Tires okay for long road trip?

2021 Toyota RAV4, FWD, 30k miles.
Firestone Destination LE 2, have between 5 and 6 / 32 tread now. Will likely be 5/32 by the time we leave.
Planning on driving from NC to CO, about 3k miles round trip, plus what driving we do when there.
I am torn if I should put new tires on before the trip or not.
Thoughts?

They’re fine. 5-6/32 is plenty of tread.

They lost 4/32 in 30,000 miles, so you’re going to lose less than 1/32 in this trip.

Now, if you don’t really like them, you could get something newer, quieter and smoother and enjoy that on the trip.

But these tires are just fine for what you have planned

2 year old car so I assume you're not worried about the age but tread depth. Remember, race cars often drive on BALD tires at 200 mph. If you're driving on dry roads, no concern at all. If driving in the rain, you can drop your speed if you feel it getting loose. Better to take worn but known good set of tires on a long trip then brand new ones that may have a manufacturing defect show up halfway through the trip.

You sure are excited about this trip and preparing, that is commendable.

Those are probably the factory originals, and at 30k that's not bad if they have life left. If you want to treat it right spend big bucks on some Michelin's once the time comes.

You do not need to buy new tires before the trip, but you should start shopping for tires soon though. The Labor Day or Black Friday sale would be a good time to replace them :unsure:

The car is fairly new and I would go ahead and run it. If the tires were 5 or 6 years old and out of balance then I would replace them before the trip. I put brand new Michelins on my 2014 Corvette before I drove it 550 miles home.

They’re fine. 5-6/32 is plenty of tread.

They lost 4/32 in 30,000 miles, so you’re going to lose less than 1/32 in this trip.

Now, if you don’t really like them, you could get something newer, quieter and smoother and enjoy that on the trip.

But these tires are just fine for what you have planned
^^^^^ This

However, if for some reason you feel uncomfortable with these tires, change 'em before the trip and allow ample time for alignment and careful balancing. Sometimes a car needs more than one trip through the alignment and balancing processes.

Sorry, I did not elaborate on what my concern is, as I should have.
Yes, safety, really. Resistance to hydroplaning, etc.
Thanks.

I think you will be fine with the current tires. I'd be more concerned with age/any dry rot over 5-6/32 of tread.

With that said, the last time I bought new tires before a road trip it drove me nuts because one or two were not balanced right.

With that said, the last time I bought new tires before a road trip it drove me nuts because one or two were not balanced right.
There's a lot that can go wrong with a car if you mess with it just before a big trip.

I checked the air pressure in my wife's tires when it was zero degrees out and heading for -15. A piece of ice from condensation got stuck in the valve core and slowly deflated the tire overnight!

Check everything in your car ~3 days before you leave, tug on the hood to make sure it's latched, then send it!

PS, I'd run those tires.

You can be contemplating what your tread depth is during the 7+ hour mind numbing drive across Kansas.
You're not lieing, that has to be the most boring drive in America. It's so flat, straight, featureless, and monotonous! Especially if you set your cruise control!

Back