Throttle body icing? Anyone?

Ethanol fuel helps to remove the water from the gas system since you are running it all year-round. Just like using dry gas. That means there is no water in the fuel to freeze in the throttle body (if it has throttle body injection) or the carb. In the "old days" before widespread use of ethanol gas I used to have this problem on various cars, including some fi ones.
The freezing is from the moisture in the air, not the fuel so much. I have an antique tractor with a large 4cyl 283 cubic inch engine fed through a very small carburetor. Even on a hot day the the intake manifold behind the throttle plate gets very cold and condenses atmospheric moisture and will drip if it doesn't freeze. Let's not forget the Ford 4.0 with the coolant heated pcv valve either.

Trying to reinvent the wheel here it seems. I can't recall ever hearing about a coolant leak at the TB. Makes no sense to disable IMO just like the myth of running a lower temp thermostat on any car with fuel injection and O2 sensors.

Carb icing is a thing but I doubt it would happen in an EFI car.

Believe i had same issue on my S60 (profile pic) many years ago when i lived up north with severly cold winter. I happened at a couple of occasions where the check engine light came on when driving at severe cold. Dealer used a diagnostic tool to reset the trouble code and
told me if this issue comes up again, remove front intake tube between grille and air filter box so the engine suck in more hot air.
I did that and it seemed like it did the trick. The TB on this car are not heated in anyway, apart from being heatsoaked from the engine.
So it seems to me like this can happen and happens probably to a lot of people even to this day.

Back