Toilet Paper AIR Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
toilet paper air filter.. that is when the guy in the restroom is blowing it up in the next stall and you plug your nose with TP?

That's a seperate discussion. I've recently started checking an air quality website here and the numbers are fairly alarming, so I may be building a better respirator shortly.

Build a better respirator and the world will cough politely and move on.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Also you would be seriously reducing your surface area on the filter.. (why filter is pleated)
and definite durability concerns esp. with moisture.

The first bit is probably true to a large extent, (though if the paper is sucked against the filter it may end up somewhat pleated). However, it doesn't seem to matter, since the general condemnation limit for filter restriction is 10 inches of water so I've got a lot of headroom. The "naked" filter apparently has very little restriction.

The results of that paper I linked to above suggest that sub-condemnation filter clogging has very little impact on fuel consumption or power output in carb cars, and essentially none in fuel injected cars.

IF its different for my car I should eventually see a rise in fuel consumption due to running rich, and I'll be defeating any decoke effect of my restriction gauge/decoker, so I'll have to stop doing it.

I can reduce the chance of this by reducing the applied restricdtion to the minimum necessary for the decoker to work, perhaps about 2 inches of water.

Only other potential downside of the decoker I can see is possible thermal shock damage from water droplets hitting the back of the intake valves. Can't really evaluate that risk, but it might be slightly reduced by fitting the smallest available needle (has #22 in at the moment). The risk could be eliminated by using steam, which might be possible, but its more complicated and potentially richens the mixture by displacing air.

Re durability, I think that's exaggerated, but there's only one way to find out. If the paper turns to mush, I'll have a mushy air filter, but I won't have to junk it until its a mushy clogged air filter, which is likely to take quite a while.

All that said, foam is probably better. If I'd had some suitable foam, I'd have used it, and when I come across some I probably will.

I might still try paper on the outside of the foam though.

Textile is another possibility. Maybe a crepe bandage?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: Donald
Given the low cost of a quality air filter and the cost of a new engine, I will continue with quality air filters and pass on the toilet paper.
Donald, I don't who is funnier. By now, you should be aware of OP's bent. Plus he delights in maintaining an old heap, 'scuse me, vintage sedan on an island where they don't fix cars. He also doesn't speak the lingo. He lives to horrify the OCDs that populate Bitog. I used to do the same stuff on the e 28 forum. Sit back and enjoy the entertainment. Sorta Lik Red Green on PBS
35.gif

While this is all true (except the "sedan" bit. Its a hatchback made to look like a saloon, since a hatchback is like a van, which is a commercial vehicle, so would involve loss-of-face. Chinese thing) I do try and be logical with it, and sometimes succeed.

Nothing obviously disastrous so far

I removed one of the two strips of hand towel, to give a single thickness, with a bit of overlap.

There's some staining visible in the area opposite the air intake. Looks like water staining. Bit puzzled by that, since I wasn't aware of any rain, but I was at the beach and did get the car stuck in loose sand for a while, so there might have been some spray around and/or more dust than usual.

Could also be some blow from the coolant reservoir, though it isn't green.

Its also visible on the removed strip.

Anyway, whatever it is, its probably better here than on the filter, though some of it doubtless ended up there as well.

Overhead flourescent lighting

Natural lighting. That might be the reverse (filter) side. I forgot to check.

Last edited:
The localised nature of the staining suggests that extra protection immediately opposite the air intake might be worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

I removed one of the two strips of hand towel, to give a single thickness, with a bit of overlap.

There's some staining visible in the area opposite the air intake. Looks like water staining. Bit puzzled by that, since I wasn't aware of any rain, but I was at the beach and did get the car stuck in loose sand for a while, so there might have been some spray around and/or more dust than usual.

Anyway, whatever it is, its probably better here than on the filter, though some of it doubtless ended up there as well.

Curious to see what happens after a 8 hour drive in the rain- although this is more a prefilter than a filter.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

Curious to see what happens after a 8 hour drive in the rain- although this is more a prefilter than a filter.

UD

Sure. Although a pre-filter is a filter. That's why they call it a pre-filter. Everything is relative.

Re 8 hours in the rain, dry season now, plus if I drive for 8 hours in any direction in Taiwan I'm going to fall off the end.

Continuing the crepe bandage idea, if I put that next to the filter and the paper on top, whatever happens to it I should be able to peel it off.

UD

Sure. Although a pre-filter is a filter. That's why they call it a pre-filter. Everything is relative.

Re 8 hours in the rain, dry season now, plus if I drive for 8 hours in any direction in Taiwan I'm going to fall off the end.

Continuing the crepe bandage idea, if I put that next to the filter and the paper on top, whatever happens to it I should be able to peel it off.

I think the crepe bandage is a better idea as it is not designed to come apart. and in a heavy influx environment you could ljust take it off and roll another right on.

UD

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: csandste
And... used air filters make a good TP substitute. Good for several wipes.

LOL and added dirt catching ability!

Never use the stuff. Seems such a waste.

Ewwww....

Some people just seemed to be fascinated with the idea of using toilet paper for other things. If you want an air filter element, go to a parts store and purchase one.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Some people just seemed to be fascinated with the idea of using toilet paper for other things. If you want an air filter element, go to a parts store and purchase one.

I already have one. There's a picture of it above, for those (quite a few localy, it seems) with attention deficit and/or reading difficulty.

I suppose I should make a Youtube video, but I'm not going to.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: csandste
And... used air filters make a good TP substitute. Good for several wipes.

LOL and added dirt catching ability!

Never use the stuff. Seems such a waste.

Ewwww....

I've operated a bit in the Middle East. Truly it is written:-

"When in Rome, pinch girl's bottoms with your right hand.
When in the East, wipe your own bottom with your left hand."

Applies in various Koran-influenced cultures in Asia, but doesn't seem to be just a Muslim thing since it seems to apply generally in India, for example. Probably just a matter of local practicality.

Here they use toilet paper and dump it in a bin for someone to clear away. Ewwww...I'm not doing that.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
At idle and low engine speeds, the air flow through the paper element is so SLOW - that it IS essentially, a bypass filter.

Don't ever go "full throttle" and the dirt will never get sucked through
grin.gif

Dunno, but the distortion and visible dirt in the pictures below is quite noticably localised opposite the air intake, suggesting velocity in this area might be relatively high. It could just be impact, rather than flow through, but the dirt does penetrate at least to the second layer.

This suggests that, at least on this (obsolete?) design of filter housing it would be worthwhile to deploy a local "sanitary pad" (quotes optional, and before you start, I don't use those either) in this area even if you didn't want to add filtration/restriction generally.

I think the crepe bandage is a better idea as it is not designed to come apart. and in a heavy influx environment you could just take it off and roll another right on.

UD

I don't see it as an either-or. As I said, an inner crepe bandage (or foam, or other textile) layer will probably protect the filter from getting fibres stuck to it if an outer paper layer disintegrates, though I don't currently think that's a huge risk.

Dependent on the restriction introduced, it would probably be worth retaining a paper layer since its disposable and shows the dirt nicely.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje

I already have one. There's a picture of it above, for those (quite a few localy, it seems) with attention deficit and/or reading difficulty.

I suppose I should make a Youtube video, but I'm not going to.

Actually, when I scrapped my Sierra here, I'd started to remove the air filter plumbing with the idea of fitting it to this car as a prefilter (I have the luxury of some free space in the engine compartment) but the salvage truck turned up before I'd removed the air box, so I threw the rest away.

I'd think most people with more modern vehicles would struggle to find the space for that kind of thing.

Suggestion for the paper pre-filter: Use coffee filter paper instead of toilet paper. Reason: much better structural integrity in the presence of humid air. A filter that disintegrates into pasty blobs might restrict flow badly.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Suggestion for the paper pre-filter: Use coffee filter paper instead of toilet paper. Reason: much better structural integrity in the presence of humid air. A filter that disintegrates into pasty blobs might restrict flow badly.

I'm using paper hand towel, which probably has similar structural properties to coffee filter paper, plus its available in the right form factor (continuous roll, no perforations, though its too wide so it needs to be bisected longitudinally) FOR FREE in the campus toilets. I have actually used this as a coffee filter when I ran out and it worked OK.

AFAIK coffee filter paper is only readily available as coffee filters, so to use them I'd have to make a K&N stylee cone filter thing. This would be sort-of-amusing but the joke probably isn't worth the trouble.

Toilet paper in the title is admittedly a bit misleading, though its mostly misleading because apparently nobody actually reads the thread, which I should have anticipated but didn't.

I will try actual toilet paper because it might not need to be cut to width, so would be more convenient, and its more generally available and portable than the probably superior hand towel which I wouldn't know where to buy.

Given all the concern expressed on the structural robustness of toilet paper I'll try it, at least in the first instance, as a pre-pre-filter, with an inner layer of something else, probably hand towel, but I think that concern is exaggerated.

If it desintegrated into "pasty blobs" "in the presence of humid air" it would be dripping off the roll in Taiwan, and you'd have trouble getting it off your arse.

Separately from water damage, after the pilot test I do have some doubt about the softer grades ability to withstand the airflow in the air intake region, so some special protection might be required there.

Last edited:
Another run, single paper towel thickness, dry windy cold-for-here (about 10C) day, maybe about 30k though havn't measured it, mixed urban traffic and freeway run at max 80-90 kph

(I'm very unpopular on single lane slip roads. Tough. I'm not popping my head gasket for some Porsche Cayenne pilot with a standard-issue sense of entitlement.)

Y'all will be pleased to hear that there seems to be A SNAG.

Similar appearance to last time, i.e discoloration concentrated opposite the air intake with some sign of fluid staining. I don't THINK this is from the decoke/restriction manometer since I shut it off, being out of distilled water.

I think its blowby.

With the towel wrapped around the filter it could be providing a wicking path for blowby to get to the outside of the filter which would actually accelerate its contamination. This would not be good.

I've trimmed the next piece of towel/tp (a layer of each this time with a supplementary pad) to fit better (no wrap round). Routing blowby via a catch thing (or temporarily disconnecting) would be other options.

Second run, single thickness, as described above. Very similar appearance to the first run, except there is tearing.

Third run, identical route but freeway speed probably a little less due to thinner traffic.

One layer of hand towel, one of TP, with overlap and a local pad of 4 thicknesses of hand towel opposite the air intake. Trimmed narrower due to suspicion original was bridging the filter gasket.

In situ

The pad.

Just past the pad.

It seems the original wrap-around arrangement was wicking blowby into the area opposite the air intake, and might also have been compromising filter performance.

This latest trimmed 2-layer arrangment shows no obvious signs of this. I did not use the "restriction gauge/decoker for this run so currently don't know how much restriction it applies.

The supplementary pad was a response to the contamination observed earlier and may no longer be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back