Time for a new computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a HP p2 1343w desk top (AMD E2)bought in 2012-13. It's become very slow when checking e-mail, especially Hotmail waiting for ads to load. Still seems reasonably fast when accessing most websites. I use it mainly for internet access, ROKU, and not much else. Trend Micro security, memory is mostly empty, ran Win-cleaner (which didn't do much). Just time to get a new one? I'm not very knowledgeable in this department. It seems you can buy a new basic tower for $200-300.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I save your data to a USB drive and reload the operating system. ed

My brother does this every three years and says it brings the computer back to original speed....

That E2 was slow the day it was released. If the OP wants to stick with Windows, then maybe look at a refurbished Dell or HP in that price range. Alternatively, give Linux Mint a try.

You have a dual core CPU of 1.7 GHz--its not a speed demon by any stretch of the imagination, but I agree with those who recommend saving data that you want to keep, and then re-loading Windows.

One other suggestion, based on what you are saying---I'd make sure that I have an adblocker on any browser (and certainly when accessing your email). Make sure it gets updated automatically (most adblockers are set to do this by default) and this should speed up your browsing.

I don't know how much $200-300 would hurt, but if you are ok with everything except ads slowing down your email, you could probably get away with using this for a while longer, stretching your dollars farther. I'd try the reload Windows + make sure you surf with an adblocker before shelling out money for a new computer. I mean, you can always go to Walmart or best buy later on if this doesn't do it for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
refurb.io has some interesting stuff
https://us.refurb.io/collections/dell-de...d-windows-7-pro
Before buying any SFF, much less USFF box, check the availability & cost of NEW OEM PSs. Don't let anyone talk you into paying good money for a USED PS loaded with dust. By choosing a standard larger tower, your choice of NEW quality PSs with a warranty GREATLY expand.

Been there. Done that. Never again.

Didn't mention your OS. I'd suggest reading up over at TweakHound. At a minimum, you'll need to check your HD for problems, eliminate junk files, then defragment.

I don't know a thing about hotmail nor if you use an email client or web-based email. However with thunderbird, you must empty trash & "compact folders" to actually dump the trash. Odd that. Also the Inbox folder is usually all fragmented to high-heaven according to the frag report.

Task manager will easily show you which programs are consuming the most RAM and the most CPU time.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Didn't mention your OS. I'd suggest reading up over at TweakHound. At a minimum, you'll need to check your HD for problems, eliminate junk files, then defragment.

I don't know a thing about hotmail nor if you use an email client or web-based email. However with thunderbird, you must empty trash & "compact folders" to actually dump the trash. Odd that. Also the Inbox folder is usually all fragmented to high-heaven according to the frag report.

Task manager will easily show you which programs are consuming the most RAM and the most CPU time.

Well it came with Windows 8, might be 8.1 now? Where can I find it listed? As you can see I know little about it. I'm using Internet Explorer. Task manager shows IE is using everything when it's going slow. Yahoo Mail, AOL Mail, Hotmail are all moving slowly as to be a problem. It was what I would consider VERY fast when it was newer, even though it's a low power chip (AMD E2). 0% fragmentation of the HD, junk files and temp files cleaned up, so it's either have somebody take a look at it for me, which would probably be over $100, or just get a new one in the $200-$300 or so range.

STOP using IE!!!! at minimum go download firefox or chrome. best advise i can say is Give Linux Mint a try. it's viri free OS. and will breath new life into your older PC.
ditch Windows.

I'd upgrade it to W10, then do a fresh install of W10. That machine should be able to handle email and websurfing.

As suggested I would perform a reinstall. Failing that here's a few simple things to add to the other good suggestions:

Open up your terminal with command prompt cmd in the search bar to clear your dns. type in ipconfig /flushdns then hit enter.

open file explorer right click on your system drive > properties > disk cleanup > clean up system files > check off all the boxes > ok

Open up your terminal with command prompt cmd in the search bar to check and repair disk errors. type in chkdsk /r then enter

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
I have a HP p2 1343w desk top (AMD E2)bought in 2012-13. It's become very slow when checking e-mail, especially Hotmail waiting for ads to load. Still seems reasonably fast when accessing most websites. I use it mainly for internet access, ROKU, and not much else. Trend Micro security, memory is mostly empty, ran Win-cleaner (which didn't do much). Just time to get a new one? I'm not very knowledgeable in this department. It seems you can buy a new basic tower for $200-300.

Yes, you can use a new one, your price range is good, and if you watch the ads over a couple weeks time even do better.

For fun, you can also download and run bleachbit, truly free, good people who developed it and will clean up the stuff you select.

A clean operating system re-install will definitely bring back the original speed for this machine, which should be more than enough for the tasks OP mentioned.
I would save the $300 and instead invest $50 of that into an SSD. Besides, a $300 computer will repeat exactly the same cycle as OP's current machine.

However I would not use the recovery option that was provided by the manufacturer, as it will install all the bloatware, which I bet contributes greatly to the overall speed. I would download an ISO file from Microsoft with the same version of Win7 that is installed, find out the activation key of my current machine, make a backup of my drivers and install pure win7.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
A clean operating system re-install will definitely bring back the original speed for this machine, which should be more than enough for the tasks OP mentioned.
I would save the $300 and instead invest $50 of that into an SSD. Besides, a $300 computer will repeat exactly the same cycle as OP's current machine.

However I would not use the recovery option that was provided by the manufacturer, as it will install all the bloatware, which I bet contributes greatly to the overall speed. I would download an ISO file from Microsoft with the same version of Win7 that is installed, find out the activation key of my current machine, make a backup of my drivers and install pure win7.

How does one find there key on there Pc, Is it listed someplace??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back