-20 and I fill it with 5W-30.
Maybe a bit? The engine is fairly lower mileage and seems to have just started ticking after a oil and filter change with a Fram ultra cartridge and M1EPHM OW-20. It sounded very dry when started like it took several seconds for the new filter to fill up and pump the hydro lifters up, then quieted some but a slight tick I didn't remember was still present.

I'll have to try the accessory belt trick to eliminate any accessory noise as the culprit.

Sure. Best thing you can do is replace the VVT screen filters, PCV, change your oil every 6,000km and use 5W30 full synthetic. If it is ticking so bad that it is causing you issue, then pull the heads and have them rebuilt.
PCV and cleaning the VVT screen filters under the banjo bolts is definitely on my short list. Mostly I am concerned because the tick wasn't there before a oil change, and hope I didn't inadvertently damage something during the "dry" start.

I’ve never heard the 2GRFE engines having lifter tick...I have heard of the VVT ticking/clicking/tapping, when the mileage gets high upon startup.

If its lifter tick, with hydraulic lifters, perhaps you can try a little mystery oil to see if it’ll dislodge whatever is perhaps clogging your lifter.

I’ve never heard the 2GRFE engines having lifter tick...I have heard of the VVT ticking/clicking/tapping, when the mileage gets high upon startup.

If its lifter tick, with hydraulic lifters, perhaps you can try a little mystery oil to see if it’ll dislodge whatever is perhaps clogging your lifter.
It may be what you are saying, there is quite a bit going on under the valve covers with the DOHC VVT.

What kind of Toyota is this in? It was used in a wide variety of vehicles and different configurations. The 2GR in my Tacoma is direct and port injected and is one noisy, clackly little bugger. There's hundreds of thread of it on the Tacoma boards. It's a little unnerving the way it sounds, bit it is deemed normal in that case.

EDIT: Well apparently I'm not awake yet. My truck has the 2GR-FKS, so my input is likely invalid. Probably same base engine though.

Pull the Fram filter replace with different brand and top off the oil. I would advise the use of a Champ for Toys but I don't see any traditional perf metal core ones anymore. Second best would be a Wix. I have had a couple of toys jam up the VVT after an OC. One of the reasons I joined BITOG ages ago.

1/2 to 2/3rds prefill the filter before install if it is a spin on. Don't fill it all the way.
Good luck report back.

If this is new noise with the filter/oil change, I would change the filter to a Toyota filter and see what happens. Dry sounding start is not sounding good.

Maybe a bit? The engine is fairly lower mileage and seems to have just started ticking after a oil and filter change with a Fram ultra cartridge and M1EPHM OW-20. It sounded very dry when started like it took several seconds for the new filter to fill up and pump the hydro lifters up, then quieted some but a slight tick I didn't remember was still present.

I'll have to try the accessory belt trick to eliminate any accessory noise as the culprit.
M1 for me in many engines (except in BMW as all oils run smoothly in inline 6) produced more noise. In my 2GR-FE there is definitely more noise compared to BMW TPT 0W20 that BMW dealership put in Sienna when they took the vehicle on trade and then I got it.
Am I concerned? No. UOA of 10K run with M1 5W30 EP provided stellar results, and I really, really drive this thing aggressively.

Pull the Fram filter replace with different brand and top off the oil. I would advise the use of a Champ for Toys but I don't see any traditional perf metal core ones anymore. Second best would be a Wix. I have had a couple of toys jam up the VVT after an OC. One of the reasons I joined BITOG ages ago.

1/2 to 2/3rds prefill the filter before install if it is a spin on. Don't fill it all the way.
Good luck report back.
I immediately replaced it with a factory toyota cartridge filter just to eliminate the variable.

What kind of Toyota is this in? It was used in a wide variety of vehicles and different configurations. The 2GR in my Tacoma is direct and port injected and is one noisy, clackly little bugger. There's hundreds of thread of it on the Tacoma boards. It's a little unnerving the way it sounds, bit it is deemed normal in that case.

EDIT: Well apparently I'm not awake yet. My truck has the 2GR-FKS, so my input is likely invalid. Probably same base engine though.
This is the transverse model they use in the Highlander and RX350, etc.

Back