Thoughts- 1991 Chevy Pickup C/K 1500 V8 4WD Xt Cab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grab it if the price is right. My buddy had a 94 that he sold with 300K, original drivetrain! Had the 5.7, darn good truck.

Go for it.

It will have problems 25+ year old trucks have. Leaks, turn signal switch, maybe hinge pins/bushings (doors look ok on that one though), and who knows what else, but that's a clean example. I'd sell that hideous shell and drive it. That's very low miles and those trucks are still very serviceable.

I ended up purchasing this truck. It's virtually mint on the exterior and interior as it was kept in a heated garage. It was driven by a 80 year old man who has passed and was serviced at his local Chevrolet dealer.

Here are more photos from their listing. It's really cold here so I won't be doing much to it until it warms up a bit at which point I'll detail it myself on the inside and out and start doing the maintenance stuff on it such as fluids, filters, etc.

From the looks of it, the alternator is new, the battery is new and the exhaust system is new also.

Last edited:
I noticed some came with the 6 lug and some with 5 lug. I wonder if I can find a build sheet for this truck to see exactly what options it has on it.

Gorgeous truck! I hope you don't let it rust out, those are great. I used to have a 96' C1500, and my brother currently has a 94' K2500 that he's put a new transmission and engine in.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
I noticed some came with the 6 lug and some with 5 lug. I wonder if I can find a build sheet for this truck to see exactly what options it has on it.

2wd C1500 trucks are 5 lug, 4x4 K2500 trucks are 6 lug.

Edit: I meant 4x4 K1500* truck's are 6 lug

Last edited:

I think 6-lug is 30-spline axles used on 4WD models, and 5-lug is 28-spline axles on 2WD models.

This one is a Silverado 1500 with the 6 lug wheels.

This thing even has a CB radio on the inside. You can see the antenna on the roof.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

I think 6-lug is 30-spline axles used on 4WD models, and 5-lug is 28-spline axles on 2WD models.

All 1990 & up 8.5" diffs are 30 spline. Some 88 & 89 2wd were 28 spline.

Originally Posted By: ThankYouma
Real quick? I always thought the 2500 Silverado of the same year was a better truck. I think that got the C/K designation as well. ?
What do you mean “better truck”?

Ditto on checking for rust.

I thought the option sheet was on the glovebox door? I recall several years ago having the itch to get a Silverado, and was looking used, and there was a website where, once I registered, I could have up to 5 VIN's decoded. Chevy models of course, but it'd tell what diff gearing etc. No idea if still around. But perhaps the local dealership could decode it for you?

Those GMT400s can live a long, happy life if well maintained and if you know the quirks of these. I'm more familiar with the 1996-2000 refresh of those with the 4L60E and CSPI system. It's a good truck to DIY on, hopefully this model isn't using the newer Kelsey-Hayes ABS system that needs a Tech II or similar scan tool to cycle the valves and solenoids for routine brake bleed.

If you ever get the itch to "modernize" the interior with a later GMT400 dash from a 1996-2000s truck, it should fit.

Yours isn't affected by the mid-life cut over to the new CSPI system, it's quirky but worth a read: http://www.chevythunder.com/gm_cpi_and_cspi_19922004.htm

Thanks! Hopefully it will serve me well. It's brutally cold here. Can't start doing the fluids, preventive maintenance or even a detail. Buying a used vehicle the winter sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back