To RTV, or not to RTV

RTV and automatic transmissions usually don't mix together too well. Though there are some idiot manufactures that require it on their transmissions. Not smart.

Oh and like the F-150 oil pan gasket fiasco, to properly use RTV on an in the vehicle automatic transmission it needs to drip for a few days with the pan off, so no fluid gets on the surfaces. Have fun.

I used RTV on all my 80-90s Mopar never had a problem. RTV works fine. I think it was an A413 or A404. I don't know if yours is the 3 or 4 speed but it will be similar.

Roughly a 3/16" uniform bead, I recommend using the correct Mopar RTV as well.....68RFE units used in Ram pickups still use RTV to seal the pan so it's readily available.
What do you think about Permatex "The Right Stuff" I have had good look with that were RTV has been need (SBC intake ends, 3800 intake corners)

What do you think about Permatex "The Right Stuff" I have had good look with that were RTV has been need (SBC intake ends, 3800 intake corners)
ATF and Gear oil require specific RTV‘s due to the deterioration caused by the FM chemistry. OEM’s have always specified am ATF specific RTV and a gear oil specific RTV for this reason.

RTV and automatic transmissions usually don't mix together too well. Though there are some idiot manufactures that require it on their transmissions. Not smart.

Oh and like the F-150 oil pan gasket fiasco, to properly use RTV on an in the vehicle automatic transmission it needs to drip for a few days with the pan off, so no fluid gets on the surfaces. Have fun.
EG,

Please elaborate on the F 150 pan gasket fiasco. I am having a F 150 (Navigator) platform oil pan leak, even after replacing both the pan and the gasket, all OEM. Maybe you know something that might help me understand why I still have a leak.

I wouldn't.
Did the factory gasket have RTV on it?
Service records indicate fluid and filter have been done at least once, and it went back for a leak. Old pan had a rubber gasket with RTV on the pan side. For what it's worth, it was a perfect seal. No dampness anywhere.

Service records indicate fluid and filter have been done at least once, and it went back for a leak. Old pan had a rubber gasket with RTV on the pan side. For what it's worth, it was a perfect seal. No dampness anywhere.
I was going to recommend some Permatex "High Tack" on the pan side of the gasket and a Felpro rubber impregnated paper gasket. All you have to do is lay the gasket on a spread out news paper with the pan side facing up, and spray it down. That'll allow for a bond between the gasket and that glossy smooth gasket surface you have on the pan.

I was going to recommend some Permatex "High Tack" on the pan side of the gasket and a Felpro rubber impregnated paper gasket. All you have to do is lay the gasket on a spread out news paper with the pan side facing up, and spray it down. That'll allow for a bond between the gasket and that glossy smooth gasket surface you have on the pan.

Hylomar M is a superior product for that purpose.

More info here:

Hylomar M is a superior product for that purpose.

More info here:
You mean use Hylomar M instead of a gasket?

On both sides of the gasket?
If a dressing is desired, yes.

Only time I use a dressing is if the surface is in less than perfect condition. This usually stems from someone using RTV on the pan when it should have been a gasket.

If a dressing is desired, yes.

Only time I use a dressing is if the surface is in less than perfect condition. This usually stems from someone using RTV on the pan when it should have been a gasket.
Ok cool. I've heard somewhere that Honda doesn't even offer a pan gasket for their cars; that you have to use Hylomar by itself.

Every Honda oil pan I have ever r/r’ed was sealed using RTV.
It depends, my old Accord uses a gasket and it's still available from Honda. The OEM pan is designed with the protrusions to limit the gasket compression.

However, there are aftermarket pans available that don't have the protrusions and those are for RTV.

Back