Thoughts on armalite

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts? Its a fat pig at 7 pounds with a heavy barrel, which is exactly opposite of what most in the market want, which is a pencil barrel 6.1 pound carbine. I'm sure its a nice rifle and will work fine, but my years and years experience, coupled with the 25-30 AR platform rifles I have owned, tell me that I PERSONALLY would leave that thing in the safe and never find a use for it. It an overweight fatty, and no one likes overweight fatties.

I cant stress enough how adding even the smallest amount of weight, perhaps half a pound, can completely kill the feel and balance of a rifle. And why put a heavy barrel on a 16 inch carbine? It makes almost no sense. If you WANT a heavy barrel, precision rig, you are most likely to choose an 18 or 20 inch barrel, not a 16 inch barrel.

I've had some really nice, expensive(ish) rifles from Spikes, Colt and BCM. My favorite rifle? A bone stock Colt 6720 pencil barrel lightweight carbine. Everything I need. Nothing I dont.
6720.jpg

I never felt 5.56 was enough gun. (Not trying to start a caliber war) My friends shoot 5.56 among others & I used to as well. It seems like 5.56x45 is good enough for most encounters but I think it’s a good idea to up the power to cover more situations. I have switched over to : 6.8 spc. & .308 : YMMV. The price on target 6.8 Ammo has dropped nicely in the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back