Those who cook - What are your weekly menus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drosselmier
Why do you refrigerate 16 hours before freezing ? Curious

Letting the rice (or potatoes, or pasta) to cool overnight in the fridge starts the starches "retrograding", or polymerising, changing their form.

semi disfunctional thread here.

Pasta and tomato sauce or with red clam sauce and clams, salad, tuna fish sandwich, chicken and peppers cooked on George Foreman grill, mashed potatoes, baked potato, breaded chicken cutlets or breaded pork chops, sautéed zucchini and squash with onions, fried egg sandwiches...

On busy nights and I’m too tired to cook it may be a can of soup, bowl of cereal or a takeout from chipotle.

I’ve been thinking about trying to make stuffed peppers with rice, beef, onions and cheese.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
My wife has made a gumbo adaption (she loves mine, with a proper roux and whatnot, but has made a faster version)

3 kransky or chorizo if available, 4 chicken thigh fillets.
Dry fry the kransky, until crispy, remove then fry the diced chicken.
Remove, then add onions, bell pepper, celery, and carrot (yeah, I know, but it's good).
When they start to soften, 1 heaping tablespoon of cajun spice, two tablespoons of tomato paste, and two tablespoons of flour. Starts to get clumpy, then adds chicken stock.
When it comes to the boil, adds the meat back, and a can of corn kernels.

Lets bubble for 30 minutes, and served over rice...again, feeds 4 and a couple of lunches.

Here's a good make ahead, an oven baked "dry roux", rather than spending 40 minutes making a "proper" flour/fat roux (aka Cajun Napalm).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogqaWNU8IJE

40 minutes? SERIOUSLY? Mine usually takes 5 minutes, or less. And, ALL good cajuns keep a jar of SAVOIES DARK and LIGHT ROUX on hand. Why 2 shades? Different recipes call for different color/flavor of roux.
Here's a known fact;
A cajun is the only person that knows how much gravy it takes to cover a rice field!
Tonner Ma Sha'!

The kids are away at college and we both work 6 days a week, so Sunday is our day to make food for the week...this week, chicken breasts in broth, baked with asparagus, brussels sprouts and artichoke chunks...gonna eat that all week for lunch, likely just eat carrot sticks and hummus (with vodka on the rocks) for dinner because we're both fried by the time we get home.

No telling what next week's meal might be...whatever is on sale at Kroger and sounds good.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
The kids are away at college and we both work 6 days a week, so Sunday is our day to make food for the week...this week, chicken breasts in broth, baked with asparagus, brussels sprouts and artichoke chunks...gonna eat that all week for lunch, likely just eat carrot sticks and hummus (with vodka on the rocks) for dinner because we're both fried by the time we get home.

No telling what next week's meal might be...whatever is on sale at Kroger and sounds good.

On some Sunday's I make a spaghetti and a casserole. I will use 3 lbs. of ground chuck with a 46 oz. jar of PREGO with mushrooms. Then I add 2-32 oz. cans of HUNTS spaghetti sauce, 2 cans of ROTEL hot tomatoes, 1-16 oz. can of mushrooms, 2 onions, 2 bellpeppers, 1 clove of garlic, and 1/3 cup of sugar. I boil 2-1 lb. packs of regular spaghetti pasta. I split this in half and make a casserole covered with Velveeta cheese baked on 350* for 30 minutes. I then package individual meals and freeze them.

I'd suggest a free trial subscription to either "Cook's Country" or "Cook's Illustrated". Search & download as many free recipes as suits your fancy & store them in a folder on your confuser for easy reference.

You can also search via categories: beef, veg, soup, BBQ, etc.

"Fine Cooking" is another one worth perusing. So is Rick Bayless' page if you like Mexican.

What I cook here depends on the weather. No tunafish sandwiches this time of year. No heavy pot roast or soup or pasta dishes, nor casseroles during Summer. Way too HOT (130°F in the sun, 105°F in the shade, still above 90F at the 10:15p weather cast, high humidity to.)

If you can afford, Blue Apron style meal delivery might be useful. Breaks you out of the routine and also may expose you to new flavors and techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back