Top oil producing States

Texas still dominates US oil production, but New Mexico has taken 2nd position, surpassing North Dakota. US oil production has hit an all time high of over 13 million bbls per day. Here are the top 11 States. Also, the Gulf of Mexico adds another 1.8 million bbls per day. Notice how Alaska has dropped to 6th place, behind Oklahoma. The chart is in millions of bbls per day. Enjoy.

A641ACC1-74C4-4AE9-AE4F-4A0823FD5D47.jpeg

The oil company's have a huge amount of control in many of these numbers. The decision to work over and re-frac are made by bean counters every day. An old well put on a stripper timer can many times be made to be a real producer again with modern methods. A big part of that decision is getting that crude to the refinery, pipeline capacity/availability. We are now a an all time production high for crude oil in the United States. Prices remain stubbornly high because much of our finished product goes overseas instead of hanging around. I am something of an anomaly I suppose, I made a good living in the energy industry for a long time, but I see the destruction of the South American rain forests for mining and farming and it makes me unhappy. I see the before and after pictures of the Canadian tar sands and it saddens me. I do realize we need the products being produced but it makes me wish for more nuclear now instead of later.

Last edited:
Alaska didn't get some of the leases renewed/approved.
They actually have more oil than all the other states combined.
You know what i learned living there?
Oil is not a fossil fuel.
It is constantly renewed under the crust, we will never run out.

The oil company's have a huge amount of control in many of these numbers. The decision to work over and re-frac are made by bean counters every day. An old well put on a stripper timer can many times be made to be a real producer again with modern methods. A big part of that decision is getting that crude to the refinery, pipeline capacity/availability. We are now a an all time production high for crude oil in the United States. Prices remain stubbornly high because much of our finished product goes overseas instead of hanging around. I am something of an anomaly I suppose, I made a good living in the energy industry for a long time, but I see the destruction of the South American rain forests for mining and farming and it makes me unhappy. I see the before and after pictures of the Canadian tar sands and it saddens me. I do realize we need the products being produced but it makes me wish for more nuclear now instead of later.
You mean the Canadian Oil Sands. It’s the world’s largest natural oil seepage cleanup operation. Over 1/2 the production comes from under ground steam injection. The smaller amount is from the surface mining operation which is collecting the sand that was naturally contaminated by oil seepage that reached the surface in geological time. Current combined production is 3.3 million bbls/day. ;)

Last edited:
You mean the Canadian Oil Sands. It’s the world’s largest natural oil seepage cleanup operation. Over 1/2 the production comes from under ground steam injection. The smaller amount is from the surface mining operation which is collecting the sand that was naturally contaminated by oil seepage that reached the surface in geological time. Current combined production is 3.3 million bbls/day. ;)
I have seen these pictures of vast deforestation to accommodate the extraction of this resource. Not sure if the photos are valid as I haven't seen it with my own eyes. I think most would agree that the resident oil seepage covered by a boreal forest is superior to the two million acres of previous forest as purported. The advantage of extraction in more traditional methods with or without fracking is the landscape of that huge field(s) in Texas is basically the land itself is kind of featureless.

Last edited:
I have seen these pictures of vast deforestation to accommodate the extraction of this resource. Not sure if the photos are valid as I haven't seen it with my own eyes. I think most would agree that the resident oil seepage covered by a coniferous forest is superior to a barren landscape as purported. The advantage of extraction in more traditional methods with or without fracking is the landscape of that huge field(s) in Texas is basically kind of featureless.
How many acres of shopping malls are there in America? Canada has 1.2 billion acres of forest. Vast Devastation? Nope.

How many acres of shopping malls are there in America? Canada has 1.2 billion acres of forest. Vast Devastation? Nope.
The Astrodome and it’s replacement stadium were built over a depleted oil field - as you know surface extraction of crude is not the norm as is with many of the “hot” minerals needed these days …

Alaska didn't get some of the leases renewed/approved.
They actually have more oil than all the other states combined.
You know what i learned living there?
Oil is not a fossil fuel.
It is constantly renewed under the crust, we will never run out.
That is why I call it what it is Mineral oil. Fossil fuel is a catch word used by a certain faction.

And if it is not "mined" or drilled and used at some point in time it will naturally spew from the ground at various locations.
It naturally bubbles from the ocean floors and some marine life thrive on it. There are areas I think in California that have natural tar pits or what ever. All seems to be a big secret that is never talked about.

I guess the days of Pennsylvania sweet crude have ended. In places like Titusville and Oil City, these towns were the birthplace of the oil industry in this country.

I don't agree with the self renewing crude theory as there is no science to support it. I was taught that crude was mostly plankton like creatures that were oil bearing, that coalesced, after the oceans they were in evaporated more than 60 million years ago. If I'm wrong, please provide some references with independent review.

Having worked in the sub surface seismic mapping equipment industry for 20 years, and having been to all the oil sands plays in northern Alberta, the "vast deforestation" is an overplayed call of movie stars (with huge carbon footprints) and aboriginal people who are looking for a big payout. The vast majority of the open mines are built on "forests" that were a bunch of stunted pines and oily muskeg that could barely sustain growth. Is it pretty? No, but it never was.

The underground plays, like Carmen Creek, have their forests intact and, while there is infrastructure, the functional forest is still there.

Back