Top End & Oil Ring Cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day everyone, I recently came into ownership of a 86 Suzuki Samurai. I believe the mileage on the engine is either 58K or 158K, not sure. Compression results are good with only one cylinder under the factory spec. I had to replace the valve seals and the upper end is pretty dirty, what's a good additive to clean the engine and clean the piston rings? It's consumed some oil over the past three weeks driving it to work. I have no past history of the vehicle or maintenance.

Good day everyone, I recently came into ownership of a 86 Suzuki Samurai. I believe the mileage on the engine is either 58K or 158K, not sure. Compression results are good with only one cylinder under the factory spec. I had to replace the valve seals and the upper end is pretty dirty, what's a good additive to clean the engine and clean the piston rings? It's consumed some oil over the past three weeks driving it to work. I have no past history of the vehicle or maintenance.
5 yrs and 60k miles ago I did a piston/combustion chamber soak for 48 hrs with Gunk brand MotorMedic (AutoZone) on our GM gasoline 6.2L V8. It cured our stuck piston ring oil consumption problem.

ACDelco GM Original Equipment 10-3007 Top Engine Cleaner - 13 oz Aerosol

- hands down the best I ever used.

Can it clean rings as well? Seems like a carbon cleaner. I am interested since amsoil powerfoam does not ship to California this one seems like a good similar product

I like the BG EPR, High Performance Lubricants Engine Cleaner 30, or my most used of Gumout Multitune, one oz per qt, idle 10-15 minutes and use the remaining in the fuel tank.

I like the BG EPR, High Performance Lubricants Engine Cleaner 30, or my most used of Gumout Multitune, one oz per qt, idle 10-15 minutes and use the remaining in the fuel tank.
Question for the MultiTune and the "CarbonClear" as it says. I didn't see anything on the can saying PEA. The Regane bottles on the shelf say "CarbonClear" but have PEA in the description under it. Is the CarbonClear the same stuff? I usually use BG44k but the Gumouts are easier to get. WalMart also has the Berryman's.
IMG_4028.jpg
IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4025.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

ACDelco GM Original Equipment 10-3007 Top Engine Cleaner - 13 oz Aerosol

- hands down the best I ever used.

^^^^ This^^^^
I was under impression that ACDelco 10-3007 Top Engine Cleaner is a basic carburetor/throttle body cleaner.
Screenshot (21).jpg

While ACDelco 10-3015 Engine Cylinder/Combustion Chamber Cleaner in the 32oz bottle is the actual Unicorn juice when it comes to ring cleaning.
Screenshot (22).jpg

Anyone knows the true difference between the two?

Berryman’s B12 fuel system cleaner is the bee’s knees, but not when used as an additive. Pull the spark plugs and let it soak down thru the rings. The results are amazing.
It works awesome. I did multiple piston soaks while I had the head off and now I have probably the only Isuzu that doesn't burn oil.

Still leaks it though...

This is 1st hand experience. My Toyota T100 5vzfe truck has 282,XXX on it and I have fed it Amsoil HDD 5w30 since I bought it w/ 179,xxx on it. I drive to work a particular way ever day and there is a hill and it will kick down a gear if I don't go around 75mph and it drops to 55mph when topping the hill. The idle was like a cammed engine when in gear. I always will get a pending code P0171, especially in cool weather.

I had bought a quart of Kreen motor tonic some years ago and never used it. I ran across it while cleaning my garage a few weeks ago and decided to try it. I put 1oz in each cylinder and let it soak about 30 hours, I put 16oz in gas and remainder in fresh oil. When i installed the plugs and started it there were no strange noises, but it smoked for about 2 miles. The change was instant. I drove it passed where i work and it did not gear down and I could tell it had more power. The pending P0171 has not returned and I haven't reset the ECU. The rough idle is gone. I can go up that hill and maintain 55mph the whole way without gearing down.

The Kreen in gas had not time to work, so I give all credit to piston soak. The missing P0171 I guess could be attributed to the PCV getting cleaned by the Kreen, not sure. My oil did not change color as I've read by other posters, so I guess my engine innards was clean (it should be)

So, I think , no matter how clean your engine is, high mileage engines can get caked, gummed up rings.
I've never been so impressed with a product like this. It worked so well and so quick.
I ordered 4 more quarts and I'm going to do two more piston soaks, then do it once a year.

This is 1st hand experience. My Toyota T100 5vzfe truck has 282,XXX on it and I have fed it Amsoil HDD 5w30 since I bought it w/ 179,xxx on it. I drive to work a particular way ever day and there is a hill and it will kick down a gear if I don't go around 75mph and it drops to 55mph when topping the hill. The idle was like a cammed engine when in gear. I always will get a pending code P0171, especially in cool weather.

I had bought a quart of Kreen motor tonic some years ago and never used it. I ran across it while cleaning my garage a few weeks ago and decided to try it. I put 1oz in each cylinder and let it soak about 30 hours, I put 16oz in gas and remainder in fresh oil. When i installed the plugs and started it there were no strange noises, but it smoked for about 2 miles. The change was instant. I drove it passed where i work and it did not gear down and I could tell it had more power. The pending P0171 has not returned and I haven't reset the ECU. The rough idle is gone. I can go up that hill and maintain 55mph the whole way without gearing down.

The Kreen in gas had not time to work, so I give all credit to piston soak. The missing P0171 I guess could be attributed to the PCV getting cleaned by the Kreen, not sure. My oil did not change color as I've read by other posters, so I guess my engine innards was clean (it should be)

So, I think , no matter how clean your engine is, high mileage engines can get caked, gummed up rings.
I've never been so impressed with a product like this. It worked so well and so quick.
I ordered 4 more quarts and I'm going to do two more piston soaks, then do it once a year.
invaluable!! thanks for sharing

Yup, a good solvent can definitely free-up stuck rings when used in the manner that you've described. I suspect those rings were stuck long before your ownership but you've only now freed them up. What do your filters look like, any carbonaceous particulate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back