Tires for 2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG,

I recently purchased a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited (2.4) with 17,000 miles to be driven by my soon to be 16 year old son. It still has the OEM Kumho Solus tires on it that measure between 4/32 and 7/32 depending on tire, so I plan to replace at least 2 (and most likely all 4) tires within the next 6 months or 5K miles or so.

Looking for recommendations with the following criteria:
- 215/55-17
- 50,000 mile or more tread wear warranty
- $90 - $130ish each price range
- generally prefer to purchase at Discount Tire
- snow performance is not a major consideration
- I am not particularly brand loyal but have had good luck previously with Pirelli and Yokohama tires of various makes, not so fond of the Nitto and Cooper tires I have owned, and would like to steer clear of the truly bargain priced no name tires.

I'd appreciate any insight or recommendations, especially from those of you with first hand experience on the same or similar car. Thank you!

Last edited:
I usually wait for Costco to have "$70 off" or whatever, then go into Wheel Works and ask them to beat the deal.
I usually end up with higher-end Bridgestones.
Wheel Works (now part of Stone-Fire) does nice alignment work.
Oh yeah, I bust their balls on that price as well.

Replace all 4, those Kumhos are miserable tires (I have them on my Sonata and can't wait to replace them).

Pirelli Cinturato P7 is a good choice.

Very nice car for a 16 year old. Yokohama Avid Ascend is what my friend recommends who works at a tire store. Pirelli should be step up from the Yoko would be my guess.

If you don't need all-season tires, get the Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun. It is $105 at DT. A grand touring summer tire seems like the best way to go. I know you said you like Pirelli, but DT/DTD doesn't carry the Cinturato P1, but you can get it here for $102.

If you do need all-season, consider the Toyo Celsius. $117 and has a 60k warranty, but it's not from DT/DTD. You can get the Nokian WRG4 on eBay for $116. DT has the older WRG3, but it's $150. Both are rated for 60k.

DT does have the Dunlop Signature II for $104. The Signature II has a 65k warranty.

Altimax RT43's
smile.gif

Yokohama Avid Envigor is a good Tire for the money. DON'T get talked into General Altimax RT43s. I had a bad experience with a set on a Hyundai Tucson. I CAN NOT AND WILL NOT RECOMMEND General Altimax RT43s.

Last edited:
I had Kumho Solus on my Elantra they were terrible. The car still got 33,000 miles out of them. I second the wait for Costco rebate week and get your tire store to match it. Now Costco is $70 off plus 1 cent mounting so saved $129.

I got a set of 4 Michelin - X Tour A/S T + H out the door for $405 which is within your budget. $101 and change per tire, installed.

The Altimax RT43 has good wet handling, decent dry (considering the treadwear.) The only issue I have with them is the super lack of steering response because the sidewalls are suuuuper soft.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew
The Altimax RT43 has good wet handling, decent dry (considering the treadwear.) The only issue I have with them is the super lack of steering response because the sidewalls are suuuuper soft.

I've got a set on my Camry.

I've described them on here before as handling like you're driving on a road of mashed potatoes.

I would consider the new Yokohama Avid Ascend GT which is a soft riding Grand Touring tire that apparently has excellent wet traction. The 215/55-17 size would probably be within your price range.

I wouldn't buy RT43's if only because there's a significant weight difference in my size vs. both the OEM and most replacement models...to the tune of almost 3 pounds per tire. YMMV but it would be something to check. To me, that doesn't bid well for a small size like mine used on bad roads and the potential for blowouts, bubbling, or similar.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I've got a set on my Camry.

I've described them on here before as handling like you're driving on a road of mashed potatoes.

Pretty much sums up the ride hah.

Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
I would consider the new Yokohama Avid Ascend GT which is a soft riding Grand Touring tire that apparently has excellent wet traction. The 215/55-17 size would probably be within your price range.

I wouldn't buy RT43's if only because there's a significant weight difference in my size vs. both the OEM and most replacement models...to the tune of almost 3 pounds per tire. YMMV but it would be something to check. To me, that doesn't bid well for a small size like mine used on bad roads and the potential for blowouts, bubbling, or similar.

2 pound different between the Avid Ascend GT (24) and the RT43 (22) at that size.

Take a look at the Continental TrueContact Tour.

I just got a set on my Ford last week and I am amazed at how smooth and quiet these tires are. Pirelli P7 A/S+ tires are thumpy for a first few miles because of the nylon belt that Pirelli uses to quiet down the ride needs to warm up; the Continentals are smooth from the get-go and are quieter at all speeds and across all different types of pavement. In addition, my Pirellis were borderline dangerous in the rain (since new); so far the Continentals have been superb with all of this rain that we are getting on the East Coast. I am really impressed with the hydroplaning resistance of the Continentals compared to the Pirellis. I only have around 500 miles on them so I cannot comment on longevity yet.

Several have suggested the YK Avid Ascends, and I can speak from experience that they are olay but not particularly good. They have great dry traction and resistance to hydroplaning. I can't speak to snow traction. My biggest complaint is that they nearly always spin when taking off on wet surfaces. And they are a little noisy, but not real bad.

Spinning at take off is partially because of front wheel drive (Honda Odyssey), but the previous tires (Continental) did not do this.

Originally Posted by RyanY
Several have suggested the YK Avid Ascends, and I can speak from experience that they are olay but not particularly good. They have great dry traction and resistance to hydroplaning. I can't speak to snow traction. My biggest complaint is that they nearly always spin when taking off on wet surfaces. And they are a little noisy, but not real bad.

Spinning at take off is partially because of front wheel drive (Honda Odyssey), but the previous tires (Continental) did not do this.

Yea tirerack also saw the same thing for those tires, awful rain performance. They came in last compared to 3 others.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=166

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back