Those with 5.3's weigh in

The 5.3 was great from 2001 to 2006. 2007 to 2013 the cylinder deactivation took them out at early as 1200 miles when they used to leave casting sand in the cylinder heads. Ask me how I know!! Anywho, anyone with a 2007 to 13 should be running synthetic 0w40 changed at no more than 5000 miles and delete the 4 cylinder mode. But thats just my personal opinion. ( thats what our techs at GM used to do with their personal trucks and they never had an issue )

Does plugging in a trailer connector deactivate the AMf?
I heard this does on some trucks, maybe the ones that shut the engine off I'm not sure.
That's a option I dont want either

No it does not. Nor does using tow-haul mode. An option is (as mentioned) is a Range Technology device.

One tick to note and disregard on 2014+ GM trucks is the clicking of the high pressure direct injection pump. One plus of the range device is that it can be pulled out from the OBDII port and there are no changes to the computer for GM to see: this for those who still are under GM warranty.

The 2019+ trucks have Dynamic Fuel management which is more complicated and can shut down up to six of the eight cylinders at one time and can function on any of the eight cylinders. To my knowledge there isn't a way to easily disable this, but I hear Range is working on a unit. But in the spirit of BITOG the best thing to do is to change with quality dexos rated oil and well built filter on a timely basis;. A clean lifter is a happier lifter, and hopefully won't give you any problems.

Leave the afm alone and change the oil more frequently with the money you would have spent. It will last until the transmission gives up or the body rots.
using 0w20 I run my 2017 for 4K and change the $4 filter and that makes room for a fresh quart … run to 7k at around 10% OLM left … this is around 9 months all in … then full oil change …
there is no piston slap and no consumption

I have owned three. A 2000 Silverado, a 2006 Silverado, and now a 2004 Avalanche. The Silverados developed oil consumption after 150K miles.

The Avalanche I just bought used and it drinks oil. White smoke upon start up, but stops within a minute or two.

Believe it or not, none of the three ever had any piston slap. I run 10w-30 MaxLife or SuperTech HM with a NAPA Gold filter.

I've had 3 5.3s, two with DOD. I have deleted it on both and have gotten better fuel economy and almost 0 oil consumption with it deleted. My 08 drank oil until it was shut off. Other then that they're great engines. Go on YouTube and see all the guys running 150,000+ stock bottom end 5.3s and 6.0s in drag cars with power adders.

I have had three-a 2011- a 2012 and now a 2018. I tired a Range Device, mpg went down and the downshifts on the transmission went bad. A problem that Range acknowledged, that occurs on some trucks.

I sold the device.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Railrust
Originally Posted by AZjeff
You can turn DOD off but the parts are still in there and they've been working for 108k. Luck of the draw if he'll have any problems but good synthetic oil on conservative OCIs does seem to help. The only way to know they won't fail is to replace the DOD parts with normal stuff. Kits out there to do it. A guy at work has a 2007 Silverado 5.3, first year of DOD and the most likely to fail, he bought new now over 160k with no problems. He only short trips, OC is whenever he remembers, couldn't tell you what oil and filter was ever put in at the quicklube places and Wallyworld. Owners on silveradosierra.com have reported failures after turning DOD off doing short OCIs with good stuff. Point is no guarantee, he might run it another 108k if he does nothing or it might fail the week after he turns DOD off. There might have been some mechanical updates by 2010 making it more reliable.

CKN, your 2018 has an Ecotec3 motor that pretty much fixed the failures.

Edit: I thought ls1Mike did a delete and he posted while I was typing....

I have a 2018 and I'm on the Silverado forums all of the time...as far as I can see, they haven't fixed the lifter failures on the newer models. I personally haven't experienced it - hopefully never will - but others sure have. Unfortunately lots of problems on the newer trucks...injectors, torque converters, starters, AC condensers.

We must be on different forums (And I'm three specific GM truck forums)-I haven't seen ANY FAILURES (AFM parts) on the 2018-5.3s. So even if there are-it's not widespread.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^The 2018 are pretty solid-there are some torque converter issues. But it's not widespread.

You must not go to the forums often.

That’s in a 30 second search. There is probably 20 threads on gmtrucks.com alone.

best thing is to avoid chev and dodge till they stop this madness.
GM sells (conservatively) 40,000 units a month of SIlverado/Sierra combined-the new DOD started in 2007. Yes there are complaints but the number of 5.3's not having issues are beyond counting.

You must not go to the forums often.

That’s in a 30 second search. There is probably 20 threads on gmtrucks.com alone.
Several years ago and at 135,000 miles, I replaced a 2006 Silverado's 5.3L Gen III L59 Engine because of camshaft failure. Dropped a new 5.3L crate in its place.

So far, so good. Outside of that HUGE expense, this Alaskan truck has served us well. We still have it. Runs and looks great at 186,000 miles. It has very little rust.

It consumes a steady diet of synthetics -- oil, transfer case, differentials and grease. An exception would be Chevron Supreme during warmer months.

Last edited:
Several years ago and at 135,000 miles, I replaced a 2006 Silverado's 5.3L Gen III L59 Engine because of camshaft failure. Dropped a new 5.3L crate in its place.

So far, so good. Outside of that HUGE expense, this Alaskan truck has served us well. We still have it. Runs and looks great at 186,000 miles. It has very little rust.

It consumes a steady diet of synthetics -- oil, transfer case, differentials and grease. An exception would be Chevron Supreme during warmer months.
Let me ask you, did you replace it with the same Gen lll L59, or did you get a newer engine with displacement on demand or direct injection? I'm assuming you replaced it with a Gen lll...and yup, that should last you forever...actually surprised the cam went at 135,000 miles...I usually see those trucks with 250,000 without engine problems.

Let me ask you, did you replace it with the same Gen lll L59, or did you get a newer engine with displacement on demand or direct injection? I'm assuming you replaced it with a Gen lll...and yup, that should last you forever...actually surprised the cam went at 135,000 miles...I usually see those trucks with 250,000 without engine problems.
Replaced with the same. I'm expecting the best... the rest of the truck falling off around the engine and drivetrain.

Back