Toro 159cc TXP chonda tappet valve specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most of you, I cant leave well enough alone.

I popped the valve cover on my barely broke in newish Toro personal pace recycler with the "toro TXP OHV 159cc" to check the valve lash. Intake= .003 and exhaust=.007

It has cute little valves, tappets, pushrods, and rockers, seems well engineered and made compared to most chondas.

Now, .003 seems kinda tight to me, especially on an air cooled engine. Does anyone have the actual lash specs for this engine, other chondas, or maybe what the honda engine specs since they are similar?

OHV Hondas are typically .006" on the intake valve and .008" on the exhaust valve (+/- .001" on both). I agree that .003" is too tight for either one of them. I'd set them at .006"/.008" for intake/exhaust.

That's what I thought, thanks. Luckily they are easy to adjust tappets. I wonder if it came from the factory like this, or somehow mowing one season with it tightened the clearance?

Update:

After adjusting the valves, the mower seems to start easier. This is a guaranteed to start model after all, but it still takes a couple pulls. I also replaced the place-holder "torch" spark plug with a proper NGK plug, greased around the air filter seal, and a fresh oil change of T5 for good measure.

Lesson learned. Check the valves when new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back