tire rotation for Honda Pilot 4 wheel drive

rcs

Hi guys/gals,...I read through some of the posts, but became more confused. I have Michelin LTX M/S tires, only 6 months old. When I get my oil changed today I have them rotate the tires. I mark the tires so I know if it was done. Which is the proper way? Front to back or crisscross?
Thanks in advance for your time and expertise in answering my question.

I've always done front to rear, but Costco takes the fronts, moves them to the rear and crosses them, if the tires are not directional. So for me, front to rear, rear to front, same side of axle, But do I know more than Costco? And if the sizes are different, then no rotation, I would never just move from one side to the other on the same axle, when not directional.

At any rate, I decided once to see what happens if I don't rotate at all, on a FWD car, my 1998 maxima SE.

The front tires wore out in 27k, when I would expect roughly 55k out of them. I was thinking this is why FWD and FWD biased cars are to avoided....

I follow what's in the owners manual.

I can never remember what it is so I have to look it up every time.

Screenshot_20230427-074547-185.jpg

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I think the dealership did front to back then crossed the backs. As I mentioned I mark the rims
where the valve stem is. I wasn't sure if it is something the car manufacturer recommends in terms of direction or if it is from
the tire manufacturer.

ckx979uf60bsh01glb2hi5v1y-preferred-tire-rotation-patterns.one-sixth.png

This is from the Michelin website just for information. Thanks again!

Directional like my snows go front to back.

Asymmetrical like all my 3 season go back to front, cross the fronts. Evens out the light feathering if I get any.

Been doing it that way for 45+ years from back when dad had me changing them.

4WD/AWD for me more critical to keep all close to even wear with the sensitive systems that engage rear differentials and may cause added wear.

My father-in-law didn't rotate on his '04 CRV. Cost him a rear diff and new tires. The CR-V was a manual system that if the fronts spin faster it would engage pumps in differential to force it to engage. Worn tires up front were "smaller" and would constantly try to get rear to engage but couldn't due to dry ground and no slip. Fluid got way to hot too many times and destroyed the diff. Expensive lesson out of warranty on not rotating frequently enough.

Last edited:
Directional like my snows go front to back.

Asymmetrical like all my 3 season go back to front, cross the fronts. Evens out the light feathering if I get any.

Been doing it that way for 45+ years from back when dad had me changing them.

4WD/AWD for me more critical to keep all close to even wear with the sensitive systems that engage rear differentials and may cause added wear.

My father-in-law didn't rotate on his '04 CRV. Cost him a rear diff and new tires. The CR-V was a manual system that if the fronts spin faster it would engage pumps in differential to force it to engage. Worn tires up front were "smaller" and would constantly try to get rear to engage but couldn't due to dry ground and no slip. Fluid got way to hot too many times and destroyed the diff. Expensive lesson out of warranty on not rotating frequently enough.
Wow! Thanks so much for that info. I did not realize the intricacies of the system!

Since the 1980s I have rotated my tires front to back same side.. Never had a radial pull and would get 70 to 80 thousand out of a set of tires and a even wear. Most of the time they were Michelins...

Wow! Thanks so much for that info. I did not realize the intricacies of the system!
What year is the Pilot? different generations have different setups. For me that basically applied to all 4WD/AWD setups.

Jeep had TSB's WAY back about different tire brands of same "size" tire having different diameters combined with poor rotations ruining the transfer cases in the fulltime AWD Grand Cherokees etc. The 245-60-18 Michelin was not the same as the 245-60-18 Firestone etc. as example.

If you haven't yet also check out Piloteers.org for vehicle discussions.

What year is the Pilot? different generations have different setups. For me that basically applied to all 4WD/AWD setups.

Jeep had TSB's WAY back about different tire brands of same "size" tire having different diameters combined with poor rotations ruining the transfer cases in the fulltime AWD Grand Cherokees etc. The 245-60-18 Michelin was not the same as the 245-60-18 Firestone etc. as example.

If you haven't yet also check out Piloteers.org for vehicle discussions.
2015 Touring Pilot. Yes I am going to check on Piloteers forum also, thanks for your reply!

...... For instance, it's explicitly forbidden on our X3.
BMW doesn't like tire rotation. I'm guessing they feel that rotating tires temporarily decreases a vehicle's handling - and they have a point.

But I think they are wrong and haven't considered the big picture. Normally I would say follow the manual, but in the case of BMW, I would make an exception.

Forget the forums, read the MANUAL!
Some manufacturers don't recommend rotating tires on AWD. For instance, it's explicitly forbidden on our X3.
If the sizes are staggered it definitely makes that a lot harder.

I can only go by my AWD experiences and reading/learning. The more sensitive the system, the more matched diameter probably matters (unless computer is programmed to recognize/adapt).

My old Sequoia wouldn't lock in the center diff if the wheels were moving at different speeds. Ii wasn't supposed to be used on dry ground and areas that didn't allow tire slip. If you were in that and planning for mud/snow/sand you had to stop, put the truck in neutral then engage it. I did that many times the night before snow so it would be locked in. Worked well.

Forget the forums, read the MANUAL!
Some manufacturers don't recommend rotating tires on AWD. For instance, it's explicitly forbidden on our X3.
Which can lead to BIG problem.
1. If it is staggered, yes, you can’t rotate.
2. But uneven wear between axels will definitely, and I mean DEFINITELY, grenade transfer case at some point.
BMW wants tires within 1/4” between 4 wheels (therefore BMW star spec) and yet they don’t want you to rotate. Doesn’t make absolutely any sense.

If you have the Michelin CrossClimate (OG, Plus & 2), then you cannot follow that. Since they are directional tires, they cannot be cross-rotated, so with them, you have to do front-rear, rear-front only.
I was at my daughters school yesterday to get her car so I can find/fix power steering leak. The Audi next to her car had the the cross climate 2's on wrong direction. I showed her and she shook her head, followed by "the guy is an a$$hole anyway".

• Haha
Reactions: rcs
I was at my daughters school yesterday to get her car so I can find/fix power steering leak. The Audi next to her car had the the cross climate 2's on wrong direction. I showed her and she shook her head, followed by "the guy is an a$$hole anyway".
Yesterday I was in Boulder going to some restaurant in the area where bunch of college kids hang out. Subaru Outback was pulling out of parking lot and rear tire (I think Michelin Defender) was seriously deflated. Girl had open window and I told her, and she literally said: “whatever dude.”

Back